Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Krakyn
Krakyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Ipad
Smile Should I buy the Nook Protection plan?

Ok here is my dilemma. I recently got a Nookcolor for Christmas. The first two Nooks had screen problems so I returned them. The one that I have now is working fine. I am over the top happy with it, and use it a lot for reading books and magazines. It is an amazing little device. I even took it to Disney World with me so I could read at night. I placed it inside a ziplock to avoid any contact with water or anything else.

I am concerned about having issues in the long run, since it is an electrical device and with three children under the age of ten using it as well, It might get dropped and no more nook. Ugh, the unthinkable..LOL.
Its expensive so shelling out 250 for a new one is not easy. I think the protection plan is 64 bucks and covers it for one year. Is it worth it? The plan if you read the policy details, if you need a nook replaced, it has to be shipped to BN and they will either give you a new or pre-certified nookcolor. I have issues with that, for the 64 dollars, if it does need to be replaced, that they replace it with a new nook, nook a fixed one. How many of you have opted to get the protection plan any why, and those that decided against it, why didnt you get the plan. in advance for your responses.
Krakyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Some have purchased the SquareTrade warranty. It was $30 a few days ago.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...32&postcount=1
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Yeah we got the B&N one for my NC (before we'd done any research), but the SquareTrade one (which is much cheaper) for my husband's.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Do you need to be able to buy the receipt for a Square Trade warranty? I think I might have lost mine
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
Do you need to be able to buy the receipt for a Square Trade warranty? I think I might have lost mine
You do need the receipt whenever you submit a claim, so that would be a problem.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Krakyn
Krakyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Ipad
Going to Square Trade right now and check it out.
Krakyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
You do need the receipt whenever you submit a claim, so that would be a problem.
Make sure you check out the 20-30% coupons. Also, if you register the receipt when you get the warranty, they keep it on file.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
I got a 2 year Accidental Damage policy from Square Deal for $25 USD. I feel sooo much better now. I am generally very careful with my gadgets, but at least now I have the security of knowing that, if I drop it, I can have another.

Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
I figured as much. Hopefully I can find it. I wonder if I can drop by the B&N store where I bought it and get them to print another receipt? I'm pretty sure I used a debit or credit card, so I would think they have a record of the transaction.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:39 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would not personally buy an extended warranty. I've been using hand-held electronic gizmos since the mid 1980s, and have never broken one yet. Unless you consider yourself to be a careless person, I honestly think they're a waste of money.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would not personally buy an extended warranty. I've been using hand-held electronic gizmos since the mid 1980s, and have never broken one yet. Unless you consider yourself to be a careless person, I honestly think they're a waste of money.
Not necessarily. Things could go wrong from just wear and tear. I had a Sony 700 for a little over a year where the power port suddenly failed and the device was out of warranty. I think it had eventually loosened from use and was no longer making a connection so I could not charge the device with any wall charger. Sony said it would cost me over $100 for them to send me a "refurbished" unit but by that time they were no longer making the 700, so I would not only be getting a used device, but be getting a different model device, which did not have the backlight built into it, which was a big selling point with me. If I had known then about the Square Trade warranty, I would have received a check to buy a brand new unit, which I would have used to buy the NC, incidentally, since it has all the features I want and more.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One factor to consider is how long you intend to keep the device. I love gadgets, and so rarely use one device for longer than a year. There's always something new and better on the market to try out. If you intend to keep the one device for several years, the extended warranty certainly makes a lot more sense.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have. After 10y I dropped my trusty Palm IIIx one too many times and crack the upper left corner of the screen, plus I've read many horror stories of people with the Pandigital Novel(white) and Augen Gentouch that broke their screens. It's just too easy to drop a smaller device, so I already sprung for 3y + accidental on the gTab and am about to for the NC.

On notebooks, I usually skip it as they are larger and that seems to make me more generally aware of how I am handling them, however I became interested in tablets for two reasons: less heat in summer on lap, and easier handling in slippier conditions. (I've never dropped a notebook yet, but I probably will now since I just typed this... and just never consider extended warranties for most other things as well, excepting cars dependent upon pricing and term length/mileage cover as these have come in handy in the past, so I guess I break it down by size/cost of plan/expected repair cost and frequency(hence vehicle consideration).)

(I tend to keep all my gadgets, and just store then when they're no longer in general use, but I'd expect a tablet/reader to last me a minimum of 3y, if not 5y or longer, which is also what I expect from my notebooks and desktop PCs.)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
I got a 3-yr on SQ for $25 (after 50% coupon). Worth it, IMO.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
nook12
nook12 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Do you have the code for that 50% off?

I also switch gadgets all the time and probably won't use this for more than a year so the extended warranty is worthless for me.

HOWEVER, the reason i will get the Squaretrade warranty is because fo the accidental damage coverage. If you drop your NC, spill coffee on it, or someone steps on it, Squaretrade will replace/fix/reimburse you for how much you paid.

That's the only reason I think a $30 is worth it. after 6 months to a year, you could probably buy a better e-reader or the newer version nook color for the same price or cheaper than you boguht it for now.
nook12 is offline   Reply With Quote