Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #16
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'm quite happy with my screen. No noticeable ghosting.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
It is very strange. I set the Touch to refresh every time. The ghosting seems to come and go though. It is not enough to bother me but it is there.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have significant ghosting on my KT, mostly on the Home screens. But it still bugs me, as it is much worse than with the other Kindles I have had. Seems to me a software update could fix it.

However, between this, the selection limitations, lack of internationalization features like K4, lack of orientation settings, the weird tap zones and inconsistent gestures, loss of 'go to' on Home screen, etc., I will probably be throwing this fish back. I would consider getting it again when there is an update that addresses some of these things. In the meantime I might just root my Nook Touch and run K4Android on there...

Last edited by tomsem; 11-20-2011 at 02:42 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #19
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have significant ghosting on my KT, mostly on the Home screens. But it still bugs me, as it is much worse than with the other Kindles I have had. Seems to me a software update could fix it.

However, between this, the selection limitations, lack of internationalization features like K4, lack of orientation settings, the weird tap zones and inconsistent gestures, loss of 'go to' on Home screen, etc., I will probably be throwing this fish back. I would consider getting it again when there is an update that addresses some of these things. In the meantime I might just root my Nook Touch and run K4Android on there...
I'm actually quite happy with the K4 Touch except the ghosting issue. My replacement reader is on its way so hopefully that'll fix it. I also find the asymmetrical tap zone layout more logical to the Nook STR. Others are really non issue to me personally. And X-Ray is a big plus. What are the "inconsistent gestures" you're referring to?
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #20
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I also experience ghosting rarely, just in certain light. Have not quite figured out the wheres and whens, however.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #21
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
FWIW on a prs-650 there is always significant ghosting when changing to an image / screensaver. This is because the sony only flashes the page when moving between pages of a book. Bear that in mind when seeing ghosting on screensavers. The K4T probably works in the same way.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
I'm actually quite happy with the K4 Touch except the ghosting issue. My replacement reader is on its way so hopefully that'll fix it. I also find the asymmetrical tap zone layout more logical to the Nook STR. Others are really non issue to me personally. And X-Ray is a big plus. What are the "inconsistent gestures" you're referring to?
The gestures are different than the Kindle apps for ios and android. Virtually every other reading app uses tap in center of page to reveal options/menus whereas here of course it advances the page. And on Home page it keeps opening books instead of scrolling the list when I attempt to drag. It is nothing that I cannot train myself about but I fail to see it as any sort of improvement, and I don't find it logical myself. at the least one should be able to reverse the asymmetry, if not choose more conventional tap zones.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #23
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
However, between this, the selection limitations, lack of internationalization features like K4
@tomsem: Sorry, I know this is off-topic, but could you expand on what you mean by 'lack of internationalization features'? Ever since the KT started shipping, I've been wondering if the virtual keyboard can produce accented characters like é, ü and ç. Can it? Thanks in advance.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #24
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
maybe we should have a poll on this thread to vote this?

BTW:Yesterday when I first hear about this ghosting issue, I googled and found that there is a thread on amazon's forum: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...TxMKG3P8ONDKC7
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezh View Post
@tomsem: Sorry, I know this is off-topic, but could you expand on what you mean by 'lack of internationalization features'? Ever since the KT started shipping, I've been wondering if the virtual keyboard can produce accented characters like é, ü and ç. Can it? Thanks in advance.
Yes, you just hold the letter down and alternate forms are presented. Only works for some Latin based languages,however, not eastern european, turkish or vietnamese.

By 'internationalizaton' I was refering to the features found on K4; ability to cahnge UI language, download french/german/spanish dictionaries etc.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #26
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Just to give an update on this. I've had 3 Kindle Touch now, and another one from a friend of mine, they all share the identical ghosting issue, not a huge deal but definitely worse than K4NT. So this seems like a firmware thing to me. I'm just going to live with it since it doesn't bother me much for reading.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #27
jpcapili
Enthusiast
jpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
I have exchanged 4 kindle touch units. All suffering from low-contrast regular font and ghosting issues. I'm tired and I'm keeping the last one. :\
jpcapili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #28
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
Just to give an update on this. I've had 3 Kindle Touch now, and another one from a friend of mine, they all share the identical ghosting issue, not a huge deal but definitely worse than K4NT. So this seems like a firmware thing to me. I'm just going to live with it since it doesn't bother me much for reading.
Wow, I am surprised it is that common. Either most people are not bothered by it, or they are keeping their thoughts to themselves, or you are incredibly 'lucky' or I don't know what. I remember the 'volume level' of complaint was much higher when K3 launched, concerning text 'darkness', and that involved a fraction of the shipments for KT. At any rate I will probably go with the replacement that is waiting for me at home, assuming it is no worse than the KT I initially got. Indeed, I expect it can be addressed with a firmware update
Old 11-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #29
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
My Touch does exactly the same thing on the home screen and screensavers, but I just took it to mean they're not doing a complete refresh between home screens and the screensaver. There's no reason to believe another Touch would behave differently.
This looks like a conscious decision not to flash between home screens. It looks like the setting that we can change only applies inside books. The argument to have would be with Amazon's design team.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #30
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeschr View Post
My Touch does exactly the same thing on the home screen and screensavers, but I just took it to mean they're not doing a complete refresh between home screens and the screensaver....
Same here. Not bothered by it. Within books I have it set to refresh every 6 pages. No problems with ghosting. That's my main concern. Yeah, a full refresh when transitioning to Home or screensaver would be nice and even expected perhaps. I don't feel shortchanged or disappointed in any way.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote