Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
terje.tel
terje.tel began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Question Unbricking a DR1000S?

Hi,

My DR1000S has been sitting on my desk all since the times of the 2.0 beta/rc firmwares. What happened is that one of the firmwares bricked my DR1000S so that it doesn’t start at all. At least nothing seems to happen on the screen. Of course this all happened at the time iRex went bankrupt so I couldn't get it fixed by them. I've been hoping the new company would spring to life and maybe they still have the needed equipment/expertise to fix the issue. Then I saw that there is still activity here with regards to the various iRex products and therefore I figured maybe someone had some tips or information that could be useful. I’ve search the forums and read any thread which could have given me a clue, but nothing so far.

The DR1000 does take charge (red->orange->green), the bottom middle button does light up, and the reset button also seems to do its tricks. Nothing appears on the screen at any time though. Any ideas I could try? Or should I just get rid of the thing?

//Terje
terje.tel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
I would try to take the SD card out, format it through a card reader directly on a computer and put (again ?) the latest firmware on the empty card from the computer. The link to the latest firmware can be found on the wikipage
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Digi...e_applications
Put the card back in, start up and see what happens.

Unless there is some serious hardware problem, I can see no reason why this shouldn't work .... good luck!
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
terje.tel

Thanks fekhner,

That is basically what I've tried a dozen times. Anyway, I gave it another try just now. Nothing is happening. I think maybe some of the beta's/rc's which did this for me had a new bootloader or something which messed up things. At that time they told me I had to ship the reader to NL for the to fix it, but that never happened because for the bankruptcy. Everything was working just fine up to that version that messed everything up )

Any other ideas?

//Terje
Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Maybe it's not the ideal solution, but under the current circumstances I'd try a motherboard transplant from a unit with a broken screen but otherwise functional. SFXPilot sells them, and I can post all the necessary details to completely disassemble / reassemble your units.

Last edited by MrWarper; 11-05-2011 at 07:08 AM.
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
terje.tel

Thanks MrWarper,

That's an idea, I don't think it would be hard to change out the motherboard, but I was not planning to spend to much money on getting this fixed so it all depends on what SFXPilot charges for the part. Any idea about that?

Also, since the support people at iRex was under the impression they could fix it that might be possible, but maybe require some tools not available?

//Terje
Old 11-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
sorry to hear that, unfortunately no clever ideas from my side ...
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by terje.tel View Post
Thanks MrWarper,
You're welcome.

Quote:
...it all depends on what SFXPilot charges for the part. Any idea about that?
I don't want to infringe forum policies, check your PMs

Quote:
Also, since the support people at iRex was under the impression they could fix it that might be possible, but maybe require some tools not available?
Probably, maybe through the big 'secret' connector, after all, the firmware is somehow written there a first time, but only they know.

Most comments I've read on getting DRs fixed by iRex gave the impression that anything minimally serious resulted in MB replacement and you being charged around $300, which in turn gave the idea of how much the MBs costed iRex.
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote