Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #76
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Anak:

What makes the idea you're a mere messenger difficult to accept is the level to which you seem to be invested in the tester's legitimacy. If the test seems irrelevant to the majority of MR users and their needs, then why not be the messenger truly and walk away, having delivered the mystifying results of a test that seems to grow more hilarious with the savoring of each hapless preference? After all, no one blames you for the results. You needn't defend the tester or apologize for their supposed "Germanness" (which qualification bothers me a tad -- my brother married a woman from Berlin whom he has lived with for the past twenty years and I've enjoyed numerous friends and girlfriends from Germany. None of them seemed inclined to "dig holes in the sand," as per your comment about what you seem to characterize as the national(ist) obsession with harvesting literal-minded data).

Personally, I'm pleased with the Aura HD technically, ergonomically and empirically. I've yet to fondle an e-ink reader with a better or even comparable screen. Kobos seem to have more than their share of glitches, but in my case, the eye-crinkling pleasure of the experience overall wills out over the occasional sputtering of the execution.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 12-24-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #77
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think what gets to me is the lack (or at least my inability to find) of details on how the testing was done; what material was used; what version of f/w was used; where were books stored (SD card vs internal storage), etc.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #78
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I will have to respectfully disagree. I have both the Aura HD and the latest Paperwhite and the display of the Aura HD is superior without question. The Paperwhite 2 is clearly a significant improvement over the original but the crispness of the fonts is outstanding on the Aura HD while I can easily see some "jaggies" outlining the fonts on the PW. Additionally, the front lighting is is even and more pleasing on the Aura HD.
So happy to go back and re-read this. I have an Aura HD on order (found a good price on a used one) so can't wait to see it in person. I feel it will blow the text on my Glo away. The one thing I miss about the Paperwhite (1 & 2) was how nice and sharp the text was, in comparison. So though I no longer have any Paperwhites, I look forward to comparing it to the three e-ink devices I have on hand.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #79
mahtin
google this
mahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kobo h2o2, bookeen muse frontlight, resurrected. Fire HD8.
Think of anything except a pink and purple polka dot elephant?
The unobtrusive - well, it was until I first read a comment about it - uneven lighting of my K PW1 will be relegated to a drawer when my HD arrives. An Xmas visit from a friend who has one means that this will be a reunion.
Excellent thread.
mahtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #80
omnimodis78
Enthusiast
omnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura H20
I went from a Glo to the Aura HD and the difference was immediately and lastingly evident. The text is highly customizable (font, size, weight, sharpness, etc.) it really is nice, and even though I think the Glo now has the same software features as the Aura HD, the fact that the latter has a larger screen and resolution and better dpi, the text isn't just "nicer" but it really is better in every way. I have never regretted the update from the Glo to the Aura HD! Kobo is marketing the device as a "luxury ereader" and it's not often that I agree with a self-serving marketing slogan, but in the case of the Aura HD, I do!
omnimodis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #81
omnimodis78
Enthusiast
omnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
So happy to go back and re-read this. I have an Aura HD on order (found a good price on a used one) so can't wait to see it in person. I feel it will blow the text on my Glo away. The one thing I miss about the Paperwhite (1 & 2) was how nice and sharp the text was, in comparison. So though I no longer have any Paperwhites, I look forward to comparing it to the three e-ink devices I have on hand.
So, any updates?
omnimodis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #82
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimodis78 View Post
So, any updates?
Why, yes! I now have a PW1 as well as the Kobo Aura HD and Kobo Aura and Kobo Glo. I have the same font (Charis SIL modified larger) on all of them.

The text on the Aura HD is definitely superior to the others. I believe the higher resolution screen does make a difference.

With all of my Kobo devices, I am able to modify the weight, so the text on them is much bolder than on the Kindle. I have been looking at the web for a way to make the Kindle font bolder. The same font, but it's thin. And the font size is not adjustable enough for me. So I have to read on it with my glasses on.

In addition, the Aura (also got a good price) is superior to the Glo in many ways. I have no need to keep my extra Glo, now, so it will be sold. The light on my white Glo is really yellow, anyway. After having tried all of these, I think I would choose the Aura, if I could only have one. Yes the AURA HD has sharper text, but the Aura is a better size to take in my purse.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote