Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #76
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well, I think it is a new genre, or perhaps a sub-genre.

One of the things that irks me about Categories over at Fictionwise -- and I feel Fictionwise is an excellent company - is their use of the category Dark Fantasy to convey exactly what you describe in your post.

When I think Dark Fantasy, I think on the lines of Karl Edward Waggoner's work which I thoroughly enjoy.

I think Dark Fantasy is writing that has a dark texture to the writing regarding subject matter. I certanly do NOT think of Romance when I'm looking for Dark Fantasy reading material. I rarely now even look at the new releases from Fictionwise from within that category.

Don
sorry, slightly off-topic, but since you brought it up... i have to agree with you about fictionwise's categories, and it irks me as well. they seem to really concentrate on their romance selection and stick it in all kinds of categories. they claim you can personalise your email updates and such by selecting from a list the genres you are interested in "never" "sometimes" or "always". but i've selected mystery "always" and romance / erotica / fantasy / dark fantasy "never" and yet that's all they send me. ever. even the occasional so-called "mystery" turns out to be a "romantic mystery" or "mysterious romance" or whatever they call them. it's hard to put certain works in categories, i understand that (i have a hard time with it myself) but surely someone has set down some guidelines somewhere ??? sheesh.

we now return you to your normally scheduled thread.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #77
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
What's up with this vampire-stories-for-the-ladies-with-half-naked-males-in-the-cover genre? I just got aware of this now! And it seems really a whole genre! :O
Supernatural Romance, it's whole big thing. Robin McKinley's Sunshine falls into that category. Though it's more Urban Fantasy than Romance, and actually quite good
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #78
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
they claim you can personalise your email updates and such by selecting from a list the genres you are interested in "never" "sometimes" or "always". but i've selected mystery "always" and romance / erotica / fantasy / dark fantasy "never" and yet that's all they send me. ever. even the occasional so-called "mystery" turns out to be a "romantic mystery" or "mysterious romance" or whatever they call them.
Yes, I have this problem too. I can see that many books belong in multiple categories, but when I say "never," I mean I'm really not interested in hearing about books in the "romance" category, even if they are also "science fiction" or whatever I've checked.

I'd vastly prefer a system that would notify me of new books based on similarities to my Librarything inventory, or something like that.

Hm... that could be a feature for JAM or whatever it's being called these days.... (runs off to other thread to post)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #79
kreacher
kreacher began at the beginning.

Device: none
anyone who has news on when's Midnight Sun ever going to be finished?
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!