Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #61
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
I have been re-reading his books over the past few days - this thread prompted me. I had forgotten how often he moralised, lectured, and mounted his "green" soapbox throughout his novels. He was lecturing about conservation and pollution back in the sixties. They are still very entertaining books - proselytising included.
He also proselytized over loss of privacy in the early sixties. Trav would have had a really hard time of it now.

I don't recall finding the women so wimpy and annoying back in the days when the books were new. I don't think that the books are dated, however, so much as a time machine to an earlier era. Maybe the proselytizing is more interesting now.
BelleZora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #62
Stunatra
Enthusiast
Stunatra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
This is really good news. Over the last few years I have been looking for (and finding) some of MacDonald's other books. The McGee books may be the most popular but I don't think that they are anywhere near his best books. I now have about half of his other books. I'd be more than happy to buy the other half but not at $12. I wouldn't pay much more than $6. Better yet, I'll wait for them to appear at the library.
I wish they would epublish his non-McGee novels. I've been tempted to just buy the paperbacks on eBay but even on there they tend to be quite costly, or maybe I'm too cheap, and don't want to read actual books anymore. I've got the whole McGee series on my Kindle already.
Stunatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #63
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
A quick check on Overdrive shows that almost ALL his novels, not just the McGee books are available.

A quick check on Kobo shows that they are almost all $13. No a chance in hell that I will buy any at that price. I wouldn't pay more than half that. They're agency priced so I won't be buying them at all.

All the libraries I have access to have very little and only McGee at that.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #64
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
:sigh: Guess I'll just have to put up with my old paperback scans. And borrow what I don't have from the library when it's available, 'cuz those prices are frickin' insane! Honestly, these are *digital* files, not actual paper books that cost a heckuva lot more to produce & ship. You'd think by now they'd have figured that out but I guess that would be asking too much.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #65
Stunatra
Enthusiast

Quote:
A quick check on Overdrive shows that almost ALL his novels, not just the McGee books are available.

A quick check on Kobo shows that they are almost all $13. No a chance in hell that I will buy any at that price. I wouldn't pay more than half that. They're agency priced so I won't be buying them at all.

All the libraries I have access to have very little and only McGee at that.
REALLY? Well I looked and I couldn't find ANY of his novels there.

My local library (powered by Overdrive) only has the McGees.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunatra View Post
REALLY? Well I looked and I couldn't find ANY of his novels there.
There's something strange going on with your search. When I go to:

http://search.overdrive.com

and enter "John D. MacDonald" then I see all his non-McGee novels, too. What do you get back from that search?

The fact that your local library doesn't have them simply means that they haven't bought them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #67
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
OpenLibrary has five of his non-McGee books to borrow. Deadly Welcome, End of the Night, The Crossroad, The Deceivers and Soft Touch. Crossroad and Deadly Welcome show (as of this instant) as being available. The pdf files are readable. I just checked out Soft Touch. Unfortunately OpenLibrary does not allow early return.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #68
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
If there is anybody interested in moving to India for an hour, 17 of Travis McGee books are available on Google Play India for 4$ each.
Process of the moving would be same like moving to shop from Kobo.
https://play.google.com/store/books/...acdonald&hl=en

On Amazon India, on the other hand, there is Empty Trap, Clemmie, Weep for Me, The Damned, Judge me Not, All These Condemned for 2.67$
http://www.amazon.com/John-D.-MacDonald/e/B000AQ52CK

Last edited by jmilica; 07-22-2013 at 11:52 AM.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #69
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
If there is anybody interested in moving to India for an hour, 17 of Travis McGee books are available on Google Play India for 4$ each.
The books seems to be available from Sweden also in Google Play for 35SEK ($5.30) which is cheaper than Amazons $9.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #70
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Yes, Google Play seems to be doing some rather competitive pricing.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:54 AM   #71
Stunatra
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's something strange going on with your search. When I go to:

http://search.overdrive.com

and enter "John D. MacDonald" then I see all his non-McGee novels, too. What do you get back from that search?

The fact that your local library doesn't have them simply means that they haven't bought them.
Golly, I had to actually put the . in his name to get any results. I see a ton of his non-McGee's. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:55 AM   #72
Stunatra
Enthusiast

Quote:
OpenLibrary has five of his non-McGee books to borrow. Deadly Welcome, End of the Night, The Crossroad, The Deceivers and Soft Touch. Crossroad and Deadly Welcome show (as of this instant) as being available. The pdf files are readable. I just checked out Soft Touch. Unfortunately OpenLibrary does not allow early return.
I was sadly unaware of OpenLibrary. I'm a member now! Thanks!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #73
Stunatra
Enthusiast

I've tried to use that OpenLibrary but I can't figure out how to read the books on my kindle. They tell me I am only allowed to use the Adobe program? What good is that? I don't want to read the books on my computer...

Any insight would be great, thanks!
Old 08-01-2013, 04:49 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunatra View Post
I've tried to use that OpenLibrary but I can't figure out how to read the books on my kindle. They tell me I am only allowed to use the Adobe program? What good is that? I don't want to read the books on my computer...

Any insight would be great, thanks!
You can't. You need an ePub reader to read library books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #75
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Or, you need to remove the DRM and convert to Kindle format, which is what I do.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote