Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Question about Sony PRS 300

I have a Kindle, but I'm thinking about buying Sony reader so that I can check out books from the library. I have a question about buying books for the Sony reader. If I buy a book from the Sony Bookstore, is it tied to a particular reader like Amazon books? In other words, if I buy a book for a Sony reader, can it be read by all Sony readers?
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not a techinical person so someone please chime in to correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe, if you purchase a book from the Sony bookstore it can be read on any device that supports Adobe Adept Epub as long as that device is linked to the same Adobe account from which you made your purchase. So in short, yes, it can be read by all Sony readers.

The long answer is
Sony account linked to Adobe account linked to reader. You can link up to x number of readers to each sony/adobe account. I think it's 6 but could be wrong on that. So if you purchase another Sony reader at a later time and want to read books you've previously purchased, just make sure to authorize it to the same account you made your purchases with.

Last edited by MerLock; 02-11-2010 at 11:04 AM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
If you purchase an ebook from the Sony Store it can be read on all Sony Readers. Because the ebooks are in ePub format, they can also be read on devices that read ePub and use the Adobe DRM scheme which may include the Nook, Astak, Cybook and others I cannot think of.

When checking out ebooks from the library you format choices will be ePub and/or PDF. Selection of each format will vary by library.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
If you purchase an ebook from the Sony Store it can be read on all Sony Readers. Because the ebooks are in ePub format, they can also be read on devices that read ePub and use the Adobe DRM scheme which may include the Nook, Astak, Cybook and others I cannot think of.
It includes essentially every book reader on the market except Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
B&N use an incompatible variant of Adobe's DRM, based on 'social DRM' where your credit card details are used to unlock the book. To the best of my knowledge, unless you remove the DRM, a Sony (or any other other Adobe DE) reader cannot read books bought at B&N and the nook cannot read books bought at Sony.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
B&N use an incompatible variant of Adobe's DRM, based on 'social DRM' where your credit card details are used to unlock the book. To the best of my knowledge, unless you remove the DRM, a Sony (or any other other Adobe DE) reader cannot read books bought at B&N and the nook cannot read books bought at Sony.
Correct. B&N ePub books can only be read on other devices only if you remove the DRM.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Not trying to start a fight, but this is the exact reason I didn't get the kindle or nook. Just saying.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote