Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #121
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
All this "Hefty" talk got me curious so I set out on a Safari to see how "Hefty" stuff is around my house. I've read thousands of books in my 48 years. I've only read on my Sony Reader in the last 3 years. So I've lugged around tons of books of all shapes and sizes. Hardbacks, paperbacks, pulp, comic books, magazines etc etc etc... So i was a little concerned about the weight of the Kindle DX and whether or not it was gonna throw my back out or sumpin... So I weighed a bunch of stuff.. Books etc... Interesting results.... (My wife is a chocolatier with her own business so i used one of her Chocolate scales so its pretty close on the weights)

Sony Reader 500 with Medge executive case: 14 oz.
My wallet: 5 oz.
Shogun by James Clavell (Hardcover) 45 oz.
Crime and punishment by Dostoevsky (paperback) standard small size 10 oz.
Readers Digest 5 oz.
4 DVD's (in cases) 18 oz. (I spent 10 minutes holding them in my hand to see if I was gonna get Carpal tunnel or sumpin and so far it doesnt 'feel' heavy)
Tv remote 5 oz.
Iphone (in Incipio case) 6 oz.
Grapes Of Wrath by Steinbeck (paperback) 28 oz. (I've read this edition probably 6 times, Grapes is a favorite of mine, my Dad's family lived it in the 30's)
hairbrush (garden variety) 6 oz.
Scuba Mask with snorkel 17 oz.
Lost In The Cosmos by Walker Percy (hardback) 16 oz.
Bible NIV (hardback) 38 oz.
Olympus Digital Camera 570uz. 21 oz.
Hunting knife 12 oz.
Prince Of Tides by Pat Conroy (paperback standard size) 10 oz.
The Deed of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon (Paperback entire trilogy) 26 oz. (Great book I've read this edition at least 3 times)
26 ice cubes 18 oz.
One Reebok Trail running shoe 17 oz.
150 pennies 15 oz.
one pair of Jeans (waist 34 length 32) 26 oz.
my pillow 50 oz
The Norton Anthology of Western Lit. (college paperback textbook) 62 oz.

I really don't see the problem with weight... (Of course i've never held one so maybe it has like a Supernatural pull to it. Maybe there's a metaphysical weight based on the millions of electronic words stored in em)

I've read and seen alot of pictures of the DX and it looks incredibly whiter screened and darker lettered than my Sony. I'm so pumped! I feel certain I'm going to love it. I tend to read a book straight through so the PDF problems with navigating probably wont be an issue with me. I've already 'bought' 12 books for it at Amazon... (well. free books anyway like Red Mars and some PD stuff by George Macdonald)

Last edited by Roy White; 07-18-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:45 AM   #122
rijker
curiouser and curiouser
rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, K1,K2, iTouch 16gb
Congrats Roy, and thanks for the heftiness list (btw just clicked Amazon 'I'd like to read this on the Kindle" links for the Norton Anthologies - would be great to see these on the DX! And think of the weight loss possibilities...). I think you're going to really like the DX - am pretty much inseparable from mine.

Spent part of this afternoon on the waterfront getting lost in a great Wodehouse anthology (around $3 on Amazon - big bang for the bucks, total delight). I love my DX - the larger screen makes all difference - at first thought I would only use it for academic stuff but now prefer it for fiction as well. This is all down to personal preference of course but my partner's K2 feels like a toy in comparison. Looking forward to hearing your impressions when you've had a change to use yours for a while.
rijker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #123
Pipp
Pipp began at the beginning.

Device: Still Looking
I would love to get something like the kindle DX, but live outside the US. I'm not inclined to support a "Competition Killer" company either.
Pipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #124
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
All this "Hefty" talk got me curious so I set out on a Safari to see how "Hefty" stuff is around my house. I've read thousands of books in my 48 years. I've only read on my Sony Reader in the last 3 years. So I've lugged around tons of books of all shapes and sizes. Hardbacks, paperbacks, pulp, comic books, magazines etc etc etc... So i was a little concerned about the weight of the Kindle DX and whether or not it was gonna throw my back out or sumpin... So I weighed a bunch of stuff.. Books etc... Interesting results.... (My wife is a chocolatier with her own business so i used one of her Chocolate scales so its pretty close on the weights)

Readers Digest 5 oz.
4 DVD's (in cases) 18 oz. (I spent 10 minutes holding them in my hand to see if I was gonna get Carpal tunnel or sumpin and so far it doesnt 'feel' heavy)
Tv remote 5 oz.
Grapes Of Wrath by Steinbeck (paperback) 28 oz. (I've read this edition probably 6 times, Grapes is a favorite of mine, my Dad's family lived it in the 30's)
Hunting knife 12 oz.
The Deed of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon (Paperback entire trilogy) 26 oz. (Great book I've read this edition at least 3 times)
26 ice cubes 18 oz.
150 pennies 15 oz.
my pillow 50 oz

I really don't see the problem with weight... (Of course i've never held one so maybe it has like a Supernatural pull to it. Maybe there's a metaphysical weight based on the millions of electronic words stored in em)

I've read and seen alot of pictures of the DX and it looks incredibly whiter screened and darker lettered than my Sony. I'm so pumped! I feel certain I'm going to love it. I tend to read a book straight through so the PDF problems with navigating probably wont be an issue with me. I've already 'bought' 12 books for it at Amazon... (well. free books anyway like Red Mars and some PD stuff by George Macdonald)
This list tells me you have way TOO MUCH time on your hands - so obviously you need a DX to fill this time with reading!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #125
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipp View Post
I would love to get something like the kindle DX, but live outside the US. I'm not inclined to support a "Competition Killer" company either.
Then buy an iRex DR1000S. Far better than the Kindle DX in many ways, although somewhat more expensive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #126
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijker View Post
I love my DX - the larger screen makes all difference - ...at first thought I would only use it for academic stuff but now prefer it for fiction as well. This is all down to personal preference of course but my partner's K2 feels like a toy in comparison. Looking forward to hearing your impressions when you've had a change to use yours for a while.
My K2 feels like a toy too and I use it only outside the house. I got the DX mainly for PDF reading and web browsing times. But it's all I use now, here.

