Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #1
Notsobraveheart
Notsobraveheart began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Can't Remove DLLs

Please can you someone help! Have used Windows 7 Add / Remove Programs to uninstall Calibre but it has left me with the folder C:\Program Files\Calibre2 in which there is one subfolder \DLLs. This subfolder contains 4 DLLs and 3 .XML files which I am unable to delete/remove (I get a Windows error message saying there is an I/O error). I cannot reinstall Calibre and I cannot complete remove it and just seem to be going around in circles. Any advice would be most gratefully received.
Notsobraveheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Notsobraveheart - I am guessing you did the uninstall when calibre was running.

Did you try to delete them after a reboot ? That should work.

If you still cant delete then try to unlock the files with something like unlocker ==>> http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/ and then try delete. If still no go, get unlocker to do the delete on a restart.

unlocker is a shell extension - i.e. you drive it from right click menu in Windows Explorer (File Explorer if you're on Win8)

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Notsobraveheart

Thanks for your suggestion but unfortunately that didn't work. It seems these dll files are activated on boot up. Any other ideas?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobraveheart View Post
Thanks for your suggestion but unfortunately that didn't work. It seems these dll files are activated on boot up. Any other ideas?
He had another idea quoted below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If you still cant delete then try to unlock the files with something like unlocker ==>> http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/ and then try delete. If still no go, get unlocker to do the delete on a restart.

unlocker is a shell extension - i.e. you drive it from right click menu in Windows Explorer (File Explorer if you're on Win8)
Out of curiosity exactly what are the file names of the pesky files?

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Notsobraveheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
He had another idea quoted below.

Out of curiosity exactly what are the file names of the pesky files?

Good Luck.
Sorry - I should have made it clear that I tried both his suggestions with no success. These are the files that remain:
libpng15.dll
libusbmuxd.dll
libxml2.dll
libxslt.dll
locale.xml
log.xml
magic.xml

Interestingly, even when I try to access the Calibre2\DLLs subfolder it causes Explorer to stop working. Has anybody come across this issue before?
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Sorry - I should have made it clear that I tried both his suggestions with no success. These are the files that remain:
libpng15.dll
libusbmuxd.dll
libxml2.dll
libxslt.dll
locale.xml
log.xml
magic.xml

Interestingly, even when I try to access the Calibre2\DLLs subfolder it causes Explorer to stop working. Has anybody come across this issue before?
The file names exist on my XP install

Explorer freezing Not reported AFAIK
Have you done a disk check? A corrupt file system may cause explorer to go off the deep end.
Do you have hidden (&system) iles showing? Something may not belong there that is hiding
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Notsobraveheart

Not entirely sure what's happened but did as you suggested and ran chkdsk - now have been able to remove all files and folders!

Many thanks for your help!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Not entirely sure what's happened but did as you suggested and ran chkdsk - now have been able to remove all files and folders!

Many thanks for your help!
The allocation table got munged, so the file block linkage ran off the end.
Power event? Nontraditional shutdown?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote