Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
rolgiati
Groupie
rolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Several Kindle 3 KB's
removing links from text . (Solved)

I am editing a text that was originally on a web-page, and contains various links to other web-pages.

Is there a simple way to remove the links, without loosing the rest of the page formatting ?

Last edited by rolgiati; 07-12-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Solved
rolgiati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well, if it's only "various" links, it shouldn't involve much effort simply to delete the <a href="xxxx.htm"> and the closing </a> links in Code View.

Indeed, find&replace would wipe out the </a> in one go.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You would have to be careful you did not remove footnotes which were links as well. You would search for http or www.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
find <a .*</a>
replace with nothing
- takes out all links, assuming there is nothing of value inside the anchor tags.

be careful because I've had instances where chapter names/numbers are also inside of those & thus a more complex expression is needed to preserve them
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
find <a .*</a>
replace with nothing
- takes out all links, assuming there is nothing of value inside the anchor tags.

be careful because I've had instances where chapter names/numbers are also inside of those & thus a more complex expression is needed to preserve them
I'd use
<a .*?</a>
to make the matching non-greedy.

@rolgiati: it always helps if you post a snippet of the HTML code you want to modify.
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

good catch - but I think it worked ok anyway for me.
I often strip these otherwise the chapter names/numbers appear as blue+underline because they look like hyperlinks - and I prefer plain black. my sony reader insists on underlining anything in <a> tags, irrespective of styling

but sometimes there's a horrendous collection of spans & styles all on the same single chapter header line, esp if the opening letter is differently styled, so it can get quite messy
Old 07-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
rolgiati
Groupie
rolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Samir View Post
@rolgiati: it always helps if you post a snippet of the HTML code you want to modify.
Here is a snippet:

looks like <a class="pcalibre" href="http://books.google.com/books?id=98PYVYGFCIIC&amp;pg=PA54&amp;lpg=PA54&amp ;dq=dimethylcadmium&amp;source=bl&amp;ots=oK-NDQqout&amp;sig=wDDF0qwknz3G-twxMl_6B8Di5lk&amp;hl=en&amp;sa=X&amp;ei=IhSDUdyMD NW-4AO51oCYAw&amp;ved=0CDMQ6AEwATgU#v=onepage&amp;q=d imethylcadmium&amp;f=false">extremely tedious work</a>, which allows you

In this exemple I would like to be able to remove everything from <a class to false">, and </a>, without loosing extremely tedious work.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

find <a class="pcalibre" href.*?>
replace with <a class="pcalibre" >

the .*? should match all text up to the 1st >

test it first!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Find:
<a class="pcalibre" href="http://books\.google\.com.+?>(.+?)</a>

Replace with:
\1
Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

the correct answer depends on whether he still wants to apply class="pcalibre" to the text
Old 07-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
rolgiati
Groupie

My thanks for the suggestions;
I finally got the result by replacing <a class="pcalibre" href.*?> with nothing, then </a> with nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Samir View Post
Replace with: \1
did not work, it put /1 in place of the link text !
Possibly the find and replace does not understand a regex in the replacement text.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
rolgiati
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
the correct answer depends on whether he still wants to apply class="pcalibre" to the text
In fact I wanted to remove the links completely.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolgiati View Post
I finally got the result by replacing <a class="pcalibre" href.*?> with nothing, then </a> with nothing.
Possibly the find and replace does not understand a regex in the replacement text.
If \1 gets put into the Text, you did not have any 'capture area' defined . the (.+?) in the original suggestion, which would leave the 'visible text' of the link still in place.
old:
Code:
 <a class="pcalibre" href="http://books.google.com/books?id=98PYVYGFCIIC&amp;pg=PA54&amp;lpg=PA54&amp ;dq=dimethylcadmium&amp;source=bl&amp;ots=oK-NDQqout&amp;sig=wDDF0qwknz3G-twxMl_6B8Di5lk&amp;hl=en&amp;sa=X&amp;ei=IhSDUdyMD NW-4AO51oCYAw&amp;ved=0CDMQ6AEwATgU#v=onepage&amp;q=d imethylcadmium&amp;f=false">extremely tedious work</a>,
New:
Code:
extremely tedious work
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
Ahmad Samir
Zealot

Quote:
It's \1 not /1
: )
Old 01-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
shotsky
Enthusiast
shotsky began at the beginning.

Quote:
Here is a snippet:

looks like <a class="pcalibre" href="http://books.google.com/books?id=98PYVYGFCIIC&amp;pg=PA54&amp;lpg=PA54&amp ;dq=dimethylcadmium&amp;source=bl&amp;ots=oK-NDQqout&amp;sig=wDDF0qwknz3G-twxMl_6B8Di5lk&amp;hl=en&amp;sa=X&amp;ei=IhSDUdyMD NW-4AO51oCYAw&amp;ved=0CDMQ6AEwATgU#v=onepage&amp;q=d imethylcadmium&amp;f=false">extremely tedious work</a>, which allows you

In this exemple I would like to be able to remove everything from <a class to false">, and </a>, without loosing extremely tedious work.
I realize this is long solved, but I do these things all the time, so even a late reply might help someone.
The regex would be to replace <a\x20[^\r\n<>]+http[^\r\n<>]+>([^\r\n<>]*)</a> with $1. The link would be removed, and the text, if any would be retained. Only possible problem is if the </a> is missing.
If further explanation is wanted by anyone, let me know.
John
shotsky is offline   Reply With Quote