Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Two-fingers light control on older models - done

Hello everyone. I've made a custom kernel that enables multitouch on older models - you'll say, even Marek's kernel did that. Well that's right, but I've refactored the touchscreen driver in order to output the same events of the capacitive screen on the new Kobo Aura. This means that flashing this kernel will enable controlling the light intensity with two fingers and pinch to zoom in pdfs and images in older models as well, rejoice
The attached package has been tested thoroughly both on my Kobo Glo and on my Kobo AuraHD. It works; however I take no responsibility if this mod causes some harm to your device.
So, have fun but be responsible, be sure to have a working image to debrick your own device. The code is at
https://github.com/giorgio130/linux-...obo-multitouch
It should also work on mini and newer touch, since they already share the same kernel as glo, but obviously it would only enable pinch to zoom. For this reason, no uImage for those pcbs is included in the package - if you wish to try it out, rename one uImage (they're all the same) to uImage-E50610 for kobo mini and to uImage-E60610D for kobo touch ( only newer model!)

WARNING
Upgrading to 3.2.0 with this mod active will make your touch unresponsive. Please use the attached multitouch-uninstall.zip before upgrading to 3.2.0.
Afterwards, you can apply KoboMultitouch320.zip to regain the functionality.
If you are already on 3.2.0 and newer, just install KoboMultitouch320.zip.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboMultitouch.zip (5.66 MB, 2757 views)
File Type: zip multitouch-uninstall.zip (5.75 MB, 2379 views)
File Type: zip KoboMultitouch320.zip (5.66 MB, 3491 views)

Last edited by giorgio130; 02-27-2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: changed attached file
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Lovely. If I can get my mother to bring her Glo to me, I'll install it. Unfortunately I don't have a working AuraHD anymore.

Does this mean that you can finally test the koreader's multi-touch behaviour yourself?
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Thanks for your work, Giorgio. As always much appreciated

But it seems the KoboRoot.tgz is empty? Nothing happens on my Glo after installing it.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
Thanks for your work, Giorgio. As always much appreciated

But it seems the KoboRoot.tgz is empty? Nothing happens on my Glo after installing it.
The function of the empty KoboRoot.tgz is to trigger the processing of the upgrade folder. Did you copy the upgrade folder to the .kobo folder?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Why would a factory restore not work to restore the original uImage? Is uImage written to the first unpartitioned part of the internal memory?
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
kevenv
Enthusiast
kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
I copied the files to .kobo and nothing happens on my glo. It did restart.
kevenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I installed the hack on my Glo, but it still doesn't recognize multi-touch.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The function of the empty KoboRoot.tgz is to trigger the processing of the upgrade folder. Did you copy the upgrade folder to the .kobo folder?
I did also copy the upgrade folder to the folder .kobo. After processing I rebooted one more time. But it seems not to be working on my Glo.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What a fail. The path to uImage was wrong, it was missing an intermediate folder. The attached file now should work correctly. Yes, you should put both the empty KoboRoot.tgz and the upgrade folder inside .kobo. @Markismus that's right, I can start working on multitouch support in Koreader independently now, that's what triggered me to work on this!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
giorgio130
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Why would a factory restore not work to restore the original uImage? Is uImage written to the first unpartitioned part of the internal memory?
Exactly. The restoring process use the same kernel to boot the system, and if the main partition can't start, the recovery won't start either.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
trekk
Terraner

@giorgio130
Sorry, still does not work on my Glo. I copied KoboRoot.tgz and the upgrade folder from the new zip file to .kobo and rebooted after processing.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
maybe the PCB is missing at the end of the filename?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
giorgio130
Time Waster

@tshering, that's right. Sorry to keep missing things. I'll update the thing tomorrow, after testing on AuraHD.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:47 PM   #14
giorgio130
Time Waster

Confirmed to be working on AuraHD, it installs fine now. I had to include the bootloader as well, I've taken the one included with firmware 3.1.1 unmodified. Future firmware updates could overwrite this mod, if this happens you'll have to reinstall it.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #15
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Works beautifully, thanks Giorgio!
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote