Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
styleito
styleito began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-300
Hard Reset?

Hello,

I just got a sony pocket reader today and it hates me already.
Can anyone tell me how do I do a hard reset on a PRS-300 pocket reader?
I haven't been able to find instructions online or in the product manual.

Thanks.
styleito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Like below will give you the info from the Sony site....

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...00%20159283607
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
styleito
styleito began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-300
Thank you,

The only instructions that I could find were for the 500 series readers.
styleito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
Been there done that already.
Poke a small pin in the hole at the bottom of the reader, where it says 'reset'.
While doing that turn it on and off.
It looks like nothing is happening but give it a minute or so.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Why do you need to do a hard reset? What is your Reader doing?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Why do you need to do a hard reset? What is your Reader doing?
Mine got stuck loading a huge PDF.
I got impatient and mashed all the buttons at once.
Later realized it can be very slow loading at times.
So now I know. No more button mashing.

P.S.

There is a manual in the reader, look in... documents\PRS300_UG.zip folder

Last edited by Dusty; 12-30-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:01 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Been there done that already.
Poke a small pin in the hole at the bottom of the reader, where it says 'reset'.
While doing that turn it on and off.
It looks like nothing is happening but give it a minute or so.
That is not a hard reset; that's a normal reset.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
Prs 300 Hard reset

According to sony this is how you do a hard reset on a 300 reader.

WARNING: A hard reset will erase all content on the Reader.

1. Power off the Reader.
2. On the bottom edge of the Reader, using the stylus, press the RESET button.
3. Turn on the Reader.
4. While the screen displays Opening book... , simultaneously press and hold down the down arrow of the directional button and the 0 button until the Reset All screen is displayed.

NOTE: If Opening book... does not display on the screen, charge the Reader's battery for several hours before attempting the reset process again.
5. Press the 5 button to reset the Reader.
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Anders
Enthusiast
Anders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Reset does not work

I tried to reset my prs300 as described above. Even did it a few times. Nothing happens. Not only it does not solve my problem (a warning sign with "invalid format") but when i view it as a usb-drive, it seems like no books have been removed.

Any good tips about reformating the device?
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
Pripyat
Beginner E-Book Reader
Pripyat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 Silver
Hi Readerz!

Sadly it seems my reader is freezed...
Yesterday i just put some new titles to my reader,i unplugged from my computer,the main menu appeared,the little refreshing icon is spinned,but after it stopped,nothing happened. This happened until the battery is totally gone empty,i put to the wall charger,fully recharged it and now just only one thing happening. Showing the reader logo and the opening book...
Nothing else. If i try to push the reset button and turn off the reader it restart itself the yellow led is flashing and after nothing. I try to push the down arrow and the 0 but nothing happened. How long i need to push those buttons?

Pripyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Below is the hard reset procedure for the 300. Before doing the hard reset are you able to connect the Reader to your computer and view the ebooks from either Calibre of the Sony Library software? Try to first remove the titles you copied to the Reader before the problem started. Then see if this fixes the problem.

Hard Reset (PRS-300)

WARNING: A HARD RESET WILL ERASE ALL CONTENT ON THE READER.

1. Power off the Reader.
2. On the bottom edge of the Reader, using a pin or paper clip, press the RESET button.
3. Turn on the Reader.
4. While the screen displays Opening book... , simultaneously press and hold down the down arrow of the directional button and the 0 button until the Reset All screen is displayed.

NOTE: If Opening book... does not display on the screen, charge the Reader's battery for several hours before attempting the reset process again.

5. Press the 5 button to reset the Reader.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
Pripyat
Beginner E-Book Reader

Actually i tried this but nothing happened.

Just a few questions:

I need to hold the reset button while i turn on the reader?
Approx how long i need to hold the down and the 0 button?

Thanx everyone!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pripyat View Post
Actually i tried this but nothing happened.

Just a few questions:

I need to hold the reset button while i turn on the reader?
Approx how long i need to hold the down and the 0 button?

Thanx everyone!
Press the reset button. Nothing will happen when you do that. Then turn on the reader... if should reset.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
Pripyat
Beginner E-Book Reader

It seems nothing happening. I held the buttons for 5 minutes but still just the "Opening book..." What the .... happened with my reader?!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nothing will appear to happen when you press the reset button; it simply switches the device off (which doesn't affect the image on the screen). You need to press the power switch, after resetting, to reboot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote