Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
KevCal
Nameless Being

Kindle Navigation: device differences

Hi have a 166MB file (reflowable, all art), created w/Kindle Previewer (latest version, 2.51)

Spine lists xhtml docs in order of play; this matches ncx

Guide lists Start document, which matches first doc in spine.

On Fire and Mac app, mobi opens correctly
On iPad and on Touch, it opens to 4th xhtml in spine, not even mentioned in Guide
On K3 (updated), it opens to middle of 3rd document in spine: Table of contents, which is listed as such in Guide

Does anyone know why this is happening? Does the file size make the document go crazy? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Did you enter a Guide entry to define where to open the book on first open?

Code:
<guide>
 <reference type="text" title="Beginning" href="Text/front-matter.html" />
</guide>
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
KevCal
Nameless Being

Beginning

instead of

Start

in the Guide? I use Start, always works. But, I"ll try Beginning instead and see what happens.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

There are differences in what Amazon requires or prefers and what ePub uses, so you need to get their guide and read through it.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-18-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
KevCal
Nameless Being

i have their guide, and it doesn't give actual language. Here's what they say:

<<The Kindle platform supports guide items for defining the cover, the table of contents (TOC), and the start reading location (”Go to Beginning”).
Amazon does not recommend adding additional guide items to the OPF file, because they will be grayed out in the menu options and may cause customer confusion.
IMPORTANT: Guide items, especially the TOC guide item, do not replace the table of contents.>>
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevCal View Post
i have their guide, and it doesn't give actual language. Here's what they say:

<<The Kindle platform supports guide items for defining the cover, the table of contents (TOC), and the start reading location (”Go to Beginning”).
Amazon does not recommend adding additional guide items to the OPF file, because they will be grayed out in the menu options and may cause customer confusion.
IMPORTANT: Guide items, especially the TOC guide item, do not replace the table of contents.>>
Yeah I just searched it too and couldn't find it there. I found that somewhere on the internet doing a search I guess. At any rate, it works consistently across all the devices and apps I have at my disposal on which to test.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
KevCal
Nameless Being

'start' has always worked for me; i tried Beginning, but no luck; still same problem.

Tags
kindle guide, kindle navigation, kindle start location