Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Samsung Releases Two New Galaxy Players

Samsung is releasing two second gen Galaxy Players. The Galaxy Player 3.6 is currently available at Amazon and Best Buy for $150. The Galaxy Player 4.2 is expected to arrive 13 May with an expected $200 price tag.

These second generation players are a step backwards in some of the specs. What's with that? The cams are worse 2MP vs 3.2MP (4.0, 5.0) and the display on the 3.6 is only 480x320 (same as iPod touch 3) vs the 800x480 of the other three (4.0, 4.2, 5.0). By contrast, the iPod touch 4 ($200) with its 3.5" display has a resolution of 960x640.

I was hoping for better specs (1.5GHz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 5~8MP cam w/ flash, ICS, Super AMOLED Plus display, etc). But, tis not to be. So, I'll pass on these downgraded models.

Expect real world prices to drop soon:
  • Galaxy Player 5.0 -- MSRP= $270 / Amazon= $216
  • Galaxy Player 4.0 -- MSRP= $230 / Amazon= $190
  • Galaxy Player 3.6 -- MSRP= $150 / Amazon= $150
  • Galaxy Player 4.2 -- MSRP= $200 / Amazon= TBA
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The only real improvement I'm looking for is screen quality. I'd like to see the SAMOLED + on the 5".

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
I don't know anything about these players, but I do know that specs don't tell the whole story. For example, I have an old Fuji camera that takes about 3MP resolution pics. It was a decent camera in its day. My original Droid phone has a 5MP camera. The Fuji blows it away in picture quality especially in low light. A 2MP camera is about 1600x1200 which is probably more than enough for casual use.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I actually ordered the 3.6 when it first hit amazon because they mis-listed the screen res as 480x800 initially. Then I saw the real specs on samsung's UK site.

Cancelled and ordered the 4.0. I know I'm gonna kick myself when they're clearing it out cheap in a few months, but I had enough Amazon credit and have heard enough good things around here. Sounds like it will do everything I need w/o me have to pony up for a data plan and smartphone. Now if it would only get here.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
That's too bad. The SGP 5.0 (and I assume the 4.0 as well) is a very nice device and I hate to see them going backwards on specs with new models. Lowering the resolution seems a very bad move, especially when having to compete with the iPod Touch.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Galaxy Player 5.0 now reduced on Amazon to $199.99 to $206.00. Newer models appear to be downgrades.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Newer models appear to be downgrades.
For sure. They're going backwards.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
For sure. They're going backwards.
I don't think that they are going backwards, I think they are simply offering more choices to people. As much as I would like to get the 5.0, it is too big. I only use my mp3 player when I go to the gym or travel.

The 5.0 it too big that it wouldn't leave me any room to fit anything else in my pocket with it, but I'm afraid if I get the 4.0 it might be too small if I choose to put a reader & my books on it. I think the 4.2 might be just right to maybe play a few games & read while I'm traveling. It might even replace my T1 in my bag during the week to read on the train!

Mind you, I'm also still looking for a 7" tablet. right now at the top of the list is the new Samsung 7.0 2.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #9
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
FWIW, I've found the 4.o to be great to read on. I can even read scanned PDFs in landscape with Montanto (obviously the font is very small on those).

No problem at all reading ePubs on coolreader or Kindle books. The screen is very sharp. Much better than my iPad 1. I leave my Nook at home now and use this for all my on the go reading.

bought the thing on a whim, but am very glad now that I did.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
ala380
ala380 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
I had been looking at these devices but it's so funny that I have a Samsung Galaxy S 4g laying around that, when I put it in airplane mode, is pretty much the same as using one of these devices. The S 4g is a backup phone for me so I'm thinking of buying an extra 32gb micro sd card to put in it and use as my stand alone video and mp3 player. I have to say that, despite my initial hesitation, Samsung has really done a great job with their Galaxy line of devices
ala380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Galaxy Player 5.0 now reduced on Amazon to $199.99 to $206.00. Newer models appear to be downgrades.
Spec wise, yes. I am seriously considering buying the 5.0. I want an in-between device of my iPhone and iPad. I was also looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, which is not much more in price. Decisions!
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote