Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Kindle 2 Changelogs -- official & unofficial

I think this forum should have a sticky for version changelogs (official, and what's been found through source-combing)... In case this ends up being the changelog thread, I don't mind updating it as more info's released, here we go.

2.3.3 (431100003):
Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaderreview.com
from http://ireaderreview.com/2010/02/13/...-update-2-3-3/
At the Kindle Forum there are varying reports on what improvements and fixes there are (remember this is all guess-work and not official) -
Fixes for the Kindle DX.
Faster deletes.
Faster going in and out of sleep mode.
More precise moves of the 5-way cursor.
3 separate people find the font is Darker
2.3 (unknown build #):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon support website
-Longer battery life for Kindle (Global Wireless): You can now read for up to 1 week on a single charge with wireless on. Turn wireless off and read for up to 2 weeks.
-Built-in PDF reader: Your Kindle can now display PDF documents without losing the formatting of the original file. Send PDF documents directly to your Kindle (via your @Kindle address) or drag and drop PDF files from your computer to your Kindle (when connected via USB). Learn more.
-Manual screen rotation: The Kindle screen can now manually rotate between portrait and landscape views so you can see the entire width of a web page or magnify the page of a PDF file. The page-turn buttons work the same in either orientation, and the 5-way controller movements are switched to match the orientation. Learn more.
-Option to convert PDF files to Kindle format. If you prefer to have your personal PDF documents converted to the Kindle format (so that they can reflow), type "Convert" in the subject of the e-mail when you submit your personal document to your @kindle.com address.
2.0.3 (327610024):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damętas
unrequited, I've confirmed that 2.0.3 recognizes the new TTS-disable flag in books sold on Amazon's site that are TTS-disabled. TTS blocking does not work on 2.0.2 or earlier.
http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,7303.0/
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle
Since I updated my Kindle 2 with the 2.0.3 patch, I tried it again and it seems much much faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffeer
Wow!! Much faster!
note: others like myself have noticed no speed increases, but it may be on a website-by-website basis

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45528
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmemcpy
Last night I upgraded my K2 to 2.0.3, and now I can't turn on USB networking. I get to debug mode just fine (typing `help shows all the commands, including `usbNetwork and `usbQa), however typing those seems to do nothing.
2.0.2 (309510017):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...296#post397296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshnryman
INSTALLED AND TESTED
Works w/ Kindlefixed files.
Also installed the Kindle2 screensaver hack ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...345#post380345 ) and it worked also.

NOTE: make sure to backup your documents folder (and any other necessary data you may have) before making the update. If I hadn't made the backup, I may have lost data and had to find it all again. Kindle 2.0.2 update would NOT install until I ran "Update_kindle2_restore_default_screen_savers. bin" and after I ran it, the USB connectivity would not work correctly. "I Reset to Factory Defaults" to get it back to a working 2.0.1 and then updated to 2.0.2
note: a lot of other people are just unhacking, updating, and hacking again without issue, but backups are always a good idea whenever performing an update.

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...html#msg116077
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited
Just updated, and the UI definitely is faster. Page refreshes are faster. I can confirm at least one bugfix as well. When reading manga/comics (or viewing images in the pictures folder) "Partial Refresh" finally works. Whenever you turn the page, it blanks the screen, refreshes the top half of the page first, and then refreshes the bottom half of the screen so if you're reading comics/manga you can change pages even quicker.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...814#post397814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghchinoy
Looking at the published gnu linux kernel sources provided by Amazon, only 4 files are different:

arch/arm/mach-mx3/dvfs_v2.c
arch/arm/plat-mxc/isp1504xc.c
arch/arm/plat-mxc/wdog.c
sound/arm/mxc-alsa-pmic.c

These are the kernel (2.6.22) mods from the last Kindle version, 2.0.1 (303870012).

Until Amazon posts release notes, we won't really know what was different in the functioning of the Kindle software, but the kernel changes look like adding in a counter to reboot (6 times) and setting the minimal soundchannels to 2.
2.0.1 (303870012):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
- the power management routines of the i.MX31 CPU and MC13783 PMIC
- the battery charger routines
- the broadsheet watchdog timer
- the eInk frame buffer device
v2.0 (291330095):
Initial release

Last edited by unrequited; 05-21-2010 at 04:36 AM.
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
unrequited
Zealot

reserved for extra room 1
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
unrequited
Zealot

reserved for extra room 2
Old 03-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
unrequited
Zealot

reserved for extra room 3
Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I'm not sure uploading Amazon's files here is a good idea...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I'm not sure uploading Amazon's files here is a good idea...
I took them down. Forum policy.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
unrequited
Zealot

2.0.3 added, notes to follow from user discoveries in the coming days
Old 04-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
unrequited
Zealot

udpated 2.0.3
Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 AM   #9
unrequited
Zealot

updated
Old 05-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
unrequited, I've confirmed that 2.0.3 recognizes the new TTS-disable flag in books sold on Amazon's site that are TTS-disabled. TTS blocking does not work on 2.0.2 or earlier.
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
unrequited
Zealot

thanks! updated
Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 AM   #12
Syniurge
Enthusiast
Syniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-650
Hi!

Amazon support ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200324680 ) still links to http://www.amazon.com/update_kindle2.bin but the file is not available anymore..
unrequited do you have the file and can I send you a PM ?
Syniurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:05 AM   #13
unrequited
Zealot

I just clicked on it and it worked... that's Kindle 2 v2.0.3 linked here: http://www.amazon.com/update_kindle2.bin

weird.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #14
Syniurge
Enthusiast
Syniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Here it says:
Quote:
We're sorry, this title is not currently available for download.

We are investigating the difficulty with this title and ask that you try again in 24 hours. If after that time you are still unable to access this title, please contact us for further assistance. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com!
Weird..
That's maybe because my new Kindle isn't registred yet. I live outside U.S, but I'm going to try anyway.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #15
Syniurge
Enthusiast

That did the trick, thanks for your fast answer unrequited!

Tags
change logs