Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Linda
Enthusiast
Linda began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Sony 505 - vertical white line

My Sony is about two years old. About a month ago I noticed that a thin white vertical line flashes in the middle of the screen when I turn a page. Will this get worse? Is there anything I can do?
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hi, Linda. I haven't come across a post that discusses this. There are so many new posts lately that I may have missed this problem being mentioned in a thread. (I try to collect these threads in case I ever have a problem or need to link it for someone else.)

Hopefully, a member who has experience with this or has seen a thread about this will pop in and share the information.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I see it now and then on my own PRS-505. It's infrequent, irregular, and ultimately I've not seen it have any impact other than how the "page turn flash" looks.

Only had my reader for a few months though.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
Linda
Enthusiast

I have had my Sony 505 for two years. I called Sony about the problem and they said it could not be repaired and offered me a refubished 505 for $100.00. I am thinking of waiting until December and getting a new 900.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
I have had my Sony 505 for two years. I called Sony about the problem and they said it could not be repaired and offered me a refubished 505 for $100.00. I am thinking of waiting until December and getting a new 900.
Sorry, Linda... but is this really a problem of a magnitude that you are looking to replace your unit?

For me, this is a semi-regular (and fleetingly brief) difference between how quickly the left half of the display updates versus the right half. Once the refresh is done--no artefacts/lines remain. Are we having different problems?

- Ahi
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
Linda
Enthusiast

Different problems. The white line is always there - it used to be there just when I turned a page. Now, there is a line down the middle of the print. I guess I keep thinking it is going to get worse.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
Different problems. The white line is always there - it used to be there just when I turned a page. Now, there is a line down the middle of the print. I guess I keep thinking it is going to get worse.
Oh. So sorry to hear that, Linda!

Will they offer you some trade-in discount, or are they convinced it is not a manufacturing defect?

- Ahi
Old 09-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
Linda
Enthusiast

All he would give me was the offer of $100 refurbished 505. I am not sure I want to do that. The new 900 sounds very tempting - but the price is a real stopper - $400.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I say go for the $100 refurbished unit! Right now, the 505s are going for $250 to $300 on eBay. So you could use the 505 for awhile, and then if you decide you want the 900, just sell the 505 and you'll have a nice downpayment of the 900.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
Mrek
Mrek began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I have the same problem and I just wonder why to go for the product of company which shows such customer attitude.
At the same time my XBOX360 went down (3y old). Microsoft repaired it in few days (germany).
I would expect something like this form Sony, not refurbished stuff which will go down in next few months. Those lines are seem to be a common problem in prs-505 devices.
M
Mrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
Linda
Enthusiast

I have switched to the Kindle

I have more or less given up on the Sony. I still have some books on it I have not read - but I am getting all my new books on the Kindle. I have noticed that in discussions in newspapers about ebooks Sony is never mentioned any more. All the attention is on Kindle, Nook and the Ipad.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I wouldn't go by general newspaper twiddle-twaddle, Linda. It tends to be superficial. But if you're really brassed off with Sony, I can understand why you wouldn't like to keep dealing with them. I've been very lucky with my -- as have others here -- and wouldn't dream of changing to another maker. You'd think the company would reward obvious, general customer loyalty with more generous treatment than you're getting. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
But if you're really brassed off with Sony, I can understand why you wouldn't like to keep dealing with them.
She never indicated that she was "brassed off with Sony". After 2 years her 505 became unusable as she described. Sony made her a good offer, but she decided to move on.

I agree with you and "I wouldn't go by general newspaper twiddle-twaddle" either. Sony is still a very flexible line with a large worldwide audience. Plus now that the drm for both Sony and Amazon has been hacked you can buy from either of them.

Linda - I'm glad you have a nice ereader again.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote