Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Question can't visit "www.mobileread.com" on kindle?

Anyone notice that you can't browse the mobileread.com website from the kindle?

I get a "website does not respond" dialog (or something like that).

I have advanced on and javascript enabled.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's not the site. I can see MobileRead right now on my Kindle.

Yesterday I noticed the same problem. I think it's a delayed reaction to the recent server move. MobileRead was hosted in Houston, TX, and now is now hosted in Canada.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Very interesting. It's correct, we moved to Canada, but this shouldn't lead to a "website does not respond" message. In fact, for many folks there is no noticeable difference in speed.

On the good side, we are working on the mobile version of MobileRead and it's about 80% ready.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

The exact error is:

"The website you requested is not responding. Please try again later"

I tried toggling between advanced/default and jscript on/off, but same results.

Hopefully nate is right and its just something not propagated out yet.

Also a mobile version of MR sounds great. Will it scale up to a kindle's display or will it be strictly targeted to blackberrys and whatnot?

-d
Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
MobileRead was hosted in Houston, TX, and now is now hosted in Canada.
To pick nits, MR was hosted in Dallas, TX, I was hosted in Houston.

MR did indeed move to Canada, while I moved to Tennessee -- not the other way around.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
To pick nits, MR was hosted in Dallas, TX, I was hosted in Houston.
Actually, it was Fort Worth

@dugbug: From the error description it's very likely that the DNS server used by Amazon hasn't picked up our new IP yet. Can you try access http://67.205.70.12 instead?

Yes, I hope the mobile version will scale a lot better on the Kindle screen!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
dugbug
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Actually, it was Fort Worth

@dugbug: From the error description it's very likely that the DNS server used by Amazon hasn't picked up our new IP yet. Can you try access http://67.205.70.12 instead?

Yes, I hope the mobile version will scale a lot better on the Kindle screen!
As of 1/17, www.mobileread.com on my kindle fails, however the IP address does work, thanks

-d