Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #31
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I found on one site a 1.8 amp figure.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #32
markT4
Enthusiast
markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.

Device: none
This kind of relates to this topic but is the usb connection on the Vox USB micro 5-pin or does it have a different amounts of pins? I looking in getting backup usb data cables.
markT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #33
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I would strongly suspect the Vox uses a "standard" USB micro pin layout as data transfer works using other "standard" cables.

I, for one, would be interested in know where you have located five pin USB data cables.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #34
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louden77 View Post
I think the idea of "drop in" prongs for the wall charger is great. The problem is finding alternative prongs. I've got a US/Canada charger but I'm going to Australia. Where can I get an Australian plate? I know I can get an adapter but that seems to defeat the purpose and design of this nice charger.
I *always* travel with a surge protector. So, on any international travels I'm going to bring along a North American power bar with the male AC power end lopped off. Then I'll purchase a surge protector in that country along with a male plug. Then attach the male plug to my North American power bar.

Making sure, of course, that every device I bring with me clearly supports 240 VAC/50 Hz.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #35
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by markT4 View Post
This kind of relates to this topic but is the usb connection on the Vox USB micro 5-pin or does it have a different amounts of pins? I looking in getting backup usb data cables.
There are 5 pin positions. I believe the standard Micro-B has position 4 not used, but when I look at the Vox connector, it seems like there's a contact at #4. Maybe that's how the battery indicator gets its signal. A generic 2 amp charger will work, just not show it's charging on the Vox.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #36
markT4
Enthusiast
markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
I would strongly suspect the Vox uses a "standard" USB micro pin layout as data transfer works using other "standard" cables.

I, for one, would be interested in know where you have located five pin USB data cables.
From what I can tell from various sites and Wikipedia micro-B 5 pin USB is the standard cable used for practically all devices. I was just confuse because I would of thought 4-pin would be standard as that what is standard for regular usb.

I'm looking at Monoprice as they have good quality cables at the cheapest price. I'm also getting a 7" galaxy tab film screen protector from this site too as it's only around $3 with shipping to Canada (order a bunch of items and shipping is cheaper per item).
markT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #37
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by markT4 View Post
From what I can tell from various sites and Wikipedia micro-B 5 pin USB is the standard cable used for practically all devices. I was just confuse because I would of thought 4-pin would be standard as that what is standard for regular usb.
Whereas from my experiences I would've thought that 4 pin was standard because the two micro USB extension/angle adapter cables I purchased wouldn't charge the Vox. Also the 5th pin is only used by a few devices which, so far, appear to be devices which require higher amp charging rates. Also my reading indicates that a resister is also used on that fifth pin in some cases to help identify the charger to the device.

So now when I poke about on Ebay I see 5 pin explicitly mentioned on eBay. So just for grins and giggles I think I'll purchase one or two as appropriate and see what happens. Besides I'm only out a few $$$s it would appear.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #38
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Some days I'm smarter than other days. Do a search on micro usb 5 pin cable at ebay and there are lots of hits.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #39
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
There's certainly something different about the Vox charger. I've just charged my HTC Desire smartphone with it, and it showed an icon I've never seen before. It looks like the front view of a car.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #40
Ace210
Ace210 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Well I can confirm that a Mophie 2.1, 5V external battery will not charge the Vox or that a micro USB 'B' cable connected to a USB wall charger will not work either. Only the provided Kobo wall charger charges device
Ace210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #41
Ace210
Ace210 began at the beginning.

Well I can confirm that a Mophie 2.1, 5V external battery will not charge the Vox or that a micro USB 'B' cable connected to a USB wall charger will not work either. Only the provided Kobo wall charger seems to work
Ace210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #42
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace210 View Post
Well I can confirm that a Mophie 2.1, 5V external battery will not charge the Vox
Note that while the box I found would not charge the Vox it would keep the Vox running for about 12 hours before the Vox started to use it's own internal battery.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #43
DHR
DHR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original, Kobo Vox, iPad1, HP TouchPad, BB PlayBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSmith View Post
How about getting the prons in Australia when you get there or order them online from Aus beforehand?
By all means, get prawns in Australia!
DHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #44
DHR
DHR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original, Kobo Vox, iPad1, HP TouchPad, BB PlayBook
It really is inconvenient that the Kobo doesn't use standard USB 2.0 power for charging.

I wondered if it was following the USB 3.0 standard, but that only allows 900 mA, not 2000 mA.

The iPad requires 2100 mA so many USB sockets cannot supply it, but those that do seem to be able to charge the iPad.

The ASUS Transformer requires its own charger too. It uses the microUSB connector. I don't know exactly what the limitations are.
DHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #45
renee0986
Enthusiast
renee0986 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHR View Post
It really is inconvenient that the Kobo doesn't use standard USB 2.0 power for charging.

I wondered if it was following the USB 3.0 standard, but that only allows 900 mA, not 2000 mA.

The iPad requires 2100 mA so many USB sockets cannot supply it, but those that do seem to be able to charge the iPad.

The ASUS Transformer requires its own charger too. It uses the microUSB connector. I don't know exactly what the limitations are.
I have a USB 3.0 port on my new laptop which is what I usually connect my Kobo to and it will not charge from there. It's really too bad that you can't charge from the USB cord. With my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy SII) it comes with a USB cord and a little prong block that you plug the USB cord into in order to use it as a wall charger. This feature is wonderful when travelling now having to take a million cords for everything to get tangled in baggage.

My Vox is like a child to me so I am more than a little hesitant to buy a third party charger to use with it for fear of shortening the longevity of the batter prematurely. Although, it would be nice if some sort of update along the lines could correct this and enable the device to charge via USB.

Since I am not too familiar with technology and how it works I don't know if Kobo would be able to do this via say firmware update...but it would be nice.
renee0986 is offline   Reply With Quote