I'm 5'4" and about 115 lbs, so I don't think the heftiness is anything but just weight that's more than people sometimes want when holding an e-book reader.

The K2 is like air, and not so attention getting in size, so I like it for the streets.

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Nope! Jumped! I couldn't take the pressure anymore! I'm so pumped! Not a teensy bit of buyers remorse yet and usually I'm swamped by it after doing something like this. It ships August 7th so it will be awhile before i post pics... Until then I'm gonna be downloading books for it. Am I correct in assuming that the Mobipocket books work on the DX?
Too bad the pool you jumped in has no water.

If you bought the DX to read PDF, you'll find (according to others) the support for PDF to be less then expected. A lot of people have returned their DX. Also the fact that it goes to slideshow mode after 10 minutes of inactivity is another deal breaker for some.. The good news is that if these things are an issue, you can return it.

From what I've read on MR, unless you need a larger than 6" screen, the K2 is a better device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #128
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

Readers Digest 5 oz.
Tv remote 5 oz.
Hunting knife 12 oz.
26 ice cubes 18 oz.
150 pennies 15 oz.
my pillow 50 oz

Congratulations, Roy! You will really enjoy reading on the DX. I have both the K2 and the DX and have become completely spoiled with the larger reading area and crisp text. The discussion of "weight" amuses me as I certainly do not find the DX heavy at all and quite comfortable to hold. Oh, and I am an average sized female.

Although I do read PDFs occasionally, simply reading books on the larger DX is worth it alone, IMHO.

Congratulations again and happy reading!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #129
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Jon. None of those issues will be a problem for me. (At least a foreseeable problem) When i lay my Sony Down for ten minutes it does the same. Waking it up takes about 2 seconds not a problem. I assume the DX will wake up faster than that?

PDF's arent really on my list for reading. I get text from Gutenberg and load it on my Sony and the DX will whip that stuff out like Buddah! (Butter)

I love the Kindle Iphone App... I've been using it since I ordered my DX and so far I can see its something I will use while eating lunch or waiting for my wife to buy a Mothers day card at the store. To go home and have the kindle intelligently adjust to my place in the Iphone? Synching automatically... Ya gotta admit thats spine tinglingly geeky cool!

I dont have a problem with Amazons evil business practices, (in fact I'm not aware of how Nefarious they are but perhaps I'm not informed enough?) I like how accessible the Amazon store is and have already bought more books from it than I bought in 3 years trying to use the Sony Store which I hated BTW.

The bigger screen... I'm 48 and my close focus vision has gotten REALLY bad! It's actually quite unnerving... To not be able to focus on normal size text no matter how hard you concentrate or try. So I set my Sony on LARGE text and the average line only has 6 words in it so I have to bounce back and forth rapidly. I'm hoping the DX with its HUGE screen will be a little more linear with the font set on huge. Especially in landscape mode.

As for the weight? I laugh at 4 more ounces! HAHA! I mock 4 ounces! (Thats how much heavier a Nekkid DX will be than my Sony 500 dressed in its M edge case.)

So from my perspective the pool is awesomely full and the water refreshing in many ways. I cant see a downside. (Other than the 5 hundred dollar price tag which I gotta admit stung quite a bit)
Old 07-23-2009, 05:24 AM   #130
Pipp
Pipp began at the beginning.

Device: Still Looking
IREX needs to beef up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Then buy an iRex DR1000S. Far better than the Kindle DX in many ways, although somewhat more expensive.

Harry, would love to buy the IREX (any of them) its the battery time that stops me. I even e-mailed the company to talk about my concerns, once I mentioned the battery life they stopped talking to me.

Plastic Logic sounds like a winner, but it means waiting.... and waiting....
I am traveling at the moment and cant find any books in english, sure would be nice to be able to download them.
Pipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #131
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The bigger screen... I'm 48 and my close focus vision has gotten REALLY bad! It's actually quite unnerving... To not be able to focus on normal size text no matter how hard you concentrate or try. So I set my Sony on LARGE text and the average line only has 6 words in it so I have to bounce back and forth rapidly. I'm hoping the DX with its HUGE screen will be a little more linear with the font set on huge. Especially in landscape mode.
Note that the KDX has exactly the same font sizes as the K2, so make sure the largest font is big enough for you. I have screenshots from a K1 in Font Sizes.

You will get more words per line on the KDX, and custom PDFs can have larger fonts.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #132
Roy White
Evangelist

Thanks. I actually saw a kindle2 in person yesterday. A guy in Church had one. He kept trying to explain all the features to me and I kept going... Yes I know I know. The font size was sufficient even without reading glasses but again, the word count across the screen was low. I was amazed at how bright the text was and white the screen compared to my old Sony500. The page turns are waaaay faster, slim and sleek, the construction seemed waaaay more solid and it felt stronger and less subject to flex. He had the neoprene slip case. I'll probably go with that for now....

Man I wish they would hurry up and ship my DX!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 AM   #133
Roy White
Evangelist

I just got an email from Amazon... They shipped it!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #134
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

:: ::
Quote:
I just got an email from Amazon... They shipped it!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #135
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Errrr..... Did I leave anything out?