Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #16
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rononmaximus View Post
So, after some research, I used Calibre to remove DRM from a book that I bought and didn't work right in my Kobo through ADE and it works now!! So probably something to do with firmware and DRM rights with books bought outside the Kobo store? No idea how that works!
Actually from what I understand (I may be wrong about this) but ADE assigns a unique ID to each device you authorise and that is tied to your email address. So if you buy a DRM book you can put that book on as many devices as are authorized and tied to YOUR email address.

From what you said earlier that the book works just fine on your brothers Kobo but not yours would lead me to believe that the book is only authorized for your brothers Kobo & email address. By removing the DRM from the book you remove this restriction.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #17
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Was the file type was .acsm? The local library uses that extension when I'm downloading Adobe epub files. The books are DRMed and also time limited. If I want to read it on a Kobo device, the Kobo needs to be authorized with the same account that ADE is authorized with.
Actually any ebook you buy or borrow that has DRM uses that file extention and needs ADE to interpret and download the actual book.

Correction: not every book that you download using ADE & the .acsm extention has DRM but every ebook that does have DRM uses this method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Personally, since every time I do a factory reset, the authorization file gets deleted, I backed up the .adobe-digital-editions folder from the Kobo internal storage which contains two files, one visible called device.xml and the other a hidden file called activation.xml. Copying the activation.xml file back to the Kobo after a reset saves me running out of activations and having to call Adobe to beg for more.
Interesting way around that. Simple and it works, will have to remember that. Not sure if I will need it since I remove the DRM right after ADE downloads the book but good to know.

Last edited by Danger; 12-13-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #18
rononmaximus
rononmaximus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Sorry it took me so long to reply but I've been away and not using the Kobo.

Yeah, the files were .acsm. In the meantime I wrote to Kobo help and they said I should write to Adobe and ask for another authorization, since that was probably the problem.

I was wondering, can I copy those files that were mentioned here, from my brother's Kobo to mine and that will solve it or do I have to write Adobe and/or keep removing the DRM from books I buy, to be able to read them in both devices?

Thanks for your input, I was going mad if you guys hadn't mention that DRM issue
rononmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote