Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Stuck With the Library?

I am planning to buy a Kindle DX, however there is one thing that really is of greatest importance.

Seeing as how Amazon lets you buy books online, I was wondering if there is no other way of loading books on your DX (ie. load your own papers, or load books that you bought outside of the Amazon shops).

I am thinking there is the possibility to load your own books, but just wanted to confirm.
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
I am planning to buy a Kindle DX, however there is one thing that really is of greatest importance.

Seeing as how Amazon lets you buy books online, I was wondering if there is no other way of loading books on your DX (ie. load your own papers, or load books that you bought outside of the Amazon shops).

I am thinking there is the possibility to load your own books, but just wanted to confirm.
Yes, you can load your own content via USB.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Oh, good to hear.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
you can also send them over the wireless for a small fee.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Majorix,

Of course, the books have to be in a format the Kindle can read. You can certainly load your own books or other docs via USB, but you might have to convert them to Kindle (Mobi) format first.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I sometimes use my Kindle as temporary storage for all kinds of formats, but it really is limited as to what it can read.

Hopefully one day I will be able to copy excel/word docs on and open them.. I suspect some kind of license may be required from microsoft for this?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Americanchild
Enthusiast
Americanchild doesn't litterAmericanchild doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
You cannot read DRMd books from other book stores or the library unless you stand on your head and jump through hoops first (strip the DRM and reformat).
Americanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanchild View Post
You cannot read DRMd books from other book stores or the library unless you stand on your head and jump through hoops first (strip the DRM and reformat).
Yeah but once you get it set up it's pretty easy.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Hopefully one day I will be able to copy excel/word docs on and open them.. I suspect some kind of license may be required from microsoft for this?
It isn't just a license, but they would also have to have software that understood those formats, as well. Non-trivial. Excel tends to be too wide to work well on a small screen, anyway. Word docs that are simple convert easily.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanchild View Post
Once you get set up, thanks to Daffy, et al, it really is more like skipping rope. Or like skipping rope was when I was a kid.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote