Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Kindle DX Graphite first look and macro shots of text

I wouldn't say the KDXG rivals a printed book just yet, but it is marked improvement over the KDX and any other e-ink reader on the market (even the legendary Sony PRS-505). Blacks are much blacker and the e-ink is very clean. I've posted a short first look and some 100% macro crop photos of the KDXG and nook and IREX DR800SG here: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...p?Number=37751 .

I really, really don't need another eReader, but this is tempting .
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
I found this youtube link that someone review the GKDX and I think it gives a pretty fair look at the contrast on the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbk5SM3tHRE
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I have seen a couple of new DX previews on youtube, one of which compares it with the original kindle which is not a valid comparison at all. Perhaps it is hard to capture the difference between the old and new DX's, because I am not seeing it in the pictures so far.

I have a 6 month old K2I, and a brand new K2I (well, that one is hubby's) and the difference between the quality of those two kindles is very surprising. The new one doesnt need the font hack at all. And I can read it on a small size font.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

It is very hard to capture the difference between displays on video. It takes perfect lighting, a sharp zoom and other niceties found on +$2,000 video cameras that are out of the reach of most blogs. In our work, we're finding that a high end dSLR comes closest to capturing the difference but it's still not as striking as seeing units in person.

The new display is indeed a significant improvement. I tend to read in low light environments and what was once hard on the eyes is now sharp. It's fantastic to finally see an improvement in e-ink technology that most everyone can see (at least in person) and enjoy.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
It is very hard to capture the difference between displays on video. It takes perfect lighting, a sharp zoom and other niceties found on +$2,000 video cameras that are out of the reach of most blogs. In our work, we're finding that a high end dSLR comes closest to capturing the difference but it's still not as striking as seeing units in person.

The new display is indeed a significant improvement. I tend to read in low light environments and what was once hard on the eyes is now sharp. It's fantastic to finally see an improvement in e-ink technology that most everyone can see (at least in person) and enjoy.
I totally agree. I was pleasantly surprised at how good this screen really was after being disappointed by previous incarnations. But totally unexpected was the incredible difference in low lighting situations which I discovered by accident as the sun was going down and my living room got increasingly darker. My original DX would have been unreadable at similar lighting levels. Very impressive unit. Well done.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
It is interesting that someone in the Amazon forum is returning the new DX for a few reasons, including that the grey surround becomes very tiring when reading for a prolonged period coupled with reading a bold face font. Perhaps a user issue.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:06 AM   #7
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Wink Still wait for the K3 6"

Hmmm promising..... right now I doing a extended test drive with a target purchase Kindle 2 and I am truly amazed at the quality read experience the current generation kindle 2. The battery life is also insane (coming form a libre pro) I bought the kindle 06/26/10 gave it a full charge and so far I have read three 300 page plus books and two of Sherlock Holmes novels, three more SH short stories and have use wireless 3g for about 20 minutes to download a couple of amazon books and test features and I still have over 50% of my battery life left!!! Amazing! I like the DX but I like the portability of K2 , honestly I wish the came out with a keyboard less version so it would have the go everywhere portability of my libre pro. I might exhange the k2 for the k3 if the screen is significantly better hopefully they announce the K3 soon
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
You needed a high-end DSLR to take the photos you got? The problem isn't with your equipment.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
You needed a high-end DSLR to take the photos you got? The problem isn't with your equipment.
Sorry, don't understand what you're getting at? You don't like the macro crops or just trying to flame me? I was saying that video doesn't work as well as a good quality SLR for capturing these displays.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Sorry, don't understand what you're getting at? You don't like the macro crops or just trying to flame me? I was saying that video doesn't work as well as a good quality SLR for capturing these displays.
Thank you for posting that. However, not sure if it's just me, the text on the new DX screen crop looks blurry (out of focus) as compared to the text on the older devices, the background gray looks even darker than that of the nook on your crops. Based on these photos, I am much less excited about the new DX, but I still think there is a good chance that it's only the issue with these photos, not the new DX itself (they say Pearl has 50% better contrast - I can barely see 20% improvement here).
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
No, it wasn't a direct flame. The pictures were pretty poor, and I had assumed by your previous post that you were using a high-end DSLR for them, when superior photos could be acquired from most inexpensive point and shoot cameras.

If you were in a rush to take these pictures with a video camera, then I guess I can understand the poor quality. My assumption was that you were using an SLR for them. Apologies if I misread.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

Yes, to my eyes, the background is every so slightly lighter on the nook. The text is much darker though. Illustrations, especially photos, look much better as a result of the added black levels. The background, at least on my DXG, isn't improved, it's just that the blacks are deeper.

At 100% crop with macro, you can see imperfections in the rendering of text (what you described as blur). This is like those comparison macros you might have seen in iPhone 4 reviews, where non-retina displays look terrible under macro, though they look fine to the naked eye. Imperfections in the text are readily apparent under macro. There is "noise" around the characters on the nook, but it's not as dark given the lower contrast and is thus harder to see. Increasing contrast, increases everything, not just the parts we want, so it's easier to see the "noise" around characters on the KDXG under macro. Though with the naked eye, I can't see it and the Kindle's text is much easier to read than the nook's. The IREX DR800SG has more "noise" than the nook or KDXG. It's particularly noticeable around the 3 letter p's in the word pepper, just as it would be with ink printing.

For the full review, I'll include non-macro side-by-side shots and that might be more useful for most folks.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
MarbleMadness
MarbleMadness began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung i600
Actually the pictures really helped me see the contrasty screen on the new Kindle DX graphite. Macro photos are like putting something under a microscope, I didn't expect the text would look perfectly sharp.

Thanks for posting these photos! Please don't stop!
MarbleMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleMadness View Post
Actually the pictures really helped me see the contrasty screen on the new Kindle DX graphite. Macro photos are like putting something under a microscope, I didn't expect the text would look perfectly sharp.

Thanks for posting these photos! Please don't stop!
Under higher magnification, the text does not simply look fuzzy.

Here is what E-Ink looks like when viewed at slightly higher magnification, such as in a decent macro photo. Camera used was a cheap point and shoot I bought for a bit under $200 in 2007. Font was Minion Pro Medium, somewhere around 13-14pt on a PRS-505. Chose a bigger text size since the smaller text sizes look quite bad up-close.

Something more like this is what I was expecting when I read "macro".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	largerminion.png
Views:	309
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	54785  
Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

That is certainly high magnification and the text looks very fuzzy to me. Given our difference interpretations of the same image, we might have to agree to disagree.