Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
steffi
Enthusiast
steffi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Anybody use a portable reading stand?

Anybody buy or make their own portable reading stand sturdy enough for a kindle dx? the idea to hold the DX in a reading position on a table.
steffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I just started using one myself, and chose a folding plate holder made of very thin wood. It folds flat enough to fit inside the same pocket as my reader in its case.

This is a plate display stand one would use on a sideboard to hold up a saucer rather than a dinner plate.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Ghostlight
Book Nut
Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: iPad 2, Nook Color
I have a cast iron cookbook stand that I got at Target. It's fairly tall; should work for Kindle. Before I got my Sony reader, I used it to hold regular books that I would read while I ate dinner. It's nice and heavy; it won't tip.
Ghostlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Have a look at this tread: (+pictures )

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24514
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:48 AM   #5
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffi View Post
Anybody buy or make their own portable reading stand sturdy enough for a kindle dx? the idea to hold the DX in a reading position on a table.
I would find the awkward, or do you have a remote control to turn the pages?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 02:53 AM   #6
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I would find the awkward, or do you have a remote control to turn the pages?
If the dx version works like the kindle 2, there is a way of getting the kindle to turn the pages itself. I believe it involves using the text to speech function and instructions are in the kindle cookbook sold on amazon.

Tuff-luv do a beautiful flip-style case with book-stand for the kindle and dx:
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/11083012/I-Nique-Tuff-Luv-Napa-Leather-Case-For-Amazon-Kindle-2/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0&&_$ja=tsid:11518 %7Ccc:%7Cprd:11083012%7Ccat:E

I have the black kindle 2 version and it is gorgeous - haven't tested it as waiting for my kindle to arrive.

Last edited by poshm; 02-03-2010 at 03:04 AM.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Want to try a beanbag

I have this idea (have yet to implement it, of course, and knowing myself may never get around to it). Build a rigid or semi-rigid "lip" (for my Touch I was planning on dismembering a cassette tape case) into a beanbag. Then you can set the thing on a table, the arm of a chair, resting on your leg, etc, and adjust the angle of the thing for best viewing for your situation. I sometimes read while knitting (or want to have a pattern or knitting chart available), and I don't always have a table at a comfortable spot for that. A lap desk interferes with where I want to put my hands (and puts the reader at an awkward angle).

Obviously one would have to use judgement about placement to make sure it was truly stable, but I know people use beanbags as "tripods" (blobpods?) for expensive cameras....The fabric used could be a grippy kind like pseudosuede.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote