Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #181
McPoke
McPoke began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Just finished reading John Grisham's Calico Joe. That's four hours I'll never get back.
McPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #182
McPoke
McPoke began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Make that listening to Calico Joe.
McPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #183
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I've just started listening to Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell, narrated by the author, as recommended on a recent edition of Starship Sofa. I'm enjoying it so far, although I really need to figure out how to fix the ordering of these multi-part podcast books on my iPod.
Have you tried to make a playlist and transfer that to your iPod instead of synchronizing the podcast? It should do the trick.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #184
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Went out to sffaudio and got the entire X-Minus 1 "old time" radio show series. Listening to them on my daily commute.

You just have to love dramatizations of classic sci-fi stories.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #185
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished re-listening to In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker, the first book in the Company series. I always like to revisit botanist Mendoza and her father-mentor Joseph, one of the oldest cyborgs in the series.

This was my fourth visit to the book (two times read, two times listened to), and the more often I read it, the more often I come to the conclusion that Nicholas Harpole is a real prick.

Spoiler:
Way too intelligent for his time (and for a reason), and not in the least as funny as his third incarnation centuries later.

Loved the setting in Elizabethan England as much as ever, as well as the cyborgs struggling with some situations where they have to hide their future technology from the contemporary mortals.

I can't recommend this highly enough.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #186
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Listening to 1632 by Eric Flint, read by George Guidall. I had already read this as an eBook (part of the Baen Free Library!), but hearing it has brought new enjoyment. This is very well read by Mr. Guidall. He does an excellent job of differentiating voices without intruding into the narrative of the book. Strongly recommended.

Last edited by CRussel; 05-30-2012 at 03:27 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #187
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Listening to 1632 by Eric Flint, read by George Guidall. I had already read this as an eBook (part of the Baen Free Library!), but hearing it has brought new enjoyment. This is very well read by Mr. Guidall. He does an excellent job of differentiating voices without intruding into the narrative of the book. Strongly recommended.
Different strokes for different folks. I loved the book, but only reached the halfway point of the audio book before I abandoned it. I don't think it was the reader's fault, I just think that it was easier to scan through some of the less interesting parts in an ebook while the audiobook just kind of bogged down there.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #188
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Different strokes for different folks. I loved the book, but only reached the halfway point of the audio book before I abandoned it. I don't think it was the reader's fault, I just think that it was easier to scan through some of the less interesting parts in an ebook while the audiobook just kind of bogged down there.
Interesting. I can simply ignore parts that get too involved when I'm listening. Since I'm usually doing something else -- working out, swimming, driving, whatever -- I just don't listen much when it hits something dull.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #189
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'm currently listening to "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:21 AM   #190
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Started listening to the first part of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time (I must be out my mind...). I got this as a freebie from Audible.de last year, so no regrets if I stop halfway through. Just curious where all the love and hate for this series comes from.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #191
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Interesting. I can simply ignore parts that get too involved when I'm listening. Since I'm usually doing something else -- working out, swimming, driving, whatever -- I just don't listen much when it hits something dull.
Me too. I seem to be much more tolerant to boring parts when I'm listening to a book than when I am actually reading it. Helps me get through some classics I always wanted to read but could never get myself to actually read in paper or ebook form.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #192
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm listening to The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester, which got a lot of attention in the "best sci fi novel" thread, but I'm finding it only okay so far. For the first time in a while I'm spending more time with the book I'm actually reading, Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
Started listening to the first part of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time (I must be out my mind...). I got this as a freebie from Audible.de last year, so no regrets if I stop halfway through. Just curious where all the love and hate for this series comes from.
I gave the first audiobook a go (in English) solely because I enjoy Brandon Sanderson's work, and he finished out the series after Jordan's death, but it was such melodramatic pap. I didn't get far.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #193
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'm fairly new to audiobooks. At the moment I'm listening to Ivanhoe via an iPod App and Librivox. I think it might well be an interesting approach to experiencing stories.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #194
RoccoPaco
Enthusiast
RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
I finished reading Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen and narrated by Katherine Kellgren. It was a freebie from Audible in January that was listed on the MR Forums by ATDrake. I greatly enjoyed listening to this and now am reading the rest of the series.
RoccoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #195
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
The Lost Gate on eaudio from the library. I just realized it is an Or son Scott card. :P
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations