Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
App size main storage/sd card

This is on my Kobo Vox but it looks more like an android query

I have the Kindle app on my Vox (downloaded from play store and latest version)

If as default I leave the app on the main storage it is 18meg
If I move the app to the sd card, the size of the app is just over 4meg

why is there a difference in size of the app ?

data storage for the app wherever it is stored doesn't change, just under 1meg
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
If as default I leave the app on the main storage it is 18meg
If I move the app to the sd card, the size of the app is just over 4meg

why is there a difference in size of the app ?
When an app is "moved" to the SD card not all of it is moved, just most of it. The 4 meg is what is left in main memory. Your actual readings may also depend on what app you are using to get those measurements, since some are better at providing details than others. There are also data and cache storage requirements that are not part of the app size.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
thanks, just using the applications option in settings, so these figures always show the values for main storage, they dont show the amount used on sd card

fairly new to android so still getting used to it
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
norhdral
norhdral began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does moving the applications to SD card improves speed of the phone? And i am not able to transfer all of my downloaded application to SD card.. why so?
Stylish Bathroom Vanities

Last edited by norhdral; 07-18-2012 at 05:20 AM.
norhdral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by norhdral View Post
Does moving the applications to SD card improves speed of the phone?
Probably not, but it is more likely to slow the initial application start. Applications run in RAM, so they are just loaded into RAM from internal FLASH or the SD card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhdral View Post
And i am not able to transfer all of my downloaded application to SD card.. why so?
Applications have to be designed to run from the SD card. If they are not designed to run from SD you will not be allowed to move them there.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert