Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #91
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I know - I am socially inept, a product of my antisocial introversion, no doubt). However, I have a pedantry for exact meaning
I would be surprised if you were as socially inept as you say, you come across as very likable and non-judgemental. As for your colorful use of language, I find it makes the English language more interesting than hearing/reading the same common wordage every day.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #92
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
If this is your attitude on a forum, I can only imagine how poorly you are received in real life. With all of the books that you read, how could you have missed Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People?

This is not Bilbo's attitude on this forum. Please do not judge a member by one unfortunate post.

Can we all get back on topic now?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #93
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
This is not Bilbo's attitude on this forum. Please do not judge a member by one unfortunate post.
I can confirm that. He is actually really nice and funny. Maybe he had a bad week.

BTW and to get back to the title of this thread, I did not order the Nook because it is not available for Europe. Again...

Last edited by aceflor; 10-25-2009 at 05:38 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #94
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I can confirm that. He is actually really nice and funny. Maybe he had a bad week.

BTW and to get back to the title of this thread, I did not order the Nook because it is not available for Europe. Again...
Ta-Da!!! Thank you! (someday, there will be one type of ebook reader, and one format world wide.) ((she said optimistically!))
Old 10-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #95
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post

I'm a member of the B&N discount club -- have been for years -- and I buy several thousand dollars worth of hardcovers every year. But the discount is not applicable to the Nook. So no price reason to preorder.
You'd think that with the price we pay for their "discount program" we'd be eligible. Also, you'd think the special 15% coupons would apply too.
Nope. Nix.

Our memberships don't even cover us "certain digital content, to include e-books"

So - what's the point?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #96
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I would be surprised if you were as socially inept as you say, you come across as very likable and non-judgemental.
Thank-you, SolRaven - I appreciate that. However, you'll have to allow that I might consider myself the lingual equivalent of that that attractive, intelligent girl on the internet that you find out is actually a 190lb 39yo ex-IT geek who spends more time typing "conversation" into his computer than actually participating in Real Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
He is a nice bloke. It probably serves as a reminder to all of us, before any of us get all antsy and want to let our offended feelings known about something and someone, that there's an extreme liklihood that the person we're offended by from a post is actually a swell, likable fella for whom a single post is just the smallest particle of his hyperparticulate self [Marc goes and looks askance at his own earlier "offended" post elsewhere ]

Quote:
...and I'm sorry to be still off-topic. I should perhaps have just followed DGMa's suggestion that it's best to just move on.

I like the Nook. I won't be ordering one. I've got an Iliad, and it serves. I do like the look of the device though.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #97
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But is it as easy to use as the Dictionary in the 600?
This is absolutely hilarious.

The thread is created to explain why a person didn't pre-order the Nook and invite additional remarks along the same line.

He mistakenly lists the absence of a dictionary as a reason. The ONLY response necessary is for someone to correct his misunderstanding, but we find instead that wishing a dictionary is absolutely not allowed.

About the time we get done beating the dead horse, we now find out that it is apparently okay to want one, but only if it is easy to use.

I just can't wait to see what wasteland this thread wanders off to next.

ROFLMAO.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #98
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
It's apparent that many people have different needs and wants for an ebook device, so there is not a single best device for everybody. I think we all acknowledge that some folks like to have a dictionary to look up words when they read, especially if English is their second (or nth) language. (Do any native English speakers really carry a dictionary around with them when they read for pleasure, and interrupt the flow of reading for lookups? I don't know anyone who does this!) And some folks like to take notes in their books. (Esp. for academic reading, I would imagine.)

Personally, I like reading general fiction and non-fiction, and usually become absorbed in a book until real life requires attention or I suddenly find myself at the last page! So, I won't be ordering a Nook (or a Kindle). Why? I value the extra battery life of the Sony Reader models, which eliminates the regular recharging hassle during regular use and when traveling. I don't want or need a cute little color lcd screen that eats up battery life, because I spend 99.x% of my time turning and reading pages, and less than 1% of my ebook time selecting the next book to read. I also don't want or need wireless to eat up more battery life. I have a blackberry with me always that serves as an adequate web browser, and a netbook with me occasionally for a full browsing experience. I actually prefer that my ebook device act like a book and doesn't tempt/hassle me with "interactive" features--it is literally my electronic book. Period.

Now, I know others have different needs and wants. Which is why I still tend to ask people what features are important to them when recommending ebook devices. Interestingly, my close family and friends, who have Readers and tend to be voracious readers, enjoy the same features I do and have no desire for the extra bells and whistles of other models (including the Sony 600). But to each their own.

The one thing I would like to see on the older Sony Readers (and the 300!) is a firmware upgrade that improves ePub handling and provides zooming for pdf files, so that they can be viewed with proper formatting.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #99
MichaelGade
Banned
MichaelGade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MichaelGade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MichaelGade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: CyBook Gen3
I didn't pre- or otherwise order because its called "Nook".

The "Nook Book" (the Nuke Book)
The "Nook e-reader" (The Nookie reader) (http://www.google.com/search?&q=define%3Anookie)

I simply cant take that name serious (I know silly me, but still).
MichaelGade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #100
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
This is absolutely hilarious.

The thread is created to explain why a person didn't pre-order the Nook and invite additional remarks along the same line.

He mistakenly lists the absence of a dictionary as a reason. The ONLY response necessary is for someone to correct his misunderstanding, but we find instead that wishing a dictionary is absolutely not allowed.

About the time we get done beating the dead horse, we now find out that it is apparently okay to want one, but only if it is easy to use.

I just can't wait to see what wasteland this thread wanders off to next.

ROFLMAO.
I do not get it why people complain or mention that the thread has drifted. The posting guidelines says:
Quote:
Threads have a life of their own and may stray in all sorts of directions. However, if the original poster, or a moderator, requests that a thread stay on topic then please respect their wishes. You could start a thread of your own about the new topic, if you want. If a thread moves to parallel discussion of two separate topics then you may also request a moderator to move posts related to a new topic to their own thread with the “Report Posts” function.
So it is perfectly accepted that thread drifts. And it is seen as a good thing since it gives a better forum.

I also get from the posting guidelines that nobody expect a moderator or the original poster should request the thread to stay on topic.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #101
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
Serious question here (as in I'm not trying to be a smart-alec, I'm actually curious): Are you a moderator now? If so, congratulations!
no, she's just very good at, and professionally qualified to sort out squabbles amongst kindergartners
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #102
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
no tts on the nook but it looks tastes and smells like a kindle

for me i wont consider the nook now i read it hasnt got tts. for me tts is vital and i was considering it but wont

but the thing that bothers me is people who need tts and relie on it may think it does all the things the kindle does and will be very disapointed and let down by this fact.

im sticking to my pockt pro and kindle untill i need to source an alternetive.

maybe there should b a comparasion list of tts only ebook readers on this site?
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #103
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sian View Post

maybe there should b a comparasion list of tts only ebook readers on this site?
Have you looked at our wiki ebook matirx? It lists all the available devices and their specs......

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #104
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Ta-Da!!! Thank you! (someday, there will be one type of ebook reader, and one format world wide.) ((she said optimistically!))
I hope not. One size does not fit all.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #105
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I hope not. One size does not fit all.
You are so correct. How about just one format? So that no matter which device you have, you can download books from any store or site?

Or would that make too much sense?