Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Write Good or Die freebie manual

What do Heather Graham, J.A. Konrath, M.J. Rose, Gayle Lynds, Kevin J. Anderson, Alexandra Sokoloff, Jonathan Maberry and 13 other authors have in common besides selling millions of novels? They share their advice in the writing download "Write Good or Die," available free in multiple formats at Smashwords, http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/13037. Covering art, craft, and business from a variety of perspectives.

(At Amazon, the edition is 99 cents, the lowest possible price allowed, with all proceeds benefiting the non-profit agency Literary Inc.) http://www.amazon.com/Write-Good-or-.../dp/B003H4QZOG

Also free at Scribd at http://www.scribd.com/doc/29948679/Write-Good-or-Die

Scott
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I just love the idea of a book on writing that displays poor grammar.

Shouldn't that book be titled "Write Well or Die"? Good is an adjective. Or am I being too much of a grammar Nazi?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

Shouldn't that book be titled "Write Well or Die"? Good is an adjective. Or am I being too much of a grammar Nazi?
Nope! "Write" is not a linking verb needing an adjective.

"Write" is an action verb. You use adverbs after action verbs, so it should be "Write Well or Die".

Maybe the title is to demonstrate common errors?

Last edited by dreams; 05-10-2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: clarify
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:

This is funny... When I first came to Australia, I spoke very little English, and looked the words I needed up in the Danish/English dictionary, when I needed to go to an optometrist... and I said to him: 'I don't look so good!'
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

...which, to my way of thinking, is all about the humor in the title. If one wants to write well, one needs to read the book; otherwise, one writes only "good," and that's not good enough to get published...

Well....actually.....maybe maybe writing only "good" is good enough for self-published authors.

don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Although my favourite writing program is "Write or Die", I'm unaware of anyone dying because they didn't write, well, good or appallingly (the writing, not the dying!).

So the ungrammatical title is maybe a little ironic?

Last edited by BookCat; 05-11-2010 at 02:02 AM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Found a serious typo in the contents page: Chapter 25 is called "How to get a litery agent" !
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Found a serious typo in the contents page: Chapter 25 is called "How to get a litery agent" !

Is there a chapter on Proof-reading?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free ebook, free writing manual, writing advice