Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #211
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I've always meant to ask someone this: How do you know you're not a new fart? How exactly does a connoisseur determine the age?
The "old" term kicks in and shows up when you climb into or out of the truck or the craft or sit down or raise up from the sitting position. Then your knees tell you how old you are. If you don't even think about your knees, you are a youngster.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #212
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The moment for me entering Old Fartdom was when I complained about my children's taste in music (rap) and I realized that i sounded like my mother when she complained about Beatles and Stones.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #213
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
I'm still using (and loving!) my original Nook Classic, but I will upgrade to one of these when it's time. I have burned through about six book lamps in less than two years, and I'm tired of replacing them. They also don't offer the best at night reading experience, but it's something I put up with.
The Nookcolor is fine for reading at night, but honestly, I think I've come to the point where I want my tablet experience and my book reading experience separate.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #214
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
When people who look the way you think you look start calling you "Sir," you're old.

When you start thinking that today's pop music is all crap, you're an old fart.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:11 AM   #215
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
One relative of mine dropped her NG on a bricked floor. It split apart.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #216
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I've always meant to ask someone this: How do you know you're not a new fart? How exactly does a connoisseur determine the age?
When you notice a cop and wonder why he isn't still in school then your officially an old fart
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #217
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
When you notice a cop and wonder why he isn't still in school then your officially an old fart
Or when you know who Ed Sullivan and Walter Cronkite was.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #218
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The problem with determining people's age by cultural refs is that we live in an archival era. I have friends in their 20s who quote Lee Van Cleef and Sydney Greenstreet. I myself moon over the likes of Myrna Loy and Edwige Fenech, and quote Preston Sturges ca. the 40s and S.J. Perelman interviews from the the 60s.

It's actually more telling to notice the cultural refs someone misses than the ones they know -- particularly in terms of music and fashion. But even then, you've got stubble-chinned tykes whose first duty in life is to be as artificial as possible. (What the second duty is, I leave to your hoary librarian to divulge.)

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-25-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #219
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
What CU doesn't take into consideration though is the ecosystem. Yeah, the Nook Glow is pretty cool, but B&N has wretched customer service. The Kindles aren't quite as nice, but they don't have sequestered memory, and Amazon CS is amazing.
I really don't get the hatred for the Nook because they pre-allocate part of the memory specifically for books sold by B&N. The Nooks all have SD card slots that can expand the memory up to 32 GB. Microcenter sells 8GB cards for $5, and 16GB cards for $11. None of the eInk Kindles (except for the no-longer-available K1) allow you to store more than 4GB on them, period.

I haven't had to use B&N customer service in over a year, but when I did, I never had problems with them.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #220
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I really don't get the hatred for the Nook because they pre-allocate part of the memory specifically for books sold by B&N. The Nooks all have SD card slots that can expand the memory up to 32 GB. Microcenter sells 8GB cards for $5, and 16GB cards for $11. None of the eInk Kindles (except for the no-longer-available K1) allow you to store more than 4GB on them, period.

I haven't had to use B&N customer service in over a year, but when I did, I never had problems with them.
I don't know about the Nook, but my PRS-505's battery life would be cut in half when I'd use the SD card. I've actually just decided to put some things on my MicroSD yesterday on my T1 to see if it cuts down on the time between my battery charges. Also, I believe that the pre-allocated memory on the Nook for side-loaded books is quite small - 250 mb or so. I may be wrong. For people who side load and like to keep a lot of books on their device that really is a small partition. Perhaps 500mb - 1gig would be acceptable.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #221
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post

I don't have a hatred for the Nooks - they look like nice little devices - but I really object to that kind of memory sequestering. It's like I'm paying for something that then they're telling me I can only use the way they want me to use it. I'm allergic to walled gardens, and that's more walled than most.

and sure, $11 or so for an SD card isn't that much - but it's one more thing to buy (and lose) - and they make such a big issue about not having extra costs, like the Kindle does.

I've only had to use B&N customer service once, and it was so abysmal that i swore never again.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 05-26-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: an afterthought
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #222
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Also, I believe that the pre-allocated memory on the Nook for side-loaded books is quite small - 250 mb or so. I may be wrong. For people who side load and like to keep a lot of books on their device that really is a small partition. Perhaps 500mb - 1gig would be acceptable.
On the Nook Simple Touch it's 250 MB, out of 2 GB total. Does anybody know how big the actual OS is (so we can work back to see how much B&N reserves for its content)?

The Nook Tablet/Color have larger partitions (1-2 GB IIRC).
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #223
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
larger meaning more space for side-loaded content, or more space for B&N only content?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #224
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
On the Nook Simple Touch it's 250 MB, out of 2 GB total. Does anybody know how big the actual OS is (so we can work back to see how much B&N reserves for its content)?

Quote from the NST specs page:
"•2GB Holds up to 1,000 books (1GB for content; 750 MB reserved for B&N content".
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #225
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
larger meaning more space for side-loaded content, or more space for B&N only content?
Well, both - they have 8GB/16GB total, and then have 1GB of sideloaded content available (and you can have it changed at the store now to increase the sideloaded amount).
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote