Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
Tomte
Tomte began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, iPod Touch (2G), Nokia N800
Auto-generate multiple formats

Using Calibre .7.14 I can currently download news recipes in the selected default format (for me, mobi.)

However I'd also like to have the news in ePub.

Is there any way to automate the conversion to ePub? I know I can manually convert it. Maybe some command line intervention that I could schedule to run the appropriate time?

The goal is to have the file in the correct format when I access remotely via the content server from either my Kindle 2 or the iPhone iBooks reader.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Tomte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomte;

The goal is to have the file in the correct format when I access remotely via the content server from either my Kindle 2 or the iPhone iBooks reader.!
As far as I know iBooks cannot access the Calibre content server (although I wish it could). If you want to this you would need to use an alternative ebook reader that understands the OPDS catalog format. The ones that spring to mind for the iPhone are Stanza and QuickReader.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Tomte

I can access Calibre on the iPhone using the web browser, then open the file using iBooks.

The real issue is getting Calibre to automatically create an ePub version in addition to my default format of .Mobi.

There doesn't appear to be a way to set Calibre to create two formats automatically. I've done a little bit of investigating into doing a conversion at the command line, but I don't know yet if this is really a viable option.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to use the ebook-convert command line tool to downlaod each news recipe twice, once per output format.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Tomte

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I have my batch file for Windows XP Home written and working; it may not be the most elegant, but I post it here in case others are interested:

REM --------------------------------------------
REM Set a variable called TODAY with today's date
REM
for /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /T') do set year=%%c
for /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /T') do set month=%%a
for /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /T') do set day=%%b
set TODAY=%year%-%month%-%day%
REM
REM Change directories
REM
cd "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\recipes"
REM
REM Grab all the recipes for today
REM
start /wait ebook-convert usatoday.recipe "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\mynews\usatoday\%today%.u satoday.mobi"
start /wait ebook-convert usatoday.recipe "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\mynews\usatoday\%today%.u satoday.epub"
REM
REM List the Database contents and add new files
REM
start /wait calibredb list
start /wait calibredb add -1 -d "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\mynews\usatoday"
REM
REM Make a backup and clean working directory
REM
copy "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\mynews\usatoday\*.*" "E:\files\eBooks\originals\News\*.*"
del/q "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\mynews\usatoday\*.*"
REM
REM Exit Gracefully
REM
exit
Advert