Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost101 View Post
1000 bucks for a phone? Way too expensive.

Edit: actually, at the current exchange rate, it is over $1100.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post

Wow! That's even more than I paid for my Xoom :-)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #18
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
These do look nice, very thin and light, I'm almost interested.
The Note - Why did they not use the S.AMOLED "PLUS" screen like the 7.7, and not sure on using an older version of Android, Hope it gets Icecream later.
Thing is, will it be big enough? - Will reading ebooks and websites my main usage for such a device be a good experience on 5.3"?

Then there is the 7.7 Despite using the standard large bezel (I soooo wish tech would evolve enough that we can dispense with such a large surround to overcome what is a software issue with palm recondition.) The actual screen size seems well suited to my needs. But no cool Digitizer - having a tab and not that cool note taking ability will not sit well, why they didn't include a version with that I don't know. Also they put a lame camera into the back 3MP when 8MP would have been better.

So I don't know which one I prefer, lol I even made two mockups out of cardboard to test out how the size feels.

No rush still more to come out, inc the Amazon one. One of these devices that can replace phone and ereader/tab is def on my post xmas list.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #19
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:

Yeah, but it'll probably be a penny on Amazon in a year for people who like contracts
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Yeah, but it'll probably be a penny on Amazon in a year for people who like contracts
Maybe, but I don't do contracts - they are a rip off. Samsung better revise these prices, I can't see this selling at this price. At $600 it has a good chance, but not at nearly twice as much.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #21
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I don't do contracts either. But I'm in the minority down here in yankee land. Our subsidies hugely distort the phone market, so I wouldn't write off a device based on off-contract price until the on-contract price makes itself known.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:49 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost101 View Post
Quote:

No. It'll probably be around $800 (US). Those euro prices are including VAT.

But I agree, waaaaaay too expensive... I thought my current phone at €200 was too expensive, 2 years ago... (but I rather liked it and it's the only phone so far, after my Nokia 5110 to stay alive for more than 2 years...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #23
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... a pocketable device with a good enough processor (dual core 1.4Ghz ARM) and
a respectable display resolution - now if it were able to run a more general purpose OS,
maybe Win8? Just a though.

Oh, I also have no problem reading ebooks on a 5" screen, and the mobile sites designed
for smaller phone displays should look much better at 5.3" than 7" or 10". In fact for us
older types being able to enlarge the mobile site's page, on a phone would not be a bad
thing.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-07-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:30 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Oh, I also have no problem reading ebooks on a 5" screen, and the mobile sites designed
for smaller phone displays should look much better at 5.3" than 7" or 10". In fact for us older types being able to enlarge the mobile site's page, on a phone would not be a bad thing.
I too rather like the 5" screen. It's what I've been looking for for a long time, but this price is just not it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #25
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I too rather like the 5" screen. It's what I've been looking for for a long time, but this price is just not it.
Well with the Galaxy S 2 selling for around to $750-800 without contract I expect this with a better specs will go for $900-1000.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #26
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
maybe Win8? Just a though.

Oh, I also have no problem reading ebooks on a 5" screen,

Luck;
Ken
dual-boot like there working on with that $99HP, now that would be great, Windows and Android on the same device.

With a 5" device I've noticed that people tend to hold it closer to their face's
so the size looks bigger, but with a 7.7" the option to have it propped up on a desk and still be able to see it is quite compelling.

I'm not sure which is best, take reading ebooks, is a smaller lighter device held closer, which will weigh heavy on your arm after a while, also due to the smaller screen, less text on each line, so reading speed will suffer. Or a larger device that can be propped up, rested on something and still be readable be better...
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #27
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
I'm not sure which is best, take reading ebooks, is a smaller lighter device held closer, which will weigh heavy on your arm after a while, also due to the smaller screen, less text on each line, so reading speed will suffer. Or a larger device that can be propped up, rested on something and still be readable be better...
There are reading apps like Moon+ that allow you scroll while you are reading so you don't have to break your reading. But even then turning a page does not really slow anyone down, it's just a tap on the screen.

I don't think you've ever held a Samaung Galaxy S phone but these phones are light, I've heard more people complain that they are too light--you can't please everyone I guess.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #28
transmitthis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
There are reading apps like Moon+ that allow you scroll while you are reading so you don't have to break your reading. But even then turning a page does not really slow anyone down, it's just a tap on the screen.

I was not referring to the page turns slowing you down, more of the length of a line of text. Your eyes/brain tend to scan an entire line and then process it as you glance down to the next line.

Well mine do anyway
and if the lines are re
ally small in length it
makes it really
difficult to get into the
flow of the text as you
can see by now I
imagine.

Thanks for that app name, will look into that one, I did try something like that once on an old lg phone, it kinda made the text flash a bit, but I imagine things have come along a bit since then.

I will be looking forward to some reviews of these Samsung's, they seem to be the best option so far. Apart from the price obviously
Old 09-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #29
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
OK; here are a few lines from my current read, on a 5" screen, at the 16 Font Size, in
portrait mode:

time for me to die. All she could see was Podrick, the noose
around his thin neck, his legs twitching. Her mouth opened.
Pod was kicking, choking, dying. Brienne sucked the air in
desperately, even as the rope was strangling her. Nothing
had ever hurt so much.

If you wanted to read it in landscape mode:

time for me to die. All she could see was Podrick, the noose around his thin neck,
his legs twitching. Her mouth opened. Pod was kicking, choking, dying. Brienne
sucked the air in desperately, even as the rope was strangling her. Nothing had
ever hurt so much.

(I didn't put the samples in quotes, so as not to effect the display.)

I normally read in Portrait mode and at the 16 Font size I have twenty lines per page.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #30
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: HTC Hero
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/g...y-note-review/

One of the first reviews for the Samsung Galaxy Note.
lost101 is offline   Reply With Quote