Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
T1 does factory reset "behind my back"

The T1 performed nicely since the last update but yesterday I was reading and it just restarted out of the blue!

Since it put me back to page one of the book I was reading I got kinda pis###. If the thing remembers what I was reading, it might as well rember the page, oh well. I didn't figure anything else was wrong because I was reading an ePub with the DRM conveniently "dealt with".

Then today I turned on the browser and got a dissclaimer to read and accept. So I thought maybe they're doing over the air updates now. Nope same 1.0.03.11140 firmware but Adobe DRM was "...not yet authorized.."

My browser history and bookmarks were permanently GONE.

And here's the second reason why I'm keeping the Sony Reader Software: One click and the T1 was authorized again. The first reason being firmware updates which seem to be nicely automated.

There is no way I'm gonna manage ebooks with Sony software though. Calibre is like a gazillion times better for that!
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This issue happened to me recently, and there was one other post that I have seen reporting the same issue. I was able to re-authorize by logging into the Reader Store directly on the T1. You don't need the Sony software in case it happens again.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Yah, but it prompted me for my password, which I had forgotten. I keep passwords on file on my pc but since the pc was running anyway it was simpler to run Reader for PC once.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
I had that issue happen to me around Christmas. It really was annoying because I couldn't remember my username for ADE and all my Sony bought books wouldn't open. Eventually I remembered it but did put a damper on my Xmas reading. Especially since I had bought 2 books from Sony to read over the holidays. But it only did it that one time.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now we have 4 reports. It was totally random for me. I just hope it doesn't happen again when it is totally inconvenient to have wireless access. That would be just my luck! Probably a good idea to always have non-DRM'ed books on your device so you aren't left with nothing to read for awhile. I have a large selection of public domain books on mine.
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Now this is scary.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

It's only happened to me once. I've had my T1 since launch so I've read many books on it now. Hard for me to judge whether this issue has always existed or was introduced in the latest firmware update.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
bibahbuzemann
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Now we have 4 reports. It was totally random for me. I just hope it doesn't happen again when it is totally inconvenient to have wireless access. That would be just my luck! Probably a good idea to always have non-DRM'ed books on your device so you aren't left with nothing to read for awhile. I have a large selection of public domain books on mine.
Yes well I'm not really worried since I read lots and lots and it only happend once but it was a surprise and a hassle.

I've posted elsewhere that the publishing industry has finally reached the LAST STRAW as far as my acceptance of DRM is concerned(period).

If it's got DRM, I ain't buying it. It's thier own damned fault. As for the books I allready have that are DRMed, well they ain't anymore, thanks to Calibre with embellishments.

If you think a certain ebook is only available as a DRMed version(perhaps because it's brand new), think again and open your eyes!

On another note: Thank you Kovid Goyal and all the other contributors to Calibre!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I hope that everyone reported the occurance to Sony support, I wouldn't rely on them reading this forum. They can't fix a problem they aren't aware of, lol not that I would rely on them to fix one they do know about either
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I hope that everyone reported the occurance to Sony support, I wouldn't rely on them reading this forum. They can't fix a problem they aren't aware of, lol not that I would rely on them to fix one they do know about either
You beat me to that !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
You beat me to that !

In fact I shouldn't think they are allowed to view MobileRead !!
I recently had my wrist slapped for publicising ( or "using the forum as an advertising platform" for it, as the suits put it) MR on the UK Sony Forum, simply as an essential resource for all with ereaders - but they did think it was OK if in response to a request, or as a possible answer/place to find an answer to a problem.
( So just a bit of creative writing needed......)
Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard

I must be psychic !

The UK/Euro site is down again - it has suddenly become very high maintenance !

P'raps it's the Reader Store shop front causing problems, like someone put an elbow through the glass or somesuch ?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
bibahbuzemann
Addict

Man, I'm becoming less and less impressed with Sony.

Sony is totally messing up the secondary support (and the secondary market, as in, selling ebooks).

No matter! I get better support here and it turns out(secondarily) the T1 is a great budget device!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Well, that's the only major issue I've had since the firmware update. I suspect my database had gotten corrupted, and it needed to rebuild itself. My K3 on the other hand resets itself much more frequently which is a known issue. And it's lost collections before, and I've had to deregister & reregister to fix it which is another known issue. I doubt any device is faultless. Thankfully there is this forum to help you find solutions!