Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
Jack - thanks for that comparison. One question: How does the screen of the Sony PRS300 compare to the K2's screen? I assume they're about the same, since you said it is close to an apples:apples comparison.

To me, that screen would be the biggest selling point. I don't really feel any eye fatigue from reading the K2, but I can't help but think the K3 would be better somehow. I guess it is just a matter of getting an ergonomics report from one of y'all now.
I can only go on memory as far as the K2 or Sony 505 go, as I no longer own either. But the 300 screen is very similar as they all have 2nd generation e-Ink screens. I'm not sure about the K2 but it might have a 16 grayscale rather than the 8 grayscale of the PRS-300, but the 300 seems to be on par with the 505 and the K2. So I would definitely say that the Pearl (3rd generation) screen on the K3 will be much better than the screen on the K2.

In person you can see a slightly lighter screen background on the Kindle DXG compared to the Sony 300. But the big standout is that the text is much darker and sharper on the Kindle DXG compared to the Sony 300, and this is very evident in my photos, especially the second one.

BTW, by apples to apples comparison I meant that I was using the same font on both readers and the same bit of text and since I stacked the Sony 300 on top of the Kindle DXG and snapped the photo they both had roughly the same lighting for the photo. The photos are as is directly from the camera with no processing done. I was trying to get a what you see is what you get photo comparison.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-23-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #17
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I would like to know what they use to gage a 50% better contrast. Is it simply how they view it or is there some type of standard that is used to determine it?
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
I would like to know what they use to gage a 50% better contrast. Is it simply how they view it or is there some type of standard that is used to determine it?
I couldn't find anything on PVI/eInk's site that mentions the method they use to measure contrast. It just says that Viziplex and Pearl have approx the same White State Reflectivity (40%) and that the minimum contrast ratios are 6:1 for Viziplex and 10:1 for Pearl.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #19
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I couldn't find anything on PVI/eInk's site that mentions the method they use to measure contrast. It just says that Viziplex and Pearl have approx the same White State Reflectivity (40%) and that the minimum contrast ratios are 6:1 for Viziplex and 10:1 for Pearl.
That's the reference that I've seen used in reviews or on blogs when they actually explain why the contrast if 50% better.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
Impact Resistance?
I didn't see an advertising that the K3 can take a hit. The K2 had some advertising that suggested it could take a minimal drop. Now, we are told that the K3 is 20% smaller, with the same screen size. I can see that the page turn buttons are tiny. No mention of impact resistance. Makes me wonder, but I guess I will have to wait a while until one of you early adopters drops yours...
I'll let you know. I have a history of dropping eReaders.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote