Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
LazyReaper
LazyReaper began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo Screen Frozen!

Please help, I don't know what to do. I was browsing my book library on my Kobo today when suddenly the eReader screen simply locked! (As in it now just displays the 'A' listed titles on screen). I've tried the power button, and all the other buttons, but nothing seems to work! (Yes, even the reset button on the back).

The only thing that's tells me that it's still alive is when I plug it into the computer. I can still browse the drive of the Kobo, however the screen of the Kobo NEVER changes from the book page. PLEASE HELP!
LazyReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
bandsaw
bandsaw began at the beginning.

I don't mean to oversimplify here, but when you connected to your computer, did you leave it connected for a few hours to recharge? It sounds like the battery is drained.
bandsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
LazyReaper

I called customer support, and aside from suggesting that I hit the reset button, or make sure that the drive was properly removed (which it was), they didn't have anything else to offer. So I returned it and got an exchange with another one (Luckily it was the last one left in the store!). I only had the first one for about 2 days before this problem, so I'm hoping that the same thing doesn't happen to this one either.

And nope, the battery wasn't drained. It was at about 80% when this happened. All I was doing was going through the books section when it froze under the 'A's.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Man... I would really be interested the see the numbers and statistics of returned/exchanged Kobo's
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
LazyReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Man... I would really be interested the see the numbers and statistics of returned/exchanged Kobo's
So would I. I'm hoping I'm only one of the few with this problem.
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Seems like quite a few "it just stopped working" posts, but what you have to keep in mind is:

1) People are more likely to post about problems then they are about things that are working.

2) You never really know all the details about the problem, and I think even for Kobo's helpdesk it is probably easier to get the user to return and hopefully not run into the same problem if it doesn't seem to be a user error. Then they can try and clear the problem hands-on rather then over the phone when your not really sure what is happening.

Personally my Kobo has done its job well. One thing I found was when I used the up and down arrows to change the font, at one point it seemed like my device had frozen but after I let it sit for 5 min it was able to process my extra button presses.

I think your natural reaction when it doesn't change the screen is going to be to repress the button, but I find sometimes its just processing your request and by pressing a new button you have just confused it even more by adding to the list of items to process.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post
...at one point it seemed like my device had frozen but after I let it sit for 5 min it was able to process my extra button presses.
That's a long time, yo!
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Zac
Zac began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyReaper View Post
So would I. I'm hoping I'm only one of the few with this problem.
Bandsaw above asked if you were sure that your Kobo was fully charged? Could it have frozen because it was out of juice? Once you plug it in using the USB cable you would be able to navigate around the Kobo.
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
That's a long time, yo!
Yeah it would have sucked if I was trying to read at the time, but I was just playing around with loading some books so I let it sit for a while (I didn't time it) and when it was ready again I continued playing around.

Basically I had it going up 2 font sizes and then back down, and then try to open the display menu, and all of this on a ePub with the font-sizing problem which might be related as well.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I believe my charge ran out yesterday resulting in a screen freeze. After plugging in and charging everything was back to normal.
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

This sounds almost identical to the problem I posted about in another thread. (Sorry I didn't spot this one before starting my thread.)

Like the original poster, my problem has nothing to do with the battery not being charged.

It looks like a number of people have had a similar problem, and that our readers are defective. Unfortunately, since the problem emerged on mine more than 30 days after delivery, I may not be able to exchange it -- I'm not sure. Ideally, I'd like to just get a refund, since the amount of maintenance involved with using this reader negates the affordability, and the customer support has been unsatisfactory, to say the least. But I suppose there's a fat chance of getting a simple refund.

I ordered online from Indigo, but I'm assuming I can return it to a bricks & mortar Indigo. Sadly, no one in Toronto has the readers in stock, so if I need to exchange I have to wait for the item to ship. This is one of the most aggravating pieces of technology I've ever owned.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mememememe View Post
Unfortunately, since the problem emerged on mine more than 30 days after delivery, I may not be able to exchange it -- I'm not sure.
The Kobo comes with a 1 year warranty, you most definitely should be able to return a defective unit and receive a replacement.
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceless View Post
The Kobo comes with a 1 year warranty, you most definitely should be able to return a defective unit and receive a replacement.
I'll have to find the warrantee. The Kobo Ereader site FAQ says that if you bring it back during the return period (which is 30 days) they'll replace it, but after that, as long as it's under warrantee, they'll repair it. Perhaps "repair" also means "replace if necessary," but I have a feeling it's going to be a hassle and a half at this point.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mememememe View Post
I'll have to find the warrantee. The Kobo Ereader site FAQ says that if you bring it back during the return period (which is 30 days) they'll replace it, but after that, as long as it's under warrantee, they'll repair it. Perhaps "repair" also means "replace if necessary," but I have a feeling it's going to be a hassle and a half at this point.
They may decide to repair, but I kind of doubt it, at just over 30 days after purchase. Give it a shot! Either way, you'll get a working reader.
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Has it really been 30 days? If I am not mistaken the reader was only launched at the beginning of May. There are still a couple days until June.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote