Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #106
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Harry. I'm afraid I did. A railroad bridge into a deep deep river. I was 14 to 17 at the time. I grew up in a small town called Gold Hill Oregon. Only 675 people in town. One gas station. 2 family markets. My Dad was on City Council. Nothing to do but read books and swim in the river in Summer. It's funny how we slowly worked our way to the top of the trestle. Started by jumping off the rocks on the bank of the river. bout 10 feet. Then higher rocks. Finally graduated to the lower arches of the roadway bridge next to the trestle at 30 feet up. Then to the roadway at 43 feet. (and man that seemed high the first time) Daring each other to jump from higher and higher up on the steelwork of the train trestle next to the road bridge. Finally. The top! Took about 2 months of summer swimming, going to the river every day in prolly 1974. There was some beer and pot involved somehow....
I went back to Gold Hill about 4 years ago. Looked at that trestle and shook my head! I think (think mind you) that I might jump off the trestle again but it would take a bribe of at least 5 thousand bucks and even then I'm not sure I could actually let go. That's a thrilling moment though. When you tip forward past the point of no return. Your heart leaps up in your throat and does a fast dramatic tango. Wow that was a trip down memory lane. I remember one totally wasted hippie jumped of the trestle and did the most spectacular belly flop the Universe has ever seen! Man that guy didn't die but he was thrashed so bad we hadda swim out and help him to shore. He layer there and groaned in agony for an hour. I'm sure if he hadn't been so loose from alcohol/ pot he would have been history.

Last edited by Roy White; 06-20-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #107
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Oh man! Now the Kindle 2 is 299 bucks! I'm wavering. My Sony 500 is still tickng righ along and I'm such a cheapskate!
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #108
Roy White
Evangelist

Oh man!!! I just jumped!!! Aaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhh!!!!!! And.... I'm faaaallliinnngggg... I just now ordered the DX! Got the 2 year warranty. Didn't get a case. (why should I since I got the warranty?) I can get a case when the warranty expires. It's a done dog deal folks. Read it and weep!
Old 07-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #109
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Oh man!!! I just jumped!!! Aaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhh!!!!!! And.... I'm faaaallliinnngggg... I just now ordered the DX! Got the 2 year warranty. Didn't get a case. (why should I since I got the warranty?) I can get a case when the warranty expires. It's a done dog deal folks. Read it and weep!
I'll believe it when I see the pics.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #110
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'll believe it when I see the pics.
We want proof!

Err... when you say you jumped, you didn't mean off the railroad bridge did you?

The minute your eyes see that big screen - you won't regret it!

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 07-16-2009 at 08:57 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #111
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
I keep reading about the weight of the DX. I believe its 18 ounces, which is HEFTY from my experience.

I am tired of the Plastic Logic web site, release the dang thing or shut up. They act like they are planning a moon launch.
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #112
Roy White
Evangelist

Nope! Jumped! I couldnt take the pressure anymore! I'm so pumped! Not a teensy bit of buyers remorse yet and usually I'm swamped by it after doing something like this. It ships August 7th so it will be awhile before i post pics... Until then I'm gonna be downlaoding books for it. Am I correct in assuming that the Mobipocket books work on the DX?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #113
Roy White
Evangelist

I'm thinkin about just using it without a case. I got the 2 year Warranty and so I figure i could go Commando and only get a case if the first one breaks. but from the sounds of things it sounds like the DX has a hard metal case and is real sturdy to withstand most use.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #114
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that the Mobipocket books work on the DX?
If the Mobi book has a DRM other than Amazon's, it won't work (no buying Secured Mobi books from Mobipocket.com, Fictionwise or BooksonBoard...). Any mobi book *without* DRM will work.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #115
Roy White
Evangelist

sorry. I meant the mobipocket PD books available on this site... I'll probably buy books for it from Amazon. There are quite a few I want that aren't available for the Sony. But after spending 600 bucks I'm probably going to be reading alot of PD for a while.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #116
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
And it only took 8 pages of postings to finally convince you to jump!
Is this a MR record?

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #117
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Quote:
I'm thinkin about just using it without a case. I got the 2 year Warranty and so I figure i could go Commando and only get a case if the first one breaks. but from the sounds of things it sounds like the DX has a hard metal case and is real sturdy to withstand most use.
Roy - I bought the amazon case and its on its way back as of yesterday. Case makes DX heavy and big. After having case on for a week and then removing it, i feel the difference in size and weight. Its actually a lot better for me to use it without it. Having said that, i ended up ordering WaterField DX slipcase. I love it. very light, small and DX seems to be well protected. Only downside is its expensive. Their customer service is top notch and all my questions were answered in time. Shipping was extremely fast too. So if you want to use it commando and have some protection when its not in use, take a look at the slip case

Alex
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #118
Roy White
Evangelist

Thanks. That's kind of what I'm thinking. Besides I don't wanna cover up the cool explosion of letters on the back. Reminds me that a great Author is secretly a great Magician. To take 26 letters and transport me into other worlds and times. Deposit me into the middle of someones inner being and live there as well as here in my own heart. To emerge richer and wiser and happier afterward. I love that letter theme on the back. (at least it looks like that's plastered on the back of the DX?) maybe I can find so e sort of case at Best buy or something. I'll check out that product you are talking about.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #119
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
alt-g effect on DX

Quote:
Poohbear. So you already preordered huh? I'm so tempted! But I'll wait. (read less!!!!) as if! My Sony 500 is over 2 years old now. I think the screen has become alot more gray than it was new. I'm hoping the DX screen is a brighter near white? Hoping.
I've meant to ask Sir Bruce, actually, but haven't seen him on the Amazon forums lately.

On my DX, I could swear (almost) that when I decide to do an alt-G (screen refresh) when in dim light, not only is there more black coming to the surface (the DX has beautiful contrast) but the screen background gets whiter too.

I do 3 Alt-G's, taking a cue from when the DX starts up (K2 sometimes) and I guess I have convinced myself that more white gets to the surface as well as more black.

With the K2 (and I have a good one, that looks quite close to the K1 in font darkness), it's not particularly readable in dim light. I find that I can read the DX with with only a lamp about 4 feet away and turned away from me and whatever light is coming from the computer screen. Could not do that with the K2.

Could others with DX's try this and let me know if I'm alone in seeing a lighter background when doing the alt-G refresh?

BY THE WAY, in case any have not discovered this yet, the irritating number combo keypress prob can be mitigated somewhat by the fact that you don't have to press them together. They can be done in sequence. First the Alt key and then the number.

But that works for only one number at a time -- otherwise it's easier for me to hold down the Alt-key while pressing a series of numbers as needed.

The same with shift-key and a capital letter. This latter is how the K1 works but not the K2.

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #120
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
i returned dx. too hefty and aweful pdf support. wait for tech to mature more.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote