Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
nremi
nremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
[Android App] Eternal CC sync wait with large files.

I'm staring at a "Syncing with calibre" [sic] dialog box that lacks a 'cancel' button as CC 2.1 is sending a very large PDF [100MB] that it discovered locally to Calibre... and failing, and repeating this process when it fails to get beyond about five percent of the file. Just now, many minutes later, it has finished up its three item process, but I wish I could have canceled the operation, without killing CC altogether, several minutes ago.

So, in addition to my previous request about auto-deleting News feeds (which is vexing to do manually), I'd like to add this, a mid-process "Cancel Sync" option. Other than these things, I'm finding everything great, and I offer appreciation for the help and improvements that you've given. Thanks.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. As I was resending the file through Calibre to the device [after I'd messed with the metadata in Calibre and deleted the file on my device, so that it would redo everything], I found that it took much longer than expected (again, something like five minutes for 100MB) What might cause such slow throughputs for this, and how might this be improved? It was only the one file that was being transferred, so it is not clear to me why it wouldn't be completed in less than a minute.

Last edited by nremi; 09-16-2012 at 03:46 PM.
nremi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@nremi: Can't help you on the CC front, but if you're able to run Calibre from source, here's a simple dirty patch that'll prevent Calibre from autosending news feeds to the smart_device_app driver (ie. CC).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
nremi
nremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheesenremi can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Thanks for the patch, NiLuJe. Ideally, I'd still like to have the most recent compilations on my tablet, but I will apply this patch if nothing fruitful develops in CC.
nremi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@nremi: Oh, yeah, that's slightly different from my setup (my main reading device being a Kindle, I get mobi feeds that I couldn't even read on my tablet, even if I wanted to), so, yeah, that's not optimal .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@nremi: 3 mbit/sec actual throughput isn't bad over WiFi to a phone.

There are several reasons that wifi throughput doesn't live up to the max numbers that are advertized, such as 54mbit/set one sees for WiFi G. First, WiFi is half duplex, which means that only one device on the entire network (and your neighbors' networks) can transmit at a time. TCP/IP requires positive acknowledgement of data, so the receiving machine can only receive so much before it must respond, stopping transmission. Second, any other WiFi router in the same area that is using a similar channel will cause retransmissions or delay of packets (the neighbor-on-the-same-channel problem). Cabled connections are much faster because they are both point to point and full duplex, meaning that there is no adjacent machine interference and both computers can talk at the same time. For example, a speed test for my laptop connected over wifi G (54 mbit/sec) gets 8 mbit/second throughput. The same test on the same machine using a 100mbit/sec cable connection to the same router runs at 53 mbit/second.

When uploading or downloading books, both calibre and CC stuff bytes at the network as fast as the network will take them. In your case, all 100 mBytes will be sent in one go. We have no control over how fast the networking layers run (speed of the CPU and networking hardware), how the networking layers split up the data, how often the two operating systems choose to stop the transfer to acknowledge what has already been sent, or how fast the device can write the data to the "SD card".

There is one thing we can do to our protocol that might speed things up by around 20%. The problem is that the change totally breaks the protocol, eliminating the ability to embed control information into the data stream. I haven't been eager either to take the risk that things will break or to find a different way to pass the control information. I will eventually take on this task, once we have reduced the "feature queue" to a manageable level.

Regarding news feeds: calibre sends news to devices but does not delete news feeds from devices. This is out of CC's control. However, CC does give you some help for deleting them. Group by tags, choose News, then sort the list by date. Granted you must delete them one at a time, but at least they are all in front of you in the right order.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I figured out how to deal with changing the protocol and it helps more than I expected. I have a 28MByte PDF that before the change took 51 seconds to send. After the change it takes 32 seconds, for a somewhat better than 40% improvement instead of the 20% I predicted.

These changes should be available once new versions of both CC and calibre are released.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremi View Post
I'm staring at a "Syncing with calibre" [sic]
Hehe, the official spelling of the desktop program is actually lower case, so "calibre" is correct

Quote:
dialog box that lacks a 'cancel' button as CC 2.1 is sending a very large PDF [100MB] that it discovered locally to Calibre...
Cancelling device operations isn't supported by calibre either right now. For example, even if you had a phone plugged in by USB, you couldn't cancel a book transfer halfway through. The slower transfer process compared to a cable is just a fact of life though, as explained in chaley's post.

Once the file is successfully sent once, it shouldn't require resending every connection though. Are you seeing that happening multiple times, or just the once?

One thing we might do is to add a file size limit to the auto discovery feature... However, before we do that, we'll have to solve our current 'death by 1000 menu screens' problem
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote