Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #34636
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
FWIW you can buy mechanical pencils with built-in lead hardness indicators. They are usually found in the drafting section of an arts and crafts store.
I haven't run across those in my searches for handy art tools. Mind you I do think we live in the dark ages in the Netherlands when it comes to handy items: things as artist bridges, caps for pencils or desktop drawingboards are very hard to get.

That said, my local art store is starting to focus more on their printing and framing section and shrinking their art supply section. On my next visit to Amsterdam I'm planning a visit to a big art store, hopefully they have more in stock than what is available on their website.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #34637
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
FWIW you can buy mechanical pencils with built-in lead hardness indicators. They are usually found in the drafting section of an arts and crafts store.
I've labelled tools before with nail polish. Either write out your initials with nail polish (bold!) or put two to three drops in different odd colors, so that it is unlikely others would have the same bottles of polish. The few drops routine can be quite small and unnoticable, yet will show ownership when you show where it is!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #34638
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
High five for that

Just saw this and for personal reasons wanted to add my 2¢ to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I just had what Oprah would call and "aha moment"
I would call it: Finished your correction of self-perception or, "digging out of the heap of shit other people's mindless tongues shovelled over you".
Having finished the same process when I was only 2 years younger than you are now (so it's not that long ago) I remember vividly what you mean.
Grats. I'm happy for you, because I know how you enjoy being who you are, instead of thinking you are the sum of believes a bunch of ignoranuses had about you.

Quote:
I now know I'm not stupid.
Certainly you are not.
As my school time experiences never reached that inferernal degrees you described I will not belittle yours by comparisons. Let's keep it at:

a) there were some so-called classmates I'd have loved to throat-cut, just to have my f* peace.
1st graders included.
b) my elementary school principal was my math teacher. While I am a math idiot... Wasn't fun.

Quote:
What I discovered today was that I never really had gotten over the "ugly" label. I never really looked at myself in the mirror until tonight. I walked in the utility room to go to my bedroom and looked into the mirror and my first thought was that I have a pretty face. I've always like my eyes, but I've been losing weight and today I noticed how much weight I lost in my face. I actually have nice cheekbones!

Sure, I'm still overweight but I'm not horribly ugly and unattractive as I've always thought I was.
On labelling:
The sad truth about most people "labelling" others as ugly is:
a) They don't develop real personal tastes but just parrot what mass-media tells them is "attractive"
b) They are absolutely ignorant about any piece of theoretical definition of what is aesthetic.

Because of the above it is not only nearly impossible to explain to them, that "attractive" doesn't mean "fit into a strictly defined pattern"
It's also impossible to make them understand that, even if using patterns, somebody else's pattern might and most likely will hugely differ from theirs.

As a result of this ignorance, their opinions about beauty are IMHO so wortless, that the air they used to vocalize them would be far better invested, had they farted instead.

(your interest about pictorial arts considered I'm not going to rant further about it. I assume your theoretical knowledge about the subject being deeper than mine)

On weight loss:
I believe and hope for you that you are safe of the false belief that loosing weight is ad infitum equal to raising attractiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
If that photo on your blog page is you, then it's safe to say you are definitely NOT horribly ugly, in fact, NOT ugly at all! Unattractive? Bullshit!
^This
(p.s. the smile on your newer photo is a very decorative improvement)

Quote:
I'd be coming after you like a freight train!
methinks young Stitch would win the race then, for my speeds 'd be rather of a handcar.

Quote:
I really only know you from what you write. But I've read you for the last 2-3 years and know you to be bright, witty, knowledgeable, self-reliant, and fun. And you sure ain't ugly. So put all those together and it make one very nice package! Certainly one that I'd be happy to call 'friend!'
^ and this.

With my best wishes.

Last edited by Freeshadow; 10-12-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: 1 word removed, because I was unsure if it might twist the sentence's meaning to contrary as intended.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #34639
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
P. S. Would like to have seen the face of your teacher
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #34640
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
OK - this was my morning:

1. I'm sound asleep when the alarm clock goes off.
2. I run into the bathroom and shut it off.
3. It's very cold - so I jump back into bed to wake up slowly.
4. Goldie cat sticks her cold wet nose into my ear and purrs like a freight train.
5. Stella cat jumps onto the bed, onto me, and paces up & down.
6. Sammie cat sits on the floor wailing as loudly as she can.

Does anyone else wake up like this?

Have I been invaded by aliens?

Why are they torturing me?

7. I got up, went into the kitchen, and fed them.
8. They promptly went to sleep.
9. I went to work.

Sigh ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #34641
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Sounds about right
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #34642
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
OK - this was my morning:

1. I'm sound asleep when the alarm clock goes off.
2. I run into the bathroom and shut it off.
3. It's very cold - so I jump back into bed to wake up slowly.
4. Goldie cat sticks her cold wet nose into my ear and purrs like a freight train.
5. Stella cat jumps onto the bed, onto me, and paces up & down.
6. Sammie cat sits on the floor wailing as loudly as she can.

Does anyone else wake up like this?

Have I been invaded by aliens?

Why are they torturing me?

7. I got up, went into the kitchen, and fed them.
8. They promptly went to sleep.
9. I went to work.

Sigh ....
Look at the bright side poohbear. If the cats didn't wake you up to feed them you might have fallen back asleep and been late for work.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #34643
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
Look at the bright side poohbear. If the cats didn't wake you up to feed them you might have fallen back asleep and been late for work.
Yeah ... nice & warm ... and asleep ... what was I thinking?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #34644
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
You have now learned that your cats are there to be obeyed - promptly.

They have never forgotten that they were once worshipped as gods; and quite rightly so.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #34645
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Playing around with my new mediaplayer (Eminent EM7285). I've discovered that I can copy files over the network to the USB stick that's plugged into the player. I thought it was only possible to copy files to the internal HDD of the player, since I haven't yet bought a HDD for it I though I had to go back and forth my my USB stick between player and computer. Copying is much easier, even if it isn't fast.

Two points of critique: when on the front lights up like a Christmas tree (I already knew that from reviews). The time played displayed is handy but the I don't know why there are several blinking dots. Luckily when it's off it's got a very dim red LED light which doesn't bother me at night. Second, it's a bit awkward that all the ports (USB and memory card) are on the back of the player. I have to pull it out to insert media in it (going to get a short USB extension cord today). There probably aren't any ports on the front as a design choice and not at the side because it might make the player wider but when you haven't got a HDD installed (yet) it's annoying to have to take the player off the shelf to find the right port to insert media into it.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #34646
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've just found that Trusteer Rapport has been the cause of my slow browser and overheating computer, since it was frequently causing the browser to take 100% of one of the CPU's cores, and sometimes even some of the other core.

While a good idea, it's not worth the hassle. Dumped.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #34647
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've just found that Trusteer Rapport has been the cause of my slow browser and overheating computer, since it was frequently causing the browser to take 100% of one of the CPU's cores, and sometimes even some of the other core.

While a good idea, it's not worth the hassle. Dumped.
I have Trusteer Rapport installed, and I do get slow browsing from time to time which I can't explain. Don't you need it for banking transactions, though? I can't remember which of my on-line banking providers required me to download it, but presumably it is required for that?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #34648
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Trying to decide what the second movie I'm going to watch is going to be. I'm going to watch The Raven but I'm very undecided on the second one. I haven't got a clue what I'm in the mood for; action, horror, drama. So I'm looking up description and reviews on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #34649
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Dogma
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #34650
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Dogma
Film suggestion?
It used to be one of my favourites in uni, me and some friends always watched it when we were in the UK for half the school year. It's been a while, so I think I'll find the dvd tomorrow and watch it soon.

Tonight I've decided on The Raven (not that good but entertaining) and I'm now watching Cabin in the Woods (promising).

Whilst surfing tonight I also saw that Ghostwatch is out on dvd, I've always wanted to see this program so I've ordered it, hopefully it'll arrive soon.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?