Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
bcollier
bcollier began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
New York Times Proposed Recipe Change

For those who occasionally buy the paid version of the New York Times on your Kindle, or who have dropped the paid version to use the Calibre version of the New York Times, I made a small modification to the New York Times recipe that I would love to have included in the official version.

Currently the Kindle keeps the most current version of a periodical on the home page and you cannot move it anywhere (archive to back issue, or to a collection). If you have been subscribing to the NYT for the Kindle it is called "The New York Times", but when you download the Calibre version it is called "New York Times." In the change I made, the Calibre version is called "The New York Times" and thus will push any old Kindle versions of the paper into the Back Issues collection so you don't have a month old copy of the NYT sitting on your home page.

This is set by a boolean much like the headlines version and the non-subscription version. The boolean is simply called "replaceKindleVersion" and it is at the top of the recipe.

The Kindle currently has the largest portion of the e-reader market (regardless of DRM issues, yeah, I know) and I think it is worth while to have a NYT version that is well integrated with the Kindle.

The updated code is attached. The updated code also includes my fix from earlier today in the postprocess_html method.

Thanks =)
Attached Files
File Type: zip nytimes_sub_proposed_changed.zip (7.7 KB, 190 views)
bcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not going to happen, that would mean that people that already use the recipe will have to manually delete the previously downloaded news from calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Your fixes to the NYT recipe are much appreciated. However, when the NYT puts up its paywall (next month, I hear) their online readers (including calibre users) will drop by 95% because most people won't pay for content, so I wouldn't spend a lot of time on the recipe. It will soon be obsolete.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
bcollier

Kovid,

Actually the way I have it in the code is just like how there are NYT Headlines, NYT Web Edition, and NYT Today's Paper. I just added one extra option: NYT Kindle Replacement. It all remains one body of code, and kindle users can just flip the boolean to have it named correctly for them. Otherwise this is going to get messy, because when find problems with the NYT I'd like to fix them, and I will be running a my own custom version to replace the Kindle version. I'm trying to avoid code forking (the enemy of all open source), and save a headache.

I'm posting another update in a new thread, the current NYT download was missing all the updates from "DealBook" from today's paper (Sorkin's writing, which is amazing). Today my updated recipe adds two articles missing from the paper.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well if it's an option I have no objections, but it will default to off
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
bcollier

thanks, I have no problem turning it off by default. thanks for the heads up Nick, I guess I'll cross the pay wall issue when I come to it. Hopefully it's not as bad as the $20 a month I was paying for the Kindle version.

IMHO there is a huge difference between having the news download be pretty good and having it be (prettymuch) perfect. I had the NYT subscription then found Calibre and thought it was wonderful, until I read the Calibre version for a couple weeks and was disappointed at missing articles, missing summaries, strange rogue characters, and days when whole sections were missing. Reading the newspaper should not be a time I have to troubleshoot things. Anyway I just decided I would stick with it, but do what I could to make the recipe perfect. For the kindle anyway, I think it is much better than it was a week ago.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
dwharrington
dwharrington began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Any way to just download Sunday Magazine?

Is there a way to adjust the calibre recipe so that it just downloads the Sunday Magazine? I tried deleting the other sections from the recipe but it still downloaded everything in the paper. (I actually pay for the paper.)

Last edited by dwharrington; 03-30-2011 at 10:04 AM.
dwharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
You will have to make a custom recipe from the built in recipe by setting web edition to true and using the include sections variable to get only the magazine.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
dwharrington
dwharrington began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
thanks

Thanks for instructions on how to configure that recipe. It works!
dwharrington is offline   Reply With Quote