Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Kindle for Android - Adding Books

I wasn't sure if this question should be posted here or in the Kindle section, so hopefully this is the right area.

I have a new Vizio tablet and have downloaded Kindle for Android. Obviously the app can access the Amazon bookstore and download any Kindle books I've purchased, but how can I import other books (such as Gutenberg or multi-format from Fictionwise) titles into the Kindle for Android app? I would assume I need to connect my tablet to my computer via USB and transfer books to a specific directory, but I'm not sure which directory I need to use. Also, can I download books over wi-fi rather than hooking up the USB cable?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
I use the kindle app on my android phone (Samsung Galaxy S). This phone does not easily hook up to my computer with the USB cable. The simplest solution for me to load non-Amazon books is to copy them onto the external SD card, insert the card into my phone, and then copy&paste them into the kindle folder on the internal memory. The books I have done all have a .prc extension.

Hope this helps,
Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Like Duane said, just stick compatible files in the Kindle folder (mine are mobi) and it will see them. Don't forget there are other readers out there for android. I like Cool Reader and Aldiko. They give you a lot more options with fonts, colors, etc.

Enjoy your new tablet. 8 inches sounds like a great size for reading.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
An easy way to transfer things is with Dropbox. I have my whole books collection in a dropbox file and just download as needed. After downloading, it just needs to be moved from the dropbox folder to the Kindle folder. Also Dropbox is accessable for all your devices you have Dropbox on. So far it's on my computer, NookColor, phone, and Galaxy Tab. I use it to transfer almost eveything except large folders or things like movies. Then it's faster to hook it up by USB - not worth the download time.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
TCSimpson
Fantasy Author
TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus Tablet
If your kindle app doesn't see the files you transferred, you may need to power off your device and power it back on. I had to do this with my Xoom.
TCSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
An easy way to transfer things is with Dropbox. I have my whole books collection in a dropbox file and just download as needed. After downloading, it just needs to be moved from the dropbox folder to the Kindle folder. Also Dropbox is accessable for all your devices you have Dropbox on. So far it's on my computer, NookColor, phone, and Galaxy Tab. I use it to transfer almost eveything except large folders or things like movies. Then it's faster to hook it up by USB - not worth the download time.
^This! Dropbox and eBooks go together like peanut butter and dill pickles on bread (trust me, it's good!).

Add in a copy of Calibre that has been reconfigured to have its library stored in the Dropbox folder and you have achieved e-reading perfection.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
Dropbox and eBooks go together like peanut butter and dill pickles on bread (trust me, it's good!).
Ewwww!

I was reading (well actually having FBReader read to me as I walked the dog) via Dropbox, but occasionally when I lost internet in the course of the walk I'd lose the TTS, and the book, so if it's something I want to use TTS on, I make sure the file is stored physically on the phone's SD card, and not in the Dropbox 'cloud'.

CoolReader also seems to be able to do TTS too but it sure hiccups a lot! I've requested to Amazon TTS for the Kindle app, but alas, it hasn't happened yet.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Dropbox is convenient, but I haven't found a way to use it on my K3. Is there a way to use Dropbox without actually loading the software on the Kindle? I can access box.net (another cloud provider) on my Kindle, but Dropbox seems to require its software, which presumably is not compatible with Kindle. Or am I missing something here?

Thanks.
SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Dropbox is convenient, but I haven't found a way to use it on my K3. Is there a way to use Dropbox without actually loading the software on the Kindle? I can access box.net (another cloud provider) on my Kindle, but Dropbox seems to require its software, which presumably is not compatible with Kindle. Or am I missing something here?

Thanks.
SteveK
I just go to Dropbox.com using the Kindle 3's browser and login (top right of page), then navigate to the book I want (navigation can be a pain).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I put my MODI formated ebooks on the SD card put card in tablet tried teansfer NOTHING! UGH Yes I have Kindle for Android install. I have 322 books in my Calibre account I Cant get on my tablet....HELP!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 11-14-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I put my MODI formated ebooks on the SD card put card in tablet tried teansfer NOTHING! UGH Yes I have Kindle for Android install. I have 322 books in my Calibre account I Cant get on my tablet....HELP!
Do you have a file manager app on your tablet? If not, see The Best File Management App for Android for some options. One of these apps can be used to transfer the MOBI ebooks from your SD card to the Kindle ebook folder. Also, with most Android tablets you can access the SD card while it is in the device when the tablet is connected via USB to your computer (no need to swap cards between PC and tablet).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My tablet wont show on my pc ... something they took off on the lasest update...sigh I try your other idea!

O No I dont hack! Not that Techy! Anything you can suggest thats simple?

Its the transfering it into the Amazon file I stuck at.... Clikc copy then I click on Amazon file BUT instead it goes to the bottom of the list when I hit Paste!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 11-15-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Could it be possible the Kindle app has been changed to block non-Amazon books?

I've had no problem in the past but I just copied two *.mobi books to the Kindle folder and they don't show up in the reader.

I've powered down as suggested above but it didn't help.

Any ideas?
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I cant answer that BUT I hpe some one can soon...this is driving me nuts! BTW I can put them on my Kindle3WiFi... I just like to also read them on the tablet.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I sent them an email & heres the answer I just got.....

Hello,

I'm sorry for the trouble you had with your Kindle for Android.

At this time, Kindle active contents(Games) and personal documents are not supported in Kindle for Android. These features are available only in Kindle device. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.We're regularly working on improvements to your Kindle experience. I've let the Kindle team know you're interested in this feature.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us. The Kindle Team will carefully review your comments.

SO THATS A NO..... Even to GAMES purchsed thru Amazon! WOW How disapointing!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 11-16-2011 at 06:55 AM.