Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Kindle 3G demands wi-fi connection, won't revert to 3G

I occasionally use my Kindle 3G at my workplace, where there's an enterprise wi-fi connection I cannot use.

Sometimes -- not always -- when I turn on the wireless, the Kindle scans for local wi-fi networks and gives me a list of two or three wi-fi, demanding that I log onto one before I can proceed. When I cancel (because they are locked networks that I don't have access to), the Kindle 3G doesn't revert to a 3G connection, but puts up a message regretting that it cannot connect to wi-fi. There seems to be no way, at such times, that I can override the "wi-fi first" setting and tell it to revert to 3G.

Does anyone have this problem? Is there a way around it? It doesn't happen often, but it's frustrating when it does. I can't even get into the Kindle Store!
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
Not the same, but similar.

My german dictionary download says it requires a WiFi-connection. Other content can be downloaded via 3G. I haven't solved that yet, though.
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
I occasionally use my Kindle 3G at my workplace, where there's an enterprise wi-fi connection I cannot use.

Sometimes -- not always -- when I turn on the wireless, the Kindle scans for local wi-fi networks and gives me a list of two or three wi-fi, demanding that I log onto one before I can proceed. When I cancel (because they are locked networks that I don't have access to), the Kindle 3G doesn't revert to a 3G connection, but puts up a message regretting that it cannot connect to wi-fi. There seems to be no way, at such times, that I can override the "wi-fi first" setting and tell it to revert to 3G.

Does anyone have this problem? Is there a way around it? It doesn't happen often, but it's frustrating when it does. I can't even get into the Kindle Store!
The Kindle will always attempt to connect to a "known" WiFi network in preference to 3G. You need to tell the Kindle to "forget" the WiFi networks that it's attempting to connect to; it will then use 3G.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle will always attempt to connect to a "known" WiFi network in preference to 3G. You need to tell the Kindle to "forget" the WiFi networks that it's attempting to connect to; it will then use 3G.
But how do I tell it to "forget" a wi-fi network that it has never, ever been connected to in the first place?
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
sil
sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I get the same problem at the local mall where they have free wifi. Except its not totally open, when using a browser it forces a login page where you give yourself a temp name and password for this session before it gives you access to the wifi (you don't get given a wep key or anything, no idea what the point of the login is). This system doesn't work on the K3, the browser won't display anything and it won't connect to the free wifi. It seems like it knows there is an open wifi point with strong signal and insists on trying to connect (which it never can) and so it never defaults back to 3G.
sil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert