Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Bookeen announces new multitouch e-reader

The Bookeen Orizon will arrive in may, and will have a 6" SiPix screen with multi-touch support. It has a four-way directional pad as the only hard controls. It's only 0.5 cm thick and will have Wifi and Bluetooth connectivity.
It will have 1GB of built in storage, but that can be expanded with a MicroSD-card.

Cost: 250 $

(available in May in UK and US)
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
The Bookeen Orizon will arrive in may, and will have a 6" SiPix screen with multi-touch support. It has a four-way directional pad as the only hard controls. It's only 0.5 cm thick and will have Wifi and Bluetooth connectivity.
It will have 1GB of built in storage, but that can be expanded with a MicroSD-card.

wow its a great news
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I think I'm being a bit dense right now, but what exactly is the benefit of multi-touch on an EPD, other than marketability?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post

That's not new. It was announced back at CES.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I think I'm being a bit dense right now, but what exactly is the benefit of multi-touch on an EPD, other than marketability?

well i suppose you could use the pinch /zoom for changing font size or for zooming for pdfs?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
I'm more excited about this aspect: multi-touch = capacitive touch screen and hopefully it's implemented in a way less text-blurring than Sony's resistive touch readers. PVI, the owners of e-ink are planning to incorporate touch technology directly into their screens, but it looks like they snoozed and sipix got there first.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
It's fairly trivial to implement these days, and gives you flexibility in the UI.

Also, yea, SiPix screens would appear to be that much cheaper.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
well i suppose you could use the pinch /zoom for changing font size or for zooming for pdfs?
On an EPD? That sounds like torture. Guess I'll have to wait to see it in action...perhaps they are doing something interesting with it to make it usable.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
To be fair, we don't actually know how capable SiPix screens are for partial-screen refreshes...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's not new. It was announced back at CES.
Yep... agreed. But, did they say it would be SiPix back then? If they didn't that is news... or I just forgot.

I really think $250 is too much for this. But, it does look like a cool device... if only I could look at it in the store to compare the screen to a Sony reader and a Kindle and a Nook.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Must everything plastic come in white? I got rid of my Kindle because I was tired of the drab look. Yes, I know skins are available.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Must everything plastic come in white? I got rid of my Kindle because I was tired of the drab look. Yes, I know skins are available.
My Kindle is not a fashion accessory... I mostly look at the screen... I wish the screen was a bit whiter actually.

BOb
Old 02-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
My Kindle is not a fashion accessory.
Who said anything about an ebook reader (or any other electronic device) being a fashion accessory. It seems like every new ebook reader is trying to be Kindle-like in some fashion (pun intended), particularly in color. I don't believe I'm in the minority in preferring a non-white device, whether it be a laptop, cell phone, or mp3 player.

I hope you weren't implying that because I'm female I must want to accessorize with "girly" colors. On the contrary, black and silver are my preferred colors for electronics.

Last edited by SCION; 02-17-2010 at 11:59 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Who said anything about an ebook reader (or any other electronic device) being a fashion accessory. It seems like every new ebook reader is trying to be Kindle-like in some fashion (pun intended), particularly in color. I don't believe I'm in the minority in preferring a non-white device, whether it be a laptop, cell phone, or mp3 player.

I hope you weren't implying that because I'm female I must want to accessorize with "girly" colors. On the contrary, black and silver are my preferred colors for electronics.
I wasn't implying anything... you said:

Quote:
I got rid of my Kindle because I was tired of the drab look.
I took that to mean (inferred) you had a problem with the way the device looked.

Is that not what you meant?

BOb
Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #15
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I prefer darker colors just because it hides finger smudge.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote