Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
? about using keywords in Sigil's metadata

I'm pretty much done with a novel in Sigil. But what about the keyword stuff in the metadata (I'm using 0.6.2). I've got the basics in there: date, description, subject, publisher, title, rights. But isn't the idea that search engines are perusing that metadata? I've heard search engines will overlook metadata that is way overdone, but shouldn't I be adding more than I have, and if I should, where should I be adding it? Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
I'm pretty much done with a novel in Sigil. But what about the keyword stuff in the metadata (I'm using 0.6.2). I've got the basics in there: date, description, subject, publisher, title, rights. But isn't the idea that search engines are perusing that metadata? I've heard search engines will overlook metadata that is way overdone, but shouldn't I be adding more than I have, and if I should, where should I be adding it? Thanks.
The metadata inside the ePub has nothing to do with search engines. It's the metadata in the web page that matters.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You can create multiple subject entries (tags) if you want. But as the Wolf says, it doesn't really have anything to do internet search engines. Most ebook stores don't even have the ability to allow you to search an ePub's subject tags.

Just know that most people who have large ebook libraries are often very picky about the tags they use in calibre and such. So if you include subject metadata, you'd probably be wise to keep it to very few and to keep them very general. The people that know about those subject tags are going to change them to their liking anyway. The people that don't know about them will never see them. *shrugs*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
There are *some* readers...well ok only one that I know of - Marvin - that allows a search on the Metadata within an epub. You can sort on series name and index at present, and I think Kris is planning on expanding that functionality.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
There are *some* readers...well ok only one that I know of - Marvin - that allows a search on the Metadata within an epub. You can sort on series name and index at present, and I think Kris is planning on expanding that functionality.
Actually, I think series name and index aren't standard epub metadata, but are inserted by calibre for library indexing purposes.

AFAIK, none of the distributors we use are able to pull metadata out of the ebook. We have to submit an excel file or ONIX file containing essentially the same information along with the book. That said, we still include a fairly complete set of metadata (e.g. author, contributors, subjects, source, description, etc.) in addition to the required fields. So it's there if anyone wants to look.

Quote:
"What's that goat doing up in the clouds?" ~ Pilot
Another Gary Larson fan, eh?
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Oh yeah....it's amazing how true to life he can be!!

You are correct, Series and Series_Index are calibre metadata. But they can be added by anyone. I'm not sure exactly how Kris got the Marvin App to be able to sort with the metadata, but it's pretty awesome. It seems like any app/reader should be able to scan the opf for metadata...they do it all the time for other functions... I guess they just don't feel the need.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The metadata inside the ePub has nothing to do with search engines. It's the metadata in the web page that matters.
Thanks JS.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You can create multiple subject entries (tags) if you want. But as the Wolf says, it doesn't really have anything to do internet search engines. Most ebook stores don't even have the ability to allow you to search an ePub's subject tags.

Just know that most people who have large ebook libraries are often very picky about the tags they use in calibre and such. So if you include subject metadata, you'd probably be wise to keep it to very few and to keep them very general. The people that know about those subject tags are going to change them to their liking anyway. The people that don't know about them will never see them. *shrugs*
Thanks Dealer, It's kind of like (rhetorical) why are they there then? lol
Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Thanks Turtle, You're starting to go over my head but that's okay. (lol) (It isn't hard to do!)