Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
E-paper tablets, for editting documents

Hey folks. Got a question for ya...

A preliminary Google search didn't yield the device I'm looking for, so it's entirely possible it may not exist yet. But if anyone knows, it's you guys.

I'm putting some thought into how to make the news room more eco-friendly. Editing on a standard screen totally sucks - I, and others, don't seem to be able to catch as much as we would on paper. It also discourages editor/writer collaboration when everything is done online with computers. I want to stop doing it, but I also don't want us to go through 5 trees a day like newsrooms of yore.

So I was thinking about e-paper/e-ink. I'd be looking to buy 2-5 devices that do the following:

1. Allow written editing of typed documents.

2. Allow these marked up versions to be uploaded online, or to a computer.

3. Has lots of screen real estate - 9-inch or more. Preferably more. As close to paper-size as it gets.

4. Written input is precise enough that comments written in margins would be legible.

5. E-ink. I think the glow of LCD makes us read more sloppily, and thus edit more sloppily.

Does this device even exist? If not, is there something that comes really close? What am I looking at price-wise?

Thank you guys!

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 12-01-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Go figure my title has a typo in it!
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oooo...

This is the closest thing I've found. Anyone know anything about it?
http://noteslate.com/index.htm

Is there anything else like it? As far as I can tell this is almost exactly what I'm looking for... but it appears to be a concept project, not a real one.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 12-01-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I thought I heard at one point that the NoteSlate was Vaporware.. I could be wrong. Maybe the Entourage Edge. The company is no longer in business so you'd have to get it off Ebay.

If you find something let me know, I'm looking for the same thing..

Oh there is also the Asus EEE Note, EA800.. its grayscale LCD..
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
I thought I heard at one point that the NoteSlate was Vaporware.. I could be wrong. Maybe the Entourage Edge. The company is no longer in business so you'd have to get it off Ebay.

If you find something let me know, I'm looking for the same thing..
Yup, that's what it looks like.

Is the Boogie Board useful for this? What about one of the larger ereaders like the Pocketbook 903?

I may very well be looking for something that's still a pipe dream.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Most e-ink devices aren't meant for editing, only for reading.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
Yup, that's what it looks like.

Is the Boogie Board useful for this? What about one of the larger ereaders like the Pocketbook 903?

I may very well be looking for something that's still a pipe dream.
No, Boogie board is not made for what you want to do. I have one of those, I use it as a memo pad when I take customer service calls. Perfect if you have to go through tons of paper to write down information that you don't need to keep beyond the call.

Really Entourage Edge is the only one that I know of that allows you to annotate books, or take web pages and turn them into Epubs for annotations. It might be a bit big and bulky for what you want.

I'd wait a month. CES 2012 is next month. We should get word of if there is any new device with this feature on the horizon.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Most e-ink devices aren't meant for editing, only for reading.
Agreed. I think its because companies have no vision. They just throw a bunch of crap out to see what sticks to the wall lol..

For me, a device like he's looking for is a no brainer. Although I can never figure out why Steve Jobs hates pens so much when he could steal the artist, note writing community before Windows 8 comes out. Windows excels at the pen paired with wacom but I'm way off topic..
Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I think editing (WYSIWYG) requires more screen refreshing than e-ink is good at. And, I don't think the market is there for an e-ink full tablet/editing environment. Especially a large screen one. I think people would prefer a real tablet for the kinds of prices a large screen goes for.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I think editing (WYSIWYG) requires more screen refreshing than e-ink is good at. And, I don't think the market is there for an e-ink full tablet/editing environment. Especially a large screen one. I think people would prefer a real tablet for the kinds of prices a large screen goes for.
I'm just talking about the mark-up. The input of the edits would still be on a computer. It wouldn't require any refreshing at all, apart from page turns. It would just be a lot better for collaboration, and also for making sure editors catch as much as we can. Computers suck for both of those things, and LCD tablets suck for the latter.

It wouldn't be a full tablet at all. All I'd want it to do is let me write on text docs. It could easily sell for a lot less than a full tablet.

Evidently the market is there. There's a lot of angst and anger over the fact that the NoteSlate is probably vaporware. I'm not the only one who was very disappointed to find out it will probably never make it to market.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
what format are the documents in and/or what software are they created and edited in?

edit 2- every time a pixel changes color on an eink display is a refresh. so to draw an x or underline something IS refreshing. its just localized "partial" refreshes rather than full page refreshing.

edit- The Noteslate isnt even vaporware. its much less than that. Its an art school student design project used to show their capability with cg rendering software. nothing more. the type of display the student purports to use is not even real for it to become a real concept product as described. there was even recently another version done by a second student that started to get the same kind of attention, used the same font and "laser carved" branding etc. ridiculous

the whole Noteslate debacle shows how little journalism is done by web "reporters"

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 12-06-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I don't believe you're going to find an e-ink device which meets your needs.

Best option would probably be a Wacom Cintiq (if you can be tethered to a desk) or a Tablet PC.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Have you seen the Onyx Boox M92 that's coming out? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EL43...ature=youtu.be The demonstrator is annotating a document at around the 7:34 mark.

The M92 is discussed in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157607

Or perhaps the Hanvon WISEreader E920 may be an option in the near future. I read that you can imbed annotations. I don't think it's sold in the US yet, but maybe soon.

Does anyone know if the Jetbook Color would be an option?
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote