Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #10141
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Lendl or Stich?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #10142
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Lendl or Stich?
No and no.

Maybe the correct answer is a little later, actually (sorry )
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #10143
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Andre Agassi?

I know nothing about tennis other than he is from around the same era as Becker. In other words, don't make too much fun of me if I'm way off.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #10144
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Andre Agassi?

I know nothing about tennis other than he is from around the same era as Becker. In other words, don't make too much fun of me if I'm way off.
Not only are you not way off, you are spot on. Nice one!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #10145
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
2. economically challenged countries?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #10146
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
2. economically challenged countries?
Are there any that aren't nowadays?

Not the answer I'm looking for. It's more geographical.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #10147
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
2. What do the following countries (and some others not mentioned) have in common; Uganda, Sao Tome and Principe, Gabon, Brazil and Somalia?
The equator passes through all of them.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #10148
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The equator passes through all of them.
It does!

I think that orlok got more points than anybody else, so, if he's not too busy playing Pacman, over to him.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #10149
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another set of "work it out" type questions:

1. Who is not, not, not a person that has not, not set foot on the moon?
a) Neil Armstrong
b) Your mum

2. I want a glimpse of the future. I live in Los Angeles, California, USA and it's Thursday night around 5pm. Calling which city gives me the furthest glimpse into what's happening on Friday?
a) Athens, Greece
b) London, England
c) Auckland, New Zealand
d) Tokyo, Japan

3. Assuming the smallest Foor is 5 sefens tall, is it possible that the average height of a group of 7 Foors is less than 10 sefens, if 5 of the Foors are at least 11 sefens tall?
a) No
b) Yes

4. If you took The Empire State Building and placed it on its side, approximately how long would it take the average human to walk from the first floor to the roof at an average walking speed?
a) 1 minute
b) 5 minutes
c) 30 minutes
d) 2 hours

5. Which word below would you not find in a dictionary?
a) Droogish
b) Furbelow
c) Snickersnee
d) Fartburglar
Old 11-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #10150
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
1. My head spun, but I think it's b), my mum.
2. c) Auckland - but I can't give you the lottery numbers.
3. b) Yes - it's c. 9.29 if the two smallest are 5 sefens each and the other five are 11.
4. b) (much easier without the stairs)
5. d) Fartburglar - who would want to? (I recognise b & c, and a looks familar)
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #10151
orlok
Close to the Edit!

What can I say - all correct and in record time! Over to you Shayne.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:35 AM   #10152
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
That's what comes of looking for displacement activity. Did you know there's a race each year up the Empire State Building - all 1,576 steps? This year's was won in 10 minutes, 28 seconds by Thomas Dold from Germany - his seventh win. A Kiwi athlete, Melissa Moon, won the woman's title for the second time, in 12 minutes and 39 seconds, 34 seconds faster than her time in 2010.

What's the link between these songs:
- David Bowie, "Jean Genie"
- The Platters, "The Great Pretender"
- Queen, "Radio Ga Ga"
- Mississippi John Hurt, "Coffee Blues"

Two parts to this quiz:
1. The feature that links the songs - 1 point
2. (After Part 1 has been found) The relevant detail for each song - 1 point per song

Last edited by Shayne Parkinson; 11-21-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #10153
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Ha! I have just this minute come from reading a page of facts on the UK chart history in the newspaper, and I know that Jean Genie was held off the number one spot by an ultimately less well remembered song. So is that the link, that they were all held off the number one slot and only reached number 2? I *think* that's true of Radio Ga Ga as well.

Jean Genie was stopped from reaching the number one spot by Blockbuster, by the Sweet.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #10154
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I don't know if you are Orlok, but either way that was a nice answer.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #10155
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I don't know if you are Orlok, but either way that was a nice answer.
The more I think about it, the more I think it's wrong. If this is related to the UK charts, I don't believe that Mississippi John Hurt ever got near the number 2 slot...