Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
BigWaffles
Enthusiast
BigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-books

Device: K2, KDX
Downloading Books for Multiple Kindles

Hi All,

I just ordered a DX and have a couple of questions regarding downloading books. I know I can register the DX to my account with my K2 and share all my books. What I don't know (and can't seem to find) is how the book downloads will work. I don't use Whispernet (not availabl in my area) and download all my books manually to my PC for USB transfer. Will I have to download a seperate copy for my DX? Does anybody have suggestions on how to manage a library of downloaded books if I have a seperate copy for the DX and K2? Thanks.

C.P.T.
BigWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'm going to be facing the same question soon as I buy another kindle for the house, my wife wants one as well. Did you try Amazon.com customer support for an answer?
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Yes, you have to download separately for each Kindle or application, because of how the DRM works. It will ask you which device to download for. Keep a directory for each one on your pc, and keep backup copies in the appropriate directory.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
In addition, each device takes one license. Books usually have 4-6 licenses. It's easy to run out if you start loading your entire library on all your devices and computers. If you don't want to have to strip the DRM (which is of debatable legality) then you may want to bear that in mind.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Slightly OT, but does this mean an additional $2 per book per device for International users?

Another way that DRM is a pain in the butt for paying users. Might be better off removing the DRM and manually transferring to additional devices.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
BigWaffles
Enthusiast
BigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-books

Device: K2, KDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Yes, you have to download separately for each Kindle or application, because of how the DRM works. It will ask you which device to download for. Keep a directory for each one on your pc, and keep backup copies in the appropriate directory.
Thanks. That's kind of how i was thinking it would work. Gotta keep em seperated.

C.P.T.
BigWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote