Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #136
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Nope! I've bought 10 books from Amazon already. man theyve got a slick bookstore. With my Iphone I'm just a couple of taps away from shopping wherever I go. I'm always going... "Hmmm... It sure would be great to get Conroy's The Lords of Discipline on my DX..." And 4 or 5 taps later... Presto... Those guys are geniuses at marketing. I bought the Patagonia Sleeve case for it. It looked a little more sturdy than the Neoprene one and you can read while its in the case. It was 54 bucks though. Youch! I've got to settle down and read the books I've bought before I buy more. And be content with PD books.... (But its so fun to buy more!!!! ) Hmmmm... I would like to get The Lord of the Rings as a Kindle file......... D'oh! There I go again!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:03 AM   #137
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
ARGH why did you say that, Lords of Discipline is one of my favorite books ever

Tap Tap.

Grr.

Now if they only had Game Over (How Nintendo Zapped an Industry) and my most favorite book of all time, Gentle Vengeance. Would also love The Plutonium Files.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #138
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Actually I liked Conroy's Beach Music far more. I just checked and it's not available as a Kindle book.... (Lucky me... I would have bought it... I gotta chill on this.)

His writing is so lyrically rich Prose dripping with images overlaid through the hearts yearing. There's a scene in Beach music where the sun is going down at the same time the moon is coming up. He said something like.. "My souls grazed like a sheep on the beauty... I cant remember now exactly but so Beautifully written. It made me weep.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:41 PM   #139
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Aww
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #140
Roy White
Evangelist

Finally came in the mail... One word... Aaaaawwweeeassssoooommmeeee... Wow I'm blown away. What a great product! I'd write more but I gotta go read now.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #141
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Finally came in the mail... One word... Aaaaawwweeeassssoooommmeeee... Wow I'm blown away. What a great product! I'd write more but I gotta go read now.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:11 AM   #142
Roy White
Evangelist

To return to the question I originally asked that got this thread going. What's the officiL Mobileread Verdict. Well since Mobileread is made up of unofficial individuals the "official verdict gets to be rendered by me... The Verdict is.... (drum roll) about ten thumbs up! I love it. It doesn't seem to be "heavy" to me at all. I love the automatic screen changes. I find myself flipping it upside down when I'm reading with an ice tea in my right hand for example. The shear size of the screen is amazing. It feels like reading a hardback book without the quick rhythym of clicking the next button every 5 to 6 seconds. The in device bookstore is incredible. My wife was watching the film the soloist and I was reading and for kicks looked up the book. Could have bought it in less than 15 seconds. The new sites. CNN for example load fairly quickly and are easier to read than my iPhone. I'm enjoying it wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyyy more that I thought I would. No buyers remorse here I should have bought one The first day I heard about it. The in device dictionary is great. And Wikipedia for those rabbit trails my reading inevitably gets me thinkIng about.... "what's the true story behind the Bataan Death march...? Etc."

It's great.

Anyone wanna buy an extremely used Sony reader 500?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #143
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"No buyers remorse here I should have bought one The first day I heard about it."

Told ya so!!

Seriously - glad it's lived up to your expectations/wishes. A lot of the negative reviews for the DX have come from the folk waiting for full-featured PDF support. Readers not in this PDF camp seem to appreciate the screen size, better appearance of Wikipedia on screen, etc. -- all relating to the larger sized screen. I too turn it upside down when I need to use my right hand while reading - it's my biggest gripe -- losing the buttons on the left.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #144
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
A lot of the negative reviews for the DX have come from the folk waiting for full-featured PDF support.
Huh? It was a feature Amazon hyped, so why wouldn't people expect it it to work? I don't consider being able to read PDFs without getting a headache to be a "full-featured" PDF support - it's the first thing that should be properly implemented before you advertise a device having ANY level of PDF support.
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #145
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
Huh? It was a feature Amazon hyped, so why wouldn't people expect it it to work? I don't consider being able to read PDFs without getting a headache to be a "full-featured" PDF support - it's the first thing that should be properly implemented before you advertise a device having ANY level of PDF support.
I didn't intend to denigrate or downplay your (and others) PDF concerns - I was merely trying to separate that line of criticism from that of the DX as a large-screened reader for azw & mobi books.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #146
Roy White
Evangelist

Pooh, I'll allow the "Told ya so" with joy. The more I read it the more I love it. (I don't have any PDF's and have no need for them so i'm good there...) The 'back' feature is excellent! When I find myself going to Wikipedia for clarity on something I'm reading to be able to quickly page back to my book is REALLY great! (My apologies to those of you who dislike the DX... I'm loving it big time! Wow I'm so impressed. Most of the time I buy a product and I go, "Well thats pretty good ... but.... The DX and the Iphone are now on the short list of items where I have NO complaints at all) How come you guys didnt force me to buy one ages ago?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #147
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Roy, I'm glad that there are people who love DX and I agree that for simple book reading is an OK device.
From engineering perspective, however, DX is not very impressive. It's nowhere near iPod complexity, quality and polish. I'm talking about hardware and software design, basic usability etc.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #148
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Pooh, I'll allow the "Told ya so" with joy. The more I read it the more I love it. (I don't have any PDF's and have no need for them so i'm good there...) The 'back' feature is excellent! When I find myself going to Wikipedia for clarity on something I'm reading to be able to quickly page back to my book is REALLY great! (My apologies to those of you who dislike the DX... I'm loving it big time! Wow I'm so impressed. Most of the time I buy a product and I go, "Well thats pretty good ... but.... The DX and the Iphone are now on the short list of items where I have NO complaints at all) How come you guys didnt force me to buy one ages ago?
Well gee, Roy, it only took 10 pages of posts to get your attention, didn't it?

Glad you love it as much as I do - have fun reading ALL your stuff!

P.S. If you need a trendy "man purse" to lug it around it, take a look at

http://www.sfbags.com/products/kindle/kindlecase.htm

The travel case can hold the K in its cover.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #149
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Frankly, I just finished reading a PDF book on the DX and it was a great experience. In fact, 8 out of 10 times the PDF displays well enough. That is 100% better than a lot of devices that can't do PDFs at all. In fact, tell me what is better out there now? What does PDF's better and includes all of the other pluses of the DX?

I think that people's gripes about wanting more are fair...why not. However, taken as a whole package the DX is a great "first of its kind" device (wireless network, large screen, online bookstore,...)

I love mine.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #150
ebs
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
That is 100% better than a lot of devices that can't do PDFs at all. In fact, tell me what is better out there now? What does PDF's better and includes all of the other pluses of the DX?
That's a very strange logic - just because there is nothing better on the market doesn't make DX good.

I'll tell you what does PDF better (being usable for reading without getting a headache) - my printer and my laptop.