Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #391
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
thanks, i'll try it out. i'm rather annoyed that some apps for the android need improvement it's like they just developed it for the sake of having an android version of their app
By the way, I tried the root and unroot path myself last night, and I have some info for you, and anyone else thinking of it for similar reasons:

1. If all goes as planned, the rooting process is quick and easy.
It didn't go as planned for me, and according the hour I spent reading the xda forum, that's not unusual. Be prepared to mess with drivers and other Windows glitches, and be prepared to do some some web surfing for troubleshooting tips.

2. I installed the Google framework and Play app, and found that a huge number of apps are either listed as incompatible with the Fire and cannot be downloaded, or do not show up at all. Getting around that would have required more tweaking than I was prepared to do.

3. It looks like in-app purchasing still tried to use the Amazon store a lot of the time, and between that and the Play store's dearth of Fire compatible apps, having Play proved to be of virtually no benefit to me.
There are plenty of other markets and sources for apks, so I uninstalled the Google apps.

So now I'm debating if I'm even going to keep the (switchable) rooting in place in case I do ever have need for it, or just revert everything fully back to stock.

If you are willing to give up the Amazon UI, Amazon video, and some of the tighter integration, you, can, of course, replace the whole system with a different rom, like GedeROM, and have full use of all the Google stuff.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #392
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
By the way, I tried the root and unroot path myself last night, and I have some info for you, and anyone else thinking of it for similar reasons:

1. If all goes as planned, the rooting process is quick and easy.
It didn't go as planned for me, and according the hour I spent reading the xda forum, that's not unusual. Be prepared to mess with drivers and other Windows glitches, and be prepared to do some some web surfing for troubleshooting tips.

2. I installed the Google framework and Play app, and found that a huge number of apps are either listed as incompatible with the Fire and cannot be downloaded, or do not show up at all. Getting around that would have required more tweaking than I was prepared to do.

3. It looks like in-app purchasing still tried to use the Amazon store a lot of the time, and between that and the Play store's dearth of Fire compatible apps, having Play proved to be of virtually no benefit to me.
There are plenty of other markets and sources for apks, so I uninstalled the Google apps.

So now I'm debating if I'm even going to keep the (switchable) rooting in place in case I do ever have need for it, or just revert everything fully back to stock.

If you are willing to give up the Amazon UI, Amazon video, and some of the tighter integration, you, can, of course, replace the whole system with a different rom, like GedeROM, and have full use of all the Google stuff.
I highly recommend this ROM:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1475054

I wanted the most optimized, functional, and stable version of Android specifically for the Kindle Fire. After do a lot of research I installed that one. MobileRead member Dengar had pointed me to that one. I've been running it for a full 2 months and it is absolutely fantastic.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #393
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Back on the topic of Must have apps
I use THIS ONE
to make my kindle fire function similar to the galaxy note's
onscreen annotation feature.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:16 AM   #394
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
My all time favorite game for my Motorola Droid Razor is now finally available in the Amazom app store for the Fire and its absolutely FREE

Safe Trip or Not

http://www.amazon.com/Gnome-Engineer...ords=safe+trip

Its basically the classic card game Mille Bornes

This game is so addicting and fun. MY wife and I play it 100 times each day. The developer always listens to suggestions and fixes any bugs Ive sent him immediately,

Check it out. You wont be sorry. Its a simple but very fun game that allows you to play against the device/Fire or multiple bot players or even with another real life player at your home. Playing it on the 7" Fires screen is so much better than on the smaller phones screen but its great either way.

Get it now and tell me what you think.
Be sure to go thru the tutorial at the beginning to learn the rules if you never played Milles Bornes before or read some instructions online on WikiPedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille_Bornes

or

http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/MilleBornes.PDF
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #395
user5599
user5599 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
I like Nzb Leech, it allows me to download binaries from usenet straight to my kindle

http://www.amazon.com/Przemek-Kowalc.../dp/B009MRXQP8
user5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #396
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by user5599 View Post
I like Nzb Leech, it allows me to download binaries from usenet straight to my kindle

http://www.amazon.com/Przemek-Kowalc.../dp/B009MRXQP8
Like NZB Leech also. I got the paid version so I can link my NZBMatrix account to look up items and download them right within the app. Very fast and convenient.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:14 AM   #397
Janet16
Enthusiast
Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wow, great collections! I think I could recommend this to my father, liking reading much.
I think Mantano must be his favorite!
Janet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #398
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
My all time favorite game for my Motorola Droid Razor is now finally available in the Amazom app store for the Fire and its absolutely FREE

Safe Trip or Not

http://www.amazon.com/Gnome-Engineer...ords=safe+trip
Ahhh! Thanks for the reminder. I played a ton of that on my KF, happy to have it on the HD now.

Last edited by carld; 11-24-2012 at 02:49 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #399
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Back on the topic of Must have apps
I use THIS ONE
to make my kindle fire function similar to the galaxy note's
onscreen annotation feature.
Your link doesn't work at the moment. Looks like it's Quickmemo.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #400
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I LOVE the App You Tube that came with the Fire HD.... It Downloads the Movies Into the Fire You can play them any time any where no wifi needed!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #401
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I just fell in love with Taptu - for news/blog/rss/social media aggregation. Highly customizable.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #402
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I just fell in love with Taptu - for news/blog/rss/social media aggregation. Highly customizable.
It looks like a Pulse clone. I wonder what the difference is?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #403
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It looks like a Pulse clone. I wonder what the difference is?
I'm guessing the main difference is that I saw TapTu before I saw Pulse.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #404
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm guessing the main difference is that I saw TapTu before I saw Pulse.
Looks like with Taptu you can merge Streams. This is a nice feature.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #405
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yeah... the merging ability is handy-dandy, as I'm finding out! Merging some of my "slower" streams into one moderately active stream helps keep things from getting too stagnant.