Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
What's your favourite Wilbur Smith book?

I've read books from Wilbur Smith on and off all since my youth. The one that sticks in my memory is "Eagle in the sky". This was my first book from him and I've kept reading others as well but this is the one that sticks. Which one is your favourite?
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
The Egyptian ones

I'm a sucker for anything to do with ancient Egypt so I would have to say
1. River God
2. Seventh Scroll
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
MargaretLake
Enthusiast
MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
I'm a sucker for anything to do with ancient Egypt so I would have to say
1. River God
2. Seventh Scroll
Mine, too. I read The Seventh Scroll first and figured I knew everything about River God, so I didn't read it for a few years. I'm so glad I changed my mind and read it.
MargaretLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
MargaretLake
Enthusiast
MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MargaretLake writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Also like Blue Horizons.

The first of his I read are

Men of Men
Flight of the Falcons
The Angels Weep

I think that's the Ballantyne series.
MargaretLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Sunbird
Dark of the Sun

And none of the others.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 03:49 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Egyptian ones are my favourites, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Hungry as the Sea
Shout at the Devil
for light entertainment or
Birds of Prey and Monsoon for a good read
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
My favourite is the first one in The Courtneys of Africa trilogy: The Burning Shore.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
redhead231
Enthusiast
redhead231 doesn't litterredhead231 doesn't litter

Device: PRS 505
River God without a doubt, my favourite followed by Seventh Scroll
redhead231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I've only read the Taita series(River God, Warlock, Seventh Scroll and The Quest). Loved the first three but found the fourth a bit ho hum.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
The Egyptian ones I enjoyed very much . Also the ones set in early South Africa
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #12
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
It has been a long time since I read anything by Wilbur Smith so when I got an offer on "Those in Peril" I jumped at it and I thoroughly regret doing so. This is just one hackneyed, horribly didactic mess that left me happy that I didn't contribute to the killing of any innocent trees. They would've had a strong case for retribution.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I liked Assegai overall. Although to me his novels seem hit or miss.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
aquabel
Book Lover
aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I've only read one, Eye of the Tiger, and I enjoyed it. I have the Eqyptian series, and after the comments here, I must get to reading it soon.
aquabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I've read pretty much all his books and while I liked the Egyptian series a lot, Sunbird is definitely my favourite. There's plenty Egyptian stuff out there (although not so many novels), but Phoenicians are thin on the ground and I found the theory, or thought experiment, of a Phoenician colony on the African coast somewhere both intriguing and entirely plausible.

I find his "modern" books quite enjoyable too, but being an ancient history buff...
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wilbur smith