Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
IF you could add one function to your Kindle...

Since we're starting to see a small trickle of apps for the Kindle, games right now, what would be the one app or function you would add to your Kindle if you could? Aside from ePub or some other file format support that everyone wants.

I'd like to see an customizable alarm, just something that pops up and says "Hey, stop reading for a minute and go take your pills!" I can be kind of forgetful about that.

Edit: Could a Mod change the title from Kindel to Kindle for me? Can't believe I did that.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
I'd have to second the alarm with a countdown timer.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'd like to see an customizable alarm, just something that pops up and says "Hey, stop reading for a minute and go take your pills!" I can be kind of forgetful about that.
Although I'm quite new to, and ignorant about, this world, it is hard for me to imagine that such PDA functions won't be soon added to the Kindle apps selection that now only includes two free games. Whether any Kindle developers will release this as freeware, that's a different question.

A lot of Kindle users probably carry a cell phone with such features.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
mattbiernat
Enthusiast
mattbiernat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
A lot of Kindle users probably carry a cell phone with such features.
1) i don't. i hate cell phones that look more like computers than actual phones.
2) kindle has much bigger screen and it would be much easier for me to read my emails on it
3) you have to pay for using cell phone 3G while whispernet is for free.
4) kindle is better on your eyes for reading emails than any cell phone
enough said...
here is what i would like to see on a kindle:
1) office apps: word, excel, email, a calandar feature that would sync with my gmail account
2) photo viewer (something like picasa)
3) media player that would allow me to directly buy music from amazon and organize it into playlists (something like windows media player/itunes)
mattbiernat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbiernat View Post
3) media player that would allow me to directly buy music from amazon and organize it into playlists (something like windows media player/itunes)
In this NYTimes article the other day there is speculation about Amazon looking into other hardware possibilities.

"According to people with direct knowledge of the company’s plans...“There was talk of music players and other electronics.”" This would tie in with Amazon's music business. If they go in this direction I could see more music capabilities coming to the Kindle in future hardware versions.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
To be able to download free public library ebooks.
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
mattbiernat
Enthusiast

thanks for the article, i am looking forward to some improved kindle apps.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Instead of seeing a text list of books, I would like to see a list of covers, just like in my Cybook.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Instead of seeing a text list of books, I would like to see a list of covers, just like in my Cybook.
I was thinking about that the other day. It'd be a nice option.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
A bank of solar cells in one section of the frame - for trickle-charging its battery while in use.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
mattbiernat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
A bank of solar cells in one section of the frame - for trickle-charging its battery while in use.
that actually makes sense considering that the battery takes 1 month to discharge and people have to use this device in some kind of light.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
My first choice would be for the Kindle to do the housework.

But seriously, I'd love to have images of the book covers displayed.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_lu View Post
This is certainly the number one item for me.

I just now browsed the selection at my home public library, and it didn't interest me. The selection for the library of the city where I work, Philadelphia, is slightly more in tune with my tastes, and I reserved one book (3 patrons ahead of me). But their eBook selecton still is trivial compared to what's on the shelves. However, over the next few years, won't this change? I think it already is changing, with fewer hardback purchases due to recession battered library budgets.

I've ordered a Kindle 3, partly for the "experimental" no-monthly-fee internet access. I don't see myself ever buying another eReader unless it conveniently accepts encrypted library eBooks.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-12-2010 at 10:08 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
yea what you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_lu View Post
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
This is certainly the number one item for me.

I just now browsed the selection at my home public library, and it didn't interest me. The selection for the library of the city where I work, Philadelphia, is somewhat better, and I reserved one book (3 readers are in front of me). But their eBook selecton still is trivial compared to what's on the shelves. However, over the next few years, won't this change? I think it already is changing, with fewer hardback purchases due to recession battered library budgets.

I've ordered a Kindle 3, partly for the "experimental" no-monthly-fee internet access. I don't see myself ever buying another eReader unless it conveniently accepts encrypted library eBooks.
Library eBook selection may actually be getting worse (I'll try to find where I read this earlier today...). Only a small fraction of patrons have ebook readers, it doesn't make sense to move quickly to ebooks, with budgets as limited as they generally are. So selection is likely to remain limited. Plus publishers and Overdrive seem to see libraries as a source of free advertising, as retail channels, all the while insisting on an anachronistic lending model (each digital copy can be read by only one patron at a time, which artificially increase scarcity and drives people to purchase what they'd otherwise read for free). Overdrive is not cheap, either - libraries may pay more than retail for their digital copies and associated lending rights. See this white paper on Overdrive's web site (PDF download): How eBook Catalogs at Public Libraries Drive Publishers’ Book Sales and Profits

But my librarian sister tells me that they have a pilot program where her library has purchased several Kindles, loaded them up with content, and then lend them out like books (after deregistering them from the library's Amazon account of course). It seems this could indeed be cheaper and simpler than something like Overdrive - and without complexities of patrons having to futz with downloading from a website, transferring to a reading device over USB with ADE, etc. I suppose this approach could be used with any reading device but Amazon's licensing terms are attractive (up to 5 devices for simultaneous usage).

If more libraries take this up, perhaps we'll have a good cause to donate our old Kindles to when we trade up to a new one. I'm sure libraries would get the last drop of usage out of them, too. And it would increase pressure on Amazon and Overdrive to get a Kindle solution together.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote