Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Lorphos
Librie lab rat
Lorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with others

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Question Separating K4NT from Amazon's services

Hi,

I have a K4NT that I have never connected to Amazon. I'd like to use WLAN to push books to it using my own server instead of using Amazon's server. I also don't want to send usage logs to Amazon. I don't plan on buying ebooks from Amazon (for now).
1. What do I have to change on the kindle to make it connect to my servers instead of Amazon's when I enable WLAN?
2. What services to I need to provide on my server to emulate Amazon's?
Can I use some of the stuff that is available for the Kindle 3? One thing I can't do with the Kindle at the moment is use categories. It seems they are only available after you have allowed the Kindle to connect to Amazon. I'd like to define my own categories on the kindle or on the server.

Last edited by Lorphos; 01-09-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Lorphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Tronex
Tronex began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Own Webserver

I actually don't know how to achieve what you are looking for.

However, I know that there is a tutorial available that describes how to run an a webserver that provides images for the screensaver feature of the K4NT by pretending to be the amazon adserver.

It does so based on a local DNS tool that redirects calls to a known address (of the amazon adserver) to a local url hosted by a tool written by the author of the tutorial.

That's all I remember, sorry. You'll have to search for yourself. However, it might contain hints about ways that help you in creating a solution to your problem.

Good Luck,
Tronex.
Tronex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Lorphos
Librie lab rat
Lorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with others

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
I guess the best way to start is to connect the Kindle to a WLAN without access to the internet and see what requests it fires off. Then, insert custom SSL certificates into the Kindle to enable the impersonation of amazon's servers.

Last edited by Lorphos; 01-11-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Lorphos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, privacy