Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 01:19 AM   #166
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I've had a Sony Reader 500 for over 2 years. A great reader, lasted for thousands of hours of reading. I found with the Sony that I was turning the page every 5 to 7 seconds. I just timed a page on the DX. 50 seconds. It feels as if I'm reading a real book. I have way more... Time... if you will to think and review what I'm reading. More space on the page and more paragraphs to glance back at as I think through a passage. The annotation and highlighting feature is great too.... But the real book feel, thats the number one reason I love it. The text is much sharper and darker, the background much whiter also. The wireless in device shopping is wonderful. I like the Accelerometer too. You can disable it easily enough with a single click. The Dictionary I use constantly. The internet experimental features not so much although I have downloaded a free book or two from Manybooks using the DX. I don't have a great need for PDF's but I do have a complilation of Robert Frost poems in a PDF form and they display wonderfully. I downloaded a few newsletters from the website EPM and they read just fine. Nice and bright.http://www.epm.org/home_mainPage.php
This business about it being 'heavy' or 'too big' in my opinion is nonsense... Well ok.. not nonsense because I understand this is an issue for some people but for me its not. In the slightest. to me it feels light as a feather and clean. Thin and very sturdy..

Last edited by Roy White; 09-12-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #167
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Thanks Roy,

Your thoughtful review pretty much verifies my assumptions of the DX. The things you like most about the reader are the benefits I most desire. I use PDF's but only when at work and I am in front of a computer 7 hours a day. I don't use them outside of the office.

I do have concerns regarding the size (not the weight) but the trade off for the features are well worth it. I'm assuming I will adjust in time. I read 3 newspapers a day and I'm also assuming I will enjoy my daily news reading much more on the DX. Have you downloaded a paper to compare?

I started with the 500 then the 505 and presently the Kindle 1. I have had buyers remorse each purchase but quickly got over it as I experienced the advantages of the up grades.

Now, I face the biggest obstacle. The economy. When I purchased the previous readers, the economy was much better. Now, everyday is scary. I have a good job but I work for what I consider a small business. The downturn has effected us but not to the point of layoffs or downsizing. I just have to justify such a purchase in these unsettling economic times. I do have the Kindle 1 so the DX would definitely be a luxury.

Thanks for you insight and opinion of the DX.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #168
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

I too suffer from buyers remorse on Every... Single... Thing.. I've ever bought. No kidding... Except for the Kindle DX. i use mine so often hardly ever surf this site anymore.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #169
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
I too suffer from buyers remorse on Every... Single... Thing.. I've ever bought. No kidding... Except for the Kindle DX. i use mine so often hardly ever surf this site anymore.
That's very high praise for the DX. I'm still a bit uncertain about a few thigns with this device.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #170
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
I'm thinking I'm going to keep my DX. Been agonizing about whether to keep my K1 and return the DX or keep the DX and return the K1. I think the K1 is going back.

The DX is just so awesome.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #171
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
I am a scientist reading the kind of stuff attached. Could anyone with a DX do me a huge favor and try it and tell me how it looks? If it looks fine, I´d get a DX tomorrow on ebay. If not a kindle2 int. ed. might be the way for me...

Thanks..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wikmark et al. 2006 [Naegleria].pdf (466.2 KB, 144 views)
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #172
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I'd like a large-screen reader in the long run, but my Kindle 2 serves my needs well enough for now, and I'm going to hold off buying a more sophisticated Kindle reader till we get one that supports folders! I'll admit I've been mightily tempted to get a Kindle 1 refurb as a sacrificial reader to take with me when traveling, though!
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #173
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
I am a scientist reading the kind of stuff attached. Could anyone with a DX do me a huge favor and try it and tell me how it looks? If it looks fine, I´d get a DX tomorrow on ebay. If not a kindle2 int. ed. might be the way for me...

Thanks..
Snapshots of your PDF on Kindle DX.
Sorry, couldn't get better pics.
Absolutely readable on Kindle DX.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07453.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	965.0 KB
ID:	37673   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07451.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	944.7 KB
ID:	37674   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07444.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	944.8 KB
ID:	37675   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07455.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	37676  
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #174
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Snapshots of your PDF on Kindle DX.
Sorry, couldn't get better pics.
Absolutely readable on Kindle DX.

Thank you so much... That was awesome! I am sold, ordering mine from ebay as we speak (amazon wont hip it to europe yet)

Thank you again!

EDIT: By the way, I had my mind set on a sony 505 but this changes everything. I just need to check that amazon can sell me books and that I can use my mac for sync..

Last edited by Euroboy; 10-19-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #175
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post

Thank you so much... That was awesome! I am sold, ordering mine from ebay as we speak (amazon wont hip it to europe yet)

Thank you again!

EDIT: By the way, I had my mind set on a sony 505 but this changes everything. I just need to check that amazon can sell me books and that I can use my mac for sync..
I can clarify that. I'm from Germany, so I've got the same problems as you have in Norway.
I've got Kindle 2 and Kindle DX. Not the international ones, but the "old" ones.
But I can purchase from Amazon US without any problems. I even can use my German credit card. Even with the interntional one, I'd shop in the US instead of Europe: Cheaper and more books available.

Concerning syncing: It's not really "syncing" as you'd do on Sony 505 for example. It's just downloading via PC or Mac (Mac is working flawlessly) and then drag and drop to Kindle. You just have to register your Kindle's serial number in your account. Whispernet would do this automatically, without the international one I had to do it manually once (for each of my 2 Kindles).

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-19-2009 at 06:39 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #176
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Take a look at that Plastic Logic reader, due out in January. It is based on plastic (even the electronics) and it bends -- how cool is that! And it looks about DX size. It caught my attention yesterday when I saw a preview. There's just too much fun tech stuff arriving all the time...
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #177
Euroboy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
There's just too much fun tech stuff arriving all the time...
Yes I know. That is my problem. I want a reader now and not in january or whenever the plastic logic thingy is coming out. But I am so in doubt I cannot decide (just like the thread-starer). Kindle2 int. edition, Kindle DX from ebay.. sony 505, sony 600.... (last two I can buy locally).

Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #178
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Take a look at that Plastic Logic reader, due out in January.
A minor correction; "details and availability" are going to be announced in January. The device itself will not be available then.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #179
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Let's hope for the best. Definitely looking forward to this. We should welcome anything that help to defeat Amazon’s attempts to monopolize the ebook market. For all those hoping this will be cheap can probably forget about it. Expect to pay $600 at least.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #180
Roy White
Evangelist

Here's a photo of my DX with the decal girl skin Starry night. I made a photo for it and applied the Screensaver hack... I love it! I read several hours a day with it...