Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
hardgainer
Invisible Man
hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook360,Kindle K4
Good Place to get an ebook to read

Have a question guys. I am considerably fresh to all these ebooks so the question is: Where are you getting these books from. Amazon is the only place i know at the moment. Is there any other places you can your books from, cheaper? Or just download them for free? Thanks for helping me out in advance guys, i really appreciate this.
hardgainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
beetham
beetham began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
A good place for a lot of "free" books is the Internet Archive. They are working with all the larger universities around the world to digitize and make available many of the books that are no longer available through any other source. What is there will surprise you.
www.archive.org/details/texts

The second best source I understand is right here on mobileread
beetham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For starters, the Mobileread uploads section

Free books
Ebook stores
Ebook libraries

and if you're looking for a particular book, try InkMesh
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardgainer View Post
Have a question guys. I am considerably fresh to all these ebooks so the question is: Where are you getting these books from. Amazon is the only place i know at the moment. Is there any other places you can your books from, cheaper? Or just download them for free? Thanks for helping me out in advance guys, i really appreciate this.
There are lots of places to get ebooks (though if you have a Kindle, it might be a bit more restricted since you can only buy DRM'd books from Amazon for the Kindle).

Barnes and Noble, Kobo and Books on Board are all good sites. Fictionwise (owned by Barnes and Noble) is a good place to look if you want to find books free of DRM (look for the multiformat books). Finally check out Smashwords; they are essentially a storefront for lots of indie books, most fairly cheap (lots free) and none with DRM.

As for free ebooks, we will assume you mean ones that are legal. And the answer is yes. There is Project Gutenberg, Manybooks.net and Feedbooks. Most of these books are in the Public Domain, but a surprisingly large number are books that authors or publishers have made available for free (usually as a promotion tool). Also in that vein, be sure to check out Baen's Free Library and the Fifth Imperium website. Both of these sites contain legal, free ebooks that are published by Baen. Great if you like Science Fiction, not so great if you don't .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
hardgainer
Invisible Man
hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I am looking for the Richard Ford "The Sportswriter",is it free and legal? Where can i find it?
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check the author's website (if he has one), the publisher's website, Feedbooks, manybooks.net and smashwords. If you can't find it free in any of those places, it is almost certainly not available for free legally.

Certain groups of writers seem to have recognized the advantage of giving their older books away more so than others. Romance and Sci-fi/Fantasy authors seem most likely (well, along with Indie authors), and often older more established authors are more reluctant (Their are exceptions though).

--
Bill
Old 08-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
hardgainer
Invisible Man

And what you call legal books? What if i scanned book? Is it legal or what? Can i share it even if it's comparatively new or will it be illegal? Just wonder... And... Is it hard to scan books?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Hardgainer,

Go to http://ebooks.addall.com/, and enter the author and title. It will show you all the sites where the book is available. If it doesn't return any results, it's safe to assume it's not available as an e-book (yet).
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
If you buy the book, then scan it, and keep the scanned book for yourself without giving copies to anyone else, then it's legal.

But you've got to ask if it's worth the effort. In order to scan it, you'd have to take the book apart, and then you'd have to OCR it, proof-read and correct it. Easier to just read the paper version.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
There are heaps of free and cheap books available at Smashwords.

Another site you might like to check out is DirectEbooks.

Cheers
Vicki
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
And what you call legal books? What if i scanned book? Is it legal or what? Can i share it even if it's comparatively new or will it be illegal? Just wonder... And... Is it hard to scan books?

As to one of your questions:

You may neither share a copyrighted ebook through MobileRead, nor solicit Members to share a copyrighted ebook through MobileRead.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
As to one of your questions:

You may neither share a copyrighted ebook through MobileRead, nor solicit Members to share a copyrighted ebook through MobileRead.

Don
(Moderator)
Is that an absolute or do you mean without the author's permission? For example, would it be wrong of me to ask one of the authors that hang out here for a copy of their work?

--
Bill
Old 09-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Nope

Quote:
I am looking for the Richard Ford "The Sportswriter",is it free and legal? Where can i find it?
It appears the publisher, Bloomsbury, has not released an e-book version of this book. So, it is not available legally as an e-book in the UK.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
If you buy the book, then scan it, and keep the scanned book for yourself without giving copies to anyone else, then it's legal.

But you've got to ask if it's worth the effort. In order to scan it, you'd have to take the book apart, and then you'd have to OCR it, proof-read and correct it. Easier to just read the paper version.

OK, supposing one *has* decided it is worth the effort? I have a 40 year old paperback from my childhood, purchased by myself. It is now falling apart. I dearly want to preserve it for reading on my nook and am planning to very carefully read it into text via speech recognition software on my computer, carefully proofing as I go.

The book in question is rare and out of print. Almost impossible to find. I've had a standing search going on eBay for a while.

The author is dead. I believe copyright resides with his family... but they have not been able to get a publisher to reprint the book. I know they have been trying for some years now from posts I have read that I believe are from a family member.

So here's the question: since I plan to digitize this book anyway, for my own use, how could I go about sharing my work with the author's family, so they could potentially have the book properly and legitimately published in ebook form?

I know where a family member has posted on a particular board, and clearly, I could get an anonymous email and offer the work through that board, but how would I prevent someone else from contacting me and posing as the family member? There's no PM function on the board that I have seen. And even if there was, while I am about 99% certain the postings I've seen are from a legit family member, I can't be 100% sure. This is, after all, the internet.

Ideas, anyone? My motives are good, but I sure wouldn't want to get in trouble for trying!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Perhaps you could take the first couple of chapters and email it the the authors family member, asking for a reply containing enough identifying information so that you could check this and then send him a cd containing the e-book.

Alternatively you could contact the original publisher asking them to forward on the finished e-book.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